Shell Energy Retail Employee Reviews about "fast paced"

Updated 11 Jun 2018

4.3
Shell Energy Retail CEO Colin Crooks
Colin Crooks
Pros
  • "Good benefits, regular feedback from managers, good working environment(in 19 reviews)

• "Their agile working environment allows for flexible working when required and is encouraged(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Pension scheme could be improved(in 20 reviews)

• "You don't get sick pay for the first few days which is a shame(in 17 reviews)

Reviews about "fast paced"

Return to all Reviews

"Excellent place to learn and grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Flexibly (Ability to work from home and start/finish times) - Base Salary is Competitive - Research days - to go and find out about new tools and start a conversation internally - Software department culture: cohesive, collaborative, friendly, and fast paced and strong agile delivery philosophy . - Innovative approaches with technology to new business needs with good open conversation with business stakeholders. - Excellent place to learn and develop. - I have found the high street stores discounts very useful (saved a few quid) - Fruity Friday (Free fruit on a Friday) - Management (In the Core Platform / Business Technology Group) is some of the best I have worked with. Clear communication - right from the start. Set clear expectations. Always happy to help remove blockers without mic

Cons

- Rest of benefits package (Pension, Maternity / Paternity etc) - Communication of long term vision (hopefully to be address in up coming company day) - Canteen lacks choice and is expensive - Facilities team are more often blockers than facilitators, for example booking rooms is like a game of roulette. Which leads to loss of efficiency and effectiveness.

June 25, 2018Head of Talent

Thanks very much for taking the time to leave a review. It's great to hear you mention the pros of our approach to agile working. We've had some great feedback so far from colleagues taking advantage of working in ways to support productivity in their roles, from working at home, to working on the cafe tables by the coffee pod. Thank you for the positive feedback on our BTG Department especially, innovation in the tech space has always been a cornerstone of our culture and many of our colleagues comment on the collaboration between teams in this space - great to hear. It's been quite a journey for us bringing HQ in Warwick to our Coventry office and the improvements continue. Rooms have been a culprit for a bit of confusion certainly wherever I've worked in the past and I know this was a little more difficult when we all initially came together. Hopefully you've noticed the daily booking sheets on the door of each meeting room, which have helped communicate bookings and free time and save confusion/crossed wires. We know that with the growth and change we're fortunate enough to be experiencing, that we need to consider all things relevant to our people along that journey, as our people make our business. As an evolving company, those things won't go unnoticed. Thanks again for your feedback.

"Culture, friends, mentors and more"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Coventry, England

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working in development has always been - for me - a struggle to work in a place where the team work together, teach and learn from each other and with no elitism. Culture You are constantly encouraged to better yourself as an engineer from your team mates, leads, principles and above. Since being here my skill's have improved further as well as my knowledge and as a person. With the introduction of internal user groups for certain tech and presentations you can watch or give, the culture is a breath of fresh air. Team mates There is a lot of knowledge which is shared without any issues. Everyone is there to help whenever they can, from software engineers and up. Tools The world of web development is a fast paced and constantly changing, given the chance to explore with research days allows your knowledge to grow and the products we write then benefit. Our tool set is constantly growing.

Cons

Only one I can think of is to have a better pension contribution, but that is clutching at straws!

June 25, 2018Head of Talent

Thanks very much for your positive review! The collaboration and innovation in our tech teams is something we are proud of. Fostering that culture helps everyone to feel comfortable in sharing new ideas, knowledge and challenging thinking to help us pioneer in this ever-developing arena. We've had some great feedback on the research days, with that freedom to explore and expand on key areas of interest. Thank you for your contribution to our success and sharing your enjoyment of your role and team, long may that continue!

3. "Senior Project Manager"

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time

Pros

Fast paced, lots of opportunity to shine & make a real difference, flexible working, friendly staff.

Cons

Organisation structure is unclear as the company has grown organically, very quickly within a short space of time. Changes are afoot to resolve the structure clarity - organisation wide comms are poor and the internal comms teams are not effective at dealing with difficult messages (they require direction rather than using their expertise)

January 23, 2018Head of Talent

Thanks very much for your review. It's great to hear you mention the opportunity our colleagues have to shine and make a real difference, especially as we've recently launched First Forward and our mentoring scheme to encourage everyone to drive their development to reach their full potential. Thank you for your feedback on organisation wide comms. It would be helpful to hear more on this if you'd be open to having a conversation in confidence. Please feel free to drop me an email. Thanks again, Ellen.

"Fast paced, exciting workplace"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Coventry, England

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time for more than a year

Pros

Exciting, cutting edge technology used daily. Fast-paced but time for learning with research days. Breakout and quiet areas available when needed as it’s an often noisy open office environment. We are treated like adults with no micro-management. We are trusted to do our work whether in the office or at home. The management hierarchy is flat and mainly excellent. They are mostly recruited via promotion within the department so they know how to treat you to get the best out of you. We have quarterly team building outings which are great. Provision to go to conferences and training is minimal but available. The salary is very good and inline or better than the best companies in the area.

Cons

The open office is distracting but there is provision to work from home and recently added quiet areas. Headphones recommended. We need more ability to exercise while at work. The benefits are quite poor compared to the salary (they are improving though), for example the pension is a very low percentage and the annual bonus is usually not paid or a small percentage of it is. Although it does depend on company performance overall so even if your department is doing very well you might not get any bonus which is unfortunate.

