Samsung Austin Semiconductor Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Samsung Austin Semiconductor Reviews

Updated Dec 6, 2019

3.1
Samsung Austin Semiconductor President Gil Heyun Choi (no image)
Gil Heyun Choi
Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance may be lacking for critical roles(in 79 reviews)

• "All decisions from is made from Korea(in 57 reviews)

1. "If you don't mind being a cog in the system and career development is not important to you then go ahead"

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits Starting pay is okay but salary increase is not even enough to cover inflation

Cons

Zero career development Training consists of being given powerpoints and SOPs to read New employees are assigned "mentors" but everyone is too busy/involved with their own work to give you the time of day to answer questions or actually teach anything Sometimes people would rather fix the problem on their own instead of showing how it's done so you are still left not knowing how to do it next time. Upper management is micromanaging - will keep tabs on the minute you sign on in the morning Middle management is too busy dealing with upper management to actually provide guidance to their teams "Needs to be able to work independently" means you are on your own and no one will help you when you have questions

Samsung Austin Semiconductor2019-12-06
  2. "Avoid if you can"

Former Employee - Metals Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Compensation is reasonable if you negotiate well after interviews

Cons

Management tends to have a typical attitude that you would expect in a factory; a lot of politics and an obsession with "following checklists". This is not a place to showcase your creativity or thinking out of the box.

Samsung Austin Semiconductor2019-11-26
  3. "Not as bad as what many people say"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Same as all the other reviews for the most part. Many of the reviews state that there are no promotions, no career path, no contractor conversion. I started out as a tech 2 almost 10 years ago. Worked my way up to Sr. Tech even after having been performance managed early in my employment with SaS. There was an opportunity to interview for a supervisor position and I beat out several candidates for the position. To say that SaS doesn't promote is an exaggeration. Management isn't going to promote technicians that only come in for a paycheck and do what they are supposed to do. I busted my butt to get where I am, and was rewarded for my hard work. Want recognition? Do something to EARN it. This pretty much covers the career path too. That said, there is still plenty of a path from supervisor upwards. In regards to contractors, a lot of what was just stated above is still true. We hire many contractors, and if you're just another contractor that comes in, 'does his time' and goes home, don't expect to be converted. Many past questionable contractor conversions usually resulted in questionable SaS techs. We want top end techs, and to be a top tech it requires hard work. As stated above, if you're not willing to go above and beyond as a contractor, there isn't much incentive to convert. I have several former contractors on my team that are exceeding expectations now as SaS.

Cons

Sure there are long hours, and even longer as management, and I knew that before even interviewing for management. Sure, there are politics, but that goes for every business ever. Hard work speaks louder than being political. Former engineers complaining about long hours or being on call. The only engineers within my department that are on call are tool owners. Don't want to be on-call? Don't be a tool owner. Shift engineers work their shift and go home like everyone else. Being a tool owner is a fast track to bigger things with a better career path, but it involves hard work and sacrifice...see where this is going? Cons are much the same as other reviewers in regards to work/life balance, Korean direction, parking issues (for day-shift) need improved.

Samsung Austin Semiconductor2019-11-10
  4. "Samsung Austin R&D Center"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of good people to work with

Cons

Not much to say about

Samsung Austin Semiconductor2019-11-06
  5. "DONT JUST DONT COME HERE"

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

None that you cant find at a better and more stable company.

Cons

Everything you can imagine and much you cant fathom would be. Not kidding. Management is the worst. Email software sucks. Purchasing process really sucks. How they impliment changes sucks. How they function is beyond my comprehension. It's really bad.

Samsung Austin Semiconductor2019-12-03
  6. "Good company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great talent and ample resources

Cons

May decide to stop projects anytime

Samsung Austin Semiconductor2019-10-26

"Samsung Austin semi"

Former Employee - Staff Engineer

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time

Pros

Great benefits and work quality

Cons

Work life balance may be lacking for critical roles

Samsung Austin Semiconductor2019-10-08
  8. "Staff Engineer"

Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good health insurance. Can work less if you are in equipment team.

Cons

Had a Korean manager that not a right fit to the department. All people under are slave workers. No opportunity if you are staff engineer. No training given and just micro managing and reports are more important than solving problems.

Samsung Austin Semiconductor2019-11-12

"Good company with great health benefits"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Austin, TX
    No Opinion of CEO

Pros

Working at SARC, challenging work environment with really good compensation and bonus. Health benefits are good.

Cons

Work life balance can be better and there maternity/paternity policy was atrocious. Only recently have they started to improve that.

Samsung Austin Semiconductor2019-10-02
  10. "Very nice place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Staff

Pros

Good work culture and great place

Cons

none in particular..can be said about cons

Samsung Austin Semiconductor2019-10-03