Realex Payments Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Sep 20, 2017

Found 6 of over 56 reviews

3.8
Realex Payments Managing Director Gary Conroy
Gary Conroy
Pros
  • "Good opportunity for career progression especially since the recent take-over(in 9 reviews)

• "The culture is a "good-craic" (great Sports and Social team), supportive environment where people are more than willing to help and advise(in 8 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Minimal benefits packages until recently, and not really willing (or able) to challenge the other FinTech players in London or Dublin(in 4 reviews)

• "Work-life balance can suffer but recent recruitment activity should add team resources(in 3 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great place, great people and lots of opportunities

Feb 24, 2016 -  in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

In the last year things have really changed and evolved in the right direction. It's a fun place to work with lots of great talented people. My day to day is very interesting and I feel I have an impact on the bigger picture. I like to challenge people and processes and it is definitely something that can be done here especially since we've been acquired!! Work life balance is good

Cons

Unfortunately we seem to drag some old baggage that are difficult to leave behind and sometimes it is really frustrating but things are moving and changing all the time so let's see what all of this will look like in a year.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

good place for a short time

Sep 20, 2017 - Senior Software Developer in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some good people, nice work environment, good office and a decent work life balance

Cons

Can feel like a frat house at times. Ok pay but a bit behind the market rates. Colm Lyon will be missed.

5 people found this review helpful
    3. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

I like Realex a lot, but there are frustrations

Sep 7, 2016 -  in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

Realex has a fantastic culture and even better people. Everyone I've dealt with in Realex has been very approachable and is generally very knowledgeable. The open floor plan in both London and Dublin contributes to this, and the fact that there are no individual offices means that you can literally walk up to anyone to ask a question. Both offices are in fantastic locations; really easy to get to, really good facilities, really nice lunch spots nearby. The office is very fun, there's often little perks like pizza and beer, ice cream machines, massages, etc. There's also a pool table and an Xbox which is great. Sports&Social is very active, and every few weeks there's something to do. Christmas parties, summer BBQs etc. are all great. There's usually free drinks and food but it seems like Realex have been getting less and less generous since the acquisition by Global Payments. Realex is great for career progression. Almost all departments actively recruit from the Integration & Support team. Realex will provide training (both internal and external) if it's relevant for your role. OD have recently rolled out career progression maps for each department and tell every employee and manager to meet to discuss their career path. This is all really encouraging.

Cons

Our machines are crap. We all use desktop computers which are really old and slow. Our phone's (the speaker phones in the meeting rooms in particular) are awful and make communicating between the Dublin and London office extremely difficult. Inter-departmental communication can be very poor; often different departments seem to work in silos. Some people in the office have access to skype but not everyone. Some people have laptops, but not everyone. Our SDLC is not agile which leads to a lot of frustrations. We often release a limited scope of what was originally planned and then move onto the next project without addressing missing features or bugs/ improvements. There is no room for small changes and often our roadmap is clogged with customer demands and big "strategic" projects. Often things are released late, the scope is drastically decreased, or things just get dropped. The worst thing about this though is that there seems to be no effort to change or improve this, other than adding more development teams. There is not enough meeting rooms, particularly rooms with screens. Laptops would help to address this. Work can be very fast paced and stressful. It always seems to be busy. This can be good I guess because time can fly while you’re at work. But it can take its toll. I'd like to see more of an effort to improve work/life balance. Flexi-hours, overtime, working from home, rewards etc.

3 people found this review helpful

Realex Payments Response

CIO

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. I agree we have a fantastic culture! Our people are passionate about what we do and have a laugh doing it. There’s a genuine interest in helping one another and as you say, our open plan office really supports this. As you flag, career progression is a priority at Realex. There are so many different opportunities and tons of room to learn and grow your career. Promoting from within is very important to us and I’m delighted to hear that you find our efforts encouraging – that’s the aim! I also want to acknowledge your concerns. I hear what you are saying about our SDLC. We have adopted an agile approach and we are still on our journey towards it. We have big plans for our product; and delivering on them all can be challenging. Your suggestions for improvement are welcome and appreciated. I also appreciate your concerns regarding communication. As you are probably aware we have kicked off a number of comms initiatives this year such as new collaboration tools, daily stand