Shell Energy Retail "fast paced" Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Shell Energy Retail Employee Reviews about "fast paced"

Updated 11 Jun 2018

4.3
Shell Energy Retail CEO Colin Crooks
Colin Crooks
Pros
Cons
  • "Pension scheme could be improved(in 20 reviews)

• "You don't get sick pay for the first few days which is a shame(in 16 reviews)

Reviews about "fast paced"

Return to all Reviews

"Excellent place to learn and grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Flexibly (Ability to work from home and start/finish times) - Base Salary is Competitive - Research days - to go and find out about new tools and start a conversation internally - Software department culture: cohesive, collaborative, friendly, and fast paced and strong agile delivery philosophy . - Innovative approaches with technology to new business needs with good open conversation with business... stakeholders. - Excellent place to learn and develop. - I have found the high street stores discounts very useful (saved a few quid) - Fruity Friday (Free fruit on a Friday) - Management (In the Core Platform / Business Technology Group) is some of the best I have worked with. Clear communication - right from the start. Set clear expectations. Always happy to help remove blockers without mic

Cons

- Rest of benefits package (Pension, Maternity / Paternity etc) - Communication of long term vision (hopefully to be address in up coming company day) - Canteen lacks choice and is expensive - Facilities team are more often blockers than facilitators, for example booking rooms is like a game of roulette. Which leads to loss of efficiency and effectiveness.

Advice to Management

I can imagine quite difficult problems to solve, but have a look at Pensions and Maternity / Paternity.

Shell Energy Retail2018-06-11

"Culture, friends, mentors and more"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Coventry, England

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working in development has always been - for me - a struggle to work in a place where the team work together, teach and learn from each other and with no elitism. Culture You are constantly encouraged to better yourself as an engineer from your team mates, leads, principles and above. Since being here my skill's have improved further as well as my knowledge and as a person. With the introduction of internal... user groups for certain tech and presentations you can watch or give, the culture is a breath of fresh air. Team mates There is a lot of knowledge which is shared without any issues. Everyone is there to help whenever they can, from software engineers and up. Tools The world of web development is a fast paced and constantly changing, given the chance to explore with research days allows your knowledge to grow and the products we write then benefit. Our tool set is constantly growing.

Cons

Only one I can think of is to have a better pension contribution, but that is clutching at straws!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and culture you provide to allow me/us to enjoy work so much!

Shell Energy Retail2018-05-04
  3. "Senior Project Manager"

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time

Pros

Fast paced, lots of opportunity to shine & make a real difference, flexible working, friendly staff.

Cons

Organisation structure is unclear as the company has grown organically, very quickly within a short space of time. Changes are afoot to resolve the structure clarity - organisation wide comms are poor and the internal comms teams are not effective at dealing with difficult messages (they require direction rather than using their expertise)

Advice to Management

Resolve the organisation structure which would prevent good staff from leaving

Shell Energy Retail2017-12-18

"Fast paced, exciting workplace"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Coventry, England

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time for more than a year

Pros

Exciting, cutting edge technology used daily. Fast-paced but time for learning with research days. Breakout and quiet areas available when needed as it’s an often noisy open office environment. We are treated like adults with no micro-management. We are trusted to do our work whether in the office or at home. The management hierarchy is flat and mainly excellent. They are mostly recruited via promotion within the... department so they know how to treat you to get the best out of you. We have quarterly team building outings which are great. Provision to go to conferences and training is minimal but available. The salary is very good and inline or better than the best companies in the area.

Cons

The open office is distracting but there is provision to work from home and recently added quiet areas. Headphones recommended. We need more ability to exercise while at work. The benefits are quite poor compared to the salary (they are improving though), for example the pension is a very low percentage and the annual bonus is usually not paid or a small percentage of it is. Although it does depend on company... performance overall so even if your department is doing very well you might not get any bonus which is unfortunate.

Advice to Management

Look at the pension and bonus provision. Look at bonus per department performance. Individual budget for training, books and conferences would be good. Flexible working with core hours 10-4 is helpful to parents. Office lifestyle is sedentary so more provision for exercise at work. Long standing employees have a stagnated salary not inline with new employees so they leave. Isn’t it worth looking after your... current employees and keep the years of experience? Why do people have to leave then come back to get the going rate for the job rather than proper pay increases?

Shell Energy Retail2017-11-18
  5. "Great Opportunities"

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working at First utility has provided me with great challenges that helped me develop my skills and my career at the same time. It has a fast paced environment, always evolving, which offers great opportunities for driving and implementing change. I love how I work with my team and how we complement each other.

Cons

I would suggest the company communicates more internally about: - career development opportunities - inspirational success stories

Shell Energy Retail2017-08-31
  6. "Proud of working for First Utility - Fantastic place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Warwick, West Midlands, England

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Having worked at First Utility for over 7 years, I’ve seen the Company come a long way with many changes all aiding a better experience for both employees and customers. Starting off as a Customer Service Adviser back in 2009, I’ve been through a variety of roles (including Management) and involved in projects which has made it an exciting and fast-paced organisation to work for – but also highlights the development... opportunities available. Personally I'm a real believer of First Utility, what it stands for, the journey, and the people make it the place it is today. Below are some Pros of working for First Utility:- - Friendly and comfortable atmosphere - Helpful colleagues (from all levels) - Fantastic development opportunities - Variety of highly skilled individuals and Teams - Great set of values - Promotes employee suggestions and creativity - Healthcare benefits (Bupa etc) - Charity involvement (including cake sales!) - Very forward thinking …and lots more!

Cons

There’s not a great deal of Cons for First Utility compared to the Pros in my experience, it's always been a great place to work for:- - Parking has become an issue, but in the grand scheme of things – is minor. - Maternity pay could be better!

Advice to Management

The Managers are always supportive, but also push you for development (if that's what you want), provide advice and are very understanding - keep it up! :-)

Shell Energy Retail2017-04-12

"Fast grwoing company but needs to invest in management development to properly support that growth."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England

I worked at Shell Energy Retail full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fast paced, great opportunity for progression and to make your mark.

Cons

Progression through the ranks happens at pace with newly promoted managers lacking skills and experience and in desperate need of training and development. This can have a negative impact on employee relations

Advice to Management

Develop a strong talent pipeline and invest in training and developing people ready to progress trough the ranks.

Shell Energy Retail2017-02-07
  8. "Fast paced, growing company - plenty of opportunity."

in Warwick, West Midlands, England

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail

Pros

Having been at First Utility for nearly 6 years I have seen the company grow. It is a fast paced environment with a very Agile approach which means every day is a new day. There are plenty of opportunities to progress and develop your career - the leadership team are very supportive of this too. There is a lot of opportunity to be pioneering and innovative, ideas are always encouraged with the customer at the... heart of all that is done at First Utility.

Cons

Due to the rapid growth of the company some processes & systems are still not as mature or robust as required - however there is plenty of opportunity to feed into the improvements of these.

Shell Energy Retail2016-09-16

"Excellent Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warwick, West Midlands, England

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time for more than a year

Pros

Non Corporate - a place where your ideas get heard and implemented quickly. Felt I can make a real difference Fast Paced - all working towards a clear vision given by CEO and Execs but with the freedom on how to get there Fruity Friday and free tea and coffee . The offices are bright, airy and pleasant to work in Nice walks by the canal at lunchtime. Flexible start and finish times and home working 1 day a... week Great manager who is really supportive

Cons

With a start up feel sometimes the priorities can change quite quickly. If you are not adaptable and happy to work with a level of ambiguity you might struggle.

Advice to Management

Invest more in your employer brand and let more people know what a great place this is to work!

Shell Energy Retail2016-04-08

"Head of department"

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time

Pros

Great culture and fast paced

Cons

As a growing business there are still some things to iron out

Advice to Management

Build relationship across the business quickly

Shell Energy Retail2016-03-09