Reynolds American Senior Division Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Updated 23 Apr 2019

2.7
Reynolds American CEO  Ricardo Oberlander
Ricardo Oberlander

"DO NOT TRUST THE PROCESS! Leave NOW. They are deleting negative reviews!"

Current Employee - Senior Division Manager in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Company vehicle Hard to get fired

Cons

Your product kills people Your work will not be recognized based on merits

Advice to Management

Do not allow people to be in leadership positions who aren't leaders. SDRs are lazy and over paid, get rid of them, reduce salaries.

Reynolds American2019-04-24

Current Employee - Senior Division Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The company culture has improved dramatically with new executive leadership.

Cons

Evaluating performance is too subjective. Still some "not good" people being promoted that should not be managing people.

Advice to Management

Abolish performance panels.

Reynolds American2018-10-28

"Times have changed..."

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

-Company vehicle ($175) -Benefits -401k Match -Pension (if applicable)

Cons

-Lack of transparency has led to an uncertain feeling in the field. Personnel moves are announced without the understanding of what has caused the movement. This leads to the field to speculate on what is happening. With BAT changes coming between now and Vegas, transparency is needed. -Pay is not adequate for the work being done by TMs. As our portfolio grows, one would assume profits would also grow to reward... the people in the field. The company is also hemorrhaging money on different initiatives, POS/materials, and recalls. This only creates additional work that is not compensated for. When it comes to pay, the company is in a negative feedback loop that it can't get itself out of. -I have dealt with numerous TM vacancies, both on my team, along with my team assisting other divisions to cover. It seems as if we have stopped hiring additional personnel, which turns vacancy coverage into the new norm putting additional pressure and workload on TMs. I've had candid conversations with some of my top performing TMs and they are burnt out. This worries me on how long they will stick around as I can only say "use informed decisions" so many times... -Territory Managers can be treated as juveniles. In some ways they are put on a pedestal (rightfully so) as they are the front lines of our company, yet the environment they work in consists of constant coaching with little to no positivity. Lack of metrics and true 'goals' give TMs a feeling of being lost no knowing if what they are doing is right. In some divisions within the region, TMs are given curfews or restricted on where they can go for nightly entertainment during meetings. TMs are adults with college degrees, and in some cases twice the age as their managers. They need to be treated like it.

Advice to Management

Adjust with the times. The company was great 15+ years ago when it aligned with the generations that made up trade marketing. Those same practices will not work with today’s generation. Ask what the field wants/needs and make adjustments sooner than later. Let HR handle Glassdoor. Fake/inflated comments will not bring in talent, and will only paint a bad picture to the current employees of the company. These... posts show the field that management is not listening to their concerns and is publicly masking the obvious issues. Use the time invested in 'cleaning up' Glassdoor to make actual changes to retain and gain talent in the field.

Reynolds American2018-09-19

"Isn’t What it Used to Be."

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Far and away, the people who work at the company are best in class. Reynolds has passionate, caring people and they are in great danger of losing them if they continue down the path they are headed. Flexible work schedule, vacation time (3 weeks to start, 5 weeks after 5 years, 2 floating holidays, etc.), matching 401 k, and tuition reimbursement which is definitely the best I’ve seen in the CPG industry.

Cons

Where to start? I’ve read so many of these reviews, and having held multiple roles over many years, I have a lot to of thoughts and a very unique perspective to give. I’d like to say that a resounding theme is TM’s being overworked. Many might say that this could be misconstrued as them whining which I wholeheartedly disagree with. TM’s are not opposed to hard work; what they are opposed to is being exploited and... not being fairly compensated for a vastly increasing workload (ie being responsible for four + times the amount of brands) with increasing tracking mechanisms and reporting that make them feel micro-managed and suffocated. They used to be praised for being Category Advisors and are now highly executional, weighed down by too many tasks, overwhelming directions that don’t drive the business, and overbearing Managers that think contests will motivate them when all it does is add additional pressure they don’t need. To top it off, they have folks from Home Office come into town who refer to them as “knuckle draggers” in casual conversation which totally destroys any shred of morale they may have had left and confirms any suspicion they had of what the people in Corporate actually think of them (and yes, that really did happen). Compensation for TM’s and AM’s needs to be re-examined. The workload is not appropriate for the pay, and the demands are too stressful for the job description. Please look at what Managers are saying and doing in the field—CE competitions, insane tracking of TM’s, bullying, etc. As a fellow Manager, I have become alarmed at what I have seen my peers do and what TM’s have reported to me. My cries to HR have fallen on deaf ears and it seems that this is now the culture of the organization. What once was a great, motivating place to be is now a toxic, stressful, “Big Brother” type of place. And in case you all were wondering, HR is there to protect Reynolds, not you. The need to move in order to be promoted is antiquated and stops many hard-working, deserving people from advancing in the company. It makes me disappointed that this practice is still in play in 2018, when so many CPG companies dropped it in the 80’s and 90’s. Reynolds still has a military mentality where you have to drop everything within a week and relocate your family in order to move up. Sacrifice all, and be rewarded. Turn down an opportunity, and be black balled. I have seen many peers and friends end up in absolutely horrible locations and suffer from depression and be extremely unhappy as a result. Many, many people I know have left the company as a result and are much happier in the long run. Lastly, as many have stated, this is not a place for women. I have been told multiple times throughout my tenure that I have only earned my place because the talent pool needed more women in Management and that’s why I was there. This, despite having earned an “above the line” rating every year since being employed at Reynolds. Nearly every Manager told me this since my employ—-Maybe not directly, but it was heavily implied that it would certainly “help my trajectory”.