January 23, 2018Head of Talent

Thanks very much for your review. It's really great to hear you mention the trust to do your work and to work from home, that's certainly the environment we've been nurturing, particularly with agile working in our new office space. I understand when you mention the environment can be distracting at times, especially as we're open plan in the main, but it's great to hear you've been making use of the quite working areas as well as personal headphones. We have tried our best to cater for different working preferences, based on the survey we completed before everyone came together in our Coventry office. We do fill the majority of our vacancies internally, so I'm glad to hear you've recognised that in your department. As you mention, we are working to improve our benefits package and there will be more to come on that in 2018. Once the work on our additional car park is complete we'll be installing a 'Trim Trail' to help encourage more activity during breaks. We have a healthy eating week coming up in January and have had a great uptake recently on our pedometer challenge. Thanks again for your thoughts and suggestions, much appreciated, Ellen

5. "Great Opportunities"

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working at First utility has provided me with great challenges that helped me develop my skills and my career at the same time. It has a fast paced environment, always evolving, which offers great opportunities for driving and implementing change. I love how I work with my team and how we complement each other.

Cons

I would suggest the company communicates more internally about: - career development opportunities - inspirational success stories

October 2, 2017Chief People Officer

Great feedback, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. You're right - we can do more to communicate internally about career development opportunities whilst also celebrating those of our colleagues who are just so inspirational. We have so many things to share and we're not short of successes! I've shared your feedback with the senior team and they are keen to act on it - we'll be planning some things for early 2018 so watch this space. Thanks. John

6. "Proud of working for First Utility - Fantastic place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Warwick, West Midlands, England

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Having worked at First Utility for over 7 years, I’ve seen the Company come a long way with many changes all aiding a better experience for both employees and customers. Starting off as a Customer Service Adviser back in 2009, I’ve been through a variety of roles (including Management) and involved in projects which has made it an exciting and fast-paced organisation to work for – but also highlights the development opportunities available. Personally I'm a real believer of First Utility, what it stands for, the journey, and the people make it the place it is today. Below are some Pros of working for First Utility:- - Friendly and comfortable atmosphere - Helpful colleagues (from all levels) - Fantastic development opportunities - Variety of highly skilled individuals and Teams - Great set of values - Promotes employee suggestions and creativity - Healthcare benefits (Bupa etc) - Charity involvement (including cake sales!) - Very forward thinking …and lots more!

Cons

There’s not a great deal of Cons for First Utility compared to the Pros in my experience, it's always been a great place to work for:- - Parking has become an issue, but in the grand scheme of things – is minor. - Maternity pay could be better!

April 12, 2017Chief People Officer

Hi. Thank you very much for your really detailed feedback. First Utility has certainly come a long way in the last 5 years - we had less than 100 employees back then and now over 1400. Within a fast growth business there are loads of opportunities for personal growth and it sounds as though you've benefited from the many options. There are things we want to improve, like the introduction of more formal development routes and employee benefits. In May we're launching a benefit programme available only to First Utility employees to help them get the most from their salary - look out for 10 May. We're looking at our car parking and have new options at Warwick, In Coventry we're talking with the City Council about options they can help with - we're certainly onto it. I hope your next 5 years is as good as the last. Join

"Fast grwoing company but needs to invest in management development to properly support that growth."

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England

I worked at Shell Energy Retail full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fast paced, great opportunity for progression and to make your mark.

Cons

Progression through the ranks happens at pace with newly promoted managers lacking skills and experience and in desperate need of training and development. This can have a negative impact on employee relations

May 10, 2017Chief People Officer

Thanks very much for your feedback. First Utility is a young business and has grown from less than 100 employees in 2012 to over 1200 directly employed people today - when a business grows at such a pace it's perhaps not a surprise that the talent pipeline struggles to keep up. We're investing more in the recruitment and development of our people and have secured support from 2 Apprenticeship providers who will work with us and the Contact Team. Attracting and keeping the best talent is our focus as we enter the next phase of our business development. Perhaps you can consider returning and experiencing the change for yourself? Thanks again

8. "Fast paced, growing company - plenty of opportunity."

in Warwick, West Midlands, England

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail

Pros

Having been at First Utility for nearly 6 years I have seen the company grow. It is a fast paced environment with a very Agile approach which means every day is a new day. There are plenty of opportunities to progress and develop your career - the leadership team are very supportive of this too. There is a lot of opportunity to be pioneering and innovative, ideas are always encouraged with the customer at the heart of all that is done at First Utility.

Cons

Due to the rapid growth of the company some processes & systems are still not as mature or robust as required - however there is plenty of opportunity to feed into the improvements of these.

"Excellent Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warwick, West Midlands, England

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time for more than a year

Pros

Non Corporate - a place where your ideas get heard and implemented quickly. Felt I can make a real difference Fast Paced - all working towards a clear vision given by CEO and Execs but with the freedom on how to get there Fruity Friday and free tea and coffee . The offices are bright, airy and pleasant to work in Nice walks by the canal at lunchtime. Flexible start and finish times and home working 1 day a week Great manager who is really supportive

Cons

With a start up feel sometimes the priorities can change quite quickly. If you are not adaptable and happy to work with a level of ambiguity you might struggle.

"Head of department"

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time

Pros

Great culture and fast paced

Cons

As a growing business there are still some things to iron out

Found 11 reviews