Samsung Research America Reviews

3.5
Samsung Research America CEO Joon Lee
Joon Lee
Pros
Cons
  • "There is no cons to work for SRA(in 12 reviews)

• "There is no stock so the overall package is medium in Silicon Valley(in 12 reviews)

1. "Great Benefits package, good team"

Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Samsung Research America full-time

Pros

The health benefits premium and co-pay are very low - when you compare the cash comp to the premium they are charging employees per month, the share is definitely in favor of employee. The team that I work in is great, flexible and accountable for their work.

Cons

Shared services model is a hit or miss - sometimes the response comes very quickly, but sometimes they give you an answer, which does not seem to address the true issue.

"Unrewarding Toxic Workplace Culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Samsung Research America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Engineers have great freedom in their daily technical work and the technology is exciting. They really support doing innovative research and make it a real part of your measured performance. You can learn a lot and grow your technical skills here up to a point. No pre-commit code review. Managers do not to micromanage.

Cons

Toxic: A climate of fear prevails. The management is highly unstable and untrustworthy. All decisions are made solely based on political considerations. Managers make promises they know they can not keep, steal ideas and credit, and undermine each other in a zero sum game of musical chairs. The problem is long past 1 or 2 bad individuals. Unrewarding: Nothing ever has any impact or ever gets used by Samsung Customers. You will not receive credit for the good work you do. It will be stolen or left unappreciated. If you were robbed, betrayed, or fooled by any dirty tricks they consider that your own fault for not being capable. Bad behavior is rarely punished as the bad manager shifts the blame to some other (probably bad) manager. Viewed as Overpaid Cog: A large share of the workers are on sponsored visas and this unbalanced power dynamic is being abused by the managers. Even if you are not held hostage to a visa they will treat you poorly because they can and will replace you with a cheaper visa worker. Or they will send the entire project overseas to a country with an entire team of cheaper workers. Siloed: There is no shared code base or data warehouse. Everything is highly siloed down to the lowest level. That includes individual contributors. Underpaid: While the cash portion of their compensation is not bad, since they have no RSUs you will make much less here. And they still believe they are paying you too much for work that can be done in their Chinese offices by workers who will work twice your hours. Unstable: Since the management is unstable you will work on many different things but will need to fight to pursue any of them in depth. Specialization is difficult here.

June 17, 2020Sr. manager HR Ops

Hello and Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear about your negative experienec at SRA. While we appreciate you taking the time to write us a review, we feel your comments do not represent who we are as a company or our company culture. We take pride in having a dynamic culture where everyone is valued. We are constantly evolving and making changes to to continue to make SRA a great place to work. Best of luck to you! We wish you the best in the future. Take care!

3. "Challenging work place"

I have been working at Samsung Research America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Start up feel, lots of challenges and areas to bring impact/improvements. Positive leadership and manager that cares about career path and mentoring. Cool, cutting edge products and projects

Cons

Conservative/stuffy company - not aware of current workplace practices in the valley . HQ in Korea dictates the path forward so it feels a little beauracratic and "this is how we do it" mentality. Improvement efforts are stifled.

May 12, 2020Sr. manager HR Ops

Hello and thank you for your review. Your feedback is very important to us because it help us continue to make SRA a great place to work. We appreciate it!

4. "Stay away from this company"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Samsung Research America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Brand name, good pay and benefits and work life balance

Cons

Poor management, top-down approach and a poor corporate culture

June 17, 2020Sr. manager HR Ops

Hello and thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are sorry you feel this way about your experience at SRA. Please know that we appreciate your feedback and are always working on making progress and improvements. If you have additional questions or concenrs please email us at HRFeedback@samsung.com.

5. "Over all good"

Current Employee - Design Technologist in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Samsung Research America full-time

Pros

Pretty good as a research lab

Cons

There is no stock for compensation

May 5, 2020Sr. manager HR Ops

Hello there! Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear you are enjoying your time at SRA. Have a great day!

6. "Every company has cons. This one has a lot more pros than cons."

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Samsung Research America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Samsung Electronics Ranks 6th in Interbrand’s Best Global Brands 2019. It's a well known and respected company. A lot of news are coming from Samsung. In a several innovation areas it leads Apple. Apple and everybody else use a lot of Samsung components in their products.

Cons

This is a Korean company with no US stocks. So Total Compensation suffers a lot because of this.

April 23, 2020Sr. manager HR Ops

Thank you for your feedback! We're glad to hear you are enjoying your time with us. Please know that your feedback is welcome and appreciated. If you have additional comments feel free to email us at HRFeedback@samsung.com. Have a great day!

7. "conflicting cultures"

I worked at Samsung Research America full-time

Pros

good pay, better than market average

Cons

bad management, weird management culture

April 3, 2020Sr. manager HR Ops

Hello and thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We appreciate you feedback and wish you the best in your future endeavors. Have a great day!

"Disappointment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Samsung Research America full-time

Pros

Healthcare and 401k benefits are okay but no stock options.

Cons

There are dirty politics all over. Management is incompetent. Promotions and rewards are unfair and biased.

April 14, 2020Sr. manager HR Ops

Hello and thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are sorry you feel this way about your experience at SRA. We value all of our current and former employees' feedback. We wish you the best in your future endeavors. Take care!

"not recommended"

Former Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Samsung Research America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nothing really, benefits seems better but they do not offer stocks. Even if Samsung stocks doubles you dont get anything.

Cons

It is a hostile environment to work. Constantly changing focus, they call this agile but dont have any idea what is agile. Terrible management without vision. I wish I could give -5.

April 14, 2020Sr. manager HR Ops

We are very sorry to hear this about your experience at SRA. We value your feedback and appreciate you taking the time to write us a review. We wish you the best.

"Favoritism and too much power to the executives"

Former Employee - Senior Software Q/A Test Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Samsung Research America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Goos work-life balance, spacious campus, lots of extra-curricular activities

Cons

There is no fairness when it comes to rewards and promotions. Upper management's favorite employees get undeserved benefits, and HR does not interfere.

April 8, 2020Sr. manager HR Ops

Hello and thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear you had bad experience in the performance review process. We strive to be transparent in all our internal processes and our Human Resources team is always there to listen and advocate for employees. Best of luck in your future endeavors. Take care!

Found 268 reviews