Advice to Management

This company used to be great. It used to be a place that I was proud to say I worked at. I would wake up every day and be excite to go to work. I want that feeling back. Do the right thing. Treat people better. Pay them what they deserve. Stop the constant tracking. Trust your employees—-you hired all of us for a reason. If you don’t start to improve things, your vacancies will go from 135 to 235. Get it together.

Reynolds American2018-08-20

"Awesome place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Division Manager in New York, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

Great people, constant training to help you perform, competitive benefits

Cons

Many say that constant change is a bad thing but most of the employees I know love it.

Reynolds American2018-07-02

Current Employee - Senior Division Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Strong brand portfolio and training programs are world class. 401k along with other field "perks" along with excellent medical. Home office has done a great job with modernizing the facility.

Cons

New company direction is sour, too many tasks for the field and people are drowning.. turnover has become the norm. If we are to treat our TM's as true salespeople they need a pay structure which reflects that.

Advice to Management

Culture.

Reynolds American2017-11-09

Current Employee - Senior Division Manager in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I've grown with Reynolds for over 14 years, really enjoyed meeting close friends along the way... also I have benefited from a high performing stock and great return on my 401k. This company has moved me all over the United States and I have been able to see some great sights along with experience 1st class meetings. Health benefits and 401 match are top notch.

Cons

The culture has shifted as of late, and has progressively gotten worse for field personnel especially. The word is out on the new "direction" I will be retiring at the end of this year versus staying another 3 years like I planned, Yes, it's that bad. The talent coming on board has become lackluster, with the field employees being taken advantage of and treated like they are dumb by home office. The culture has... become more of a "worker bee" structure, with the TM's becoming the scapegoat but yet telling them "management is here to help". The brand releases have become a toxic element for retailers as well. I have seen 3 TM's have health issues due to the work conditions now.

Reynolds American2017-11-02
  8. "Great Company - Great People"

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Vision for the future of the tobacco industry - Top rated training and learning opportunities - Great benefits - focused on making RAI one of the best companies to work for - Opportunities to grow with the company

Cons

- Working for RAI typically requires mobility - If you want to move up within the company and live in a specific city outside of Winston Salem, you will not be able to.

Advice to Management

Keep improving the benefits to the people at the company and keep investing in the skills of the people. Focus on the talents of individuals vs. the mobility of individuals. In order to keep the best talent, there will have to be compromise in this area.

Reynolds American2016-09-30
  9. "RAI = Great Company + Great Benefits"

Senior Division Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American for more than 5 years

Pros

-Great benefits including: 100% 401k match up 6%, Medical, Dental, Vision, Access to free financial advisors, Tuition reimbursement, Company car (brand new GMC Terrain), cell phone stipend, home internet stipend, wellness programs to keep in shape, up to 4 weeks vacation, and that's just to name a few! -Flexible schedule -Work-hard, play hard atmosphere -Great people within the organization -Very innovative... product pipeline -Invests heavily in people's development -Current management team is making positive changes

Cons

-Your happiness can depend on your immediate manager (as with all organizations) -The company focus can change quickly from one category/product to another. -At times it can feel like there is a push-pull relationship between home office and the field. -The company is progressive with its products, but slow to implement new programs or technology, unless the competition forces us to react. Very reactive.

Advice to Management

-Consider implementing new ideas for programs / technology platforms rather than waiting for the competition to force our hand. Be more proactive as one of the titans in the CPG industry. -Consider diversifying outside of tobacco -Continue to explore ways to allow employees to customize their career path

Reynolds American2016-09-29

"Challenging yet rewarding"

Senior Division Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Reynolds American for more than 5 years

Pros

- Opportunity for advancement - Pay - Company commitment towards training and development - Challenging goals

Cons

- Not any that I can think of

Reynolds American2016-09-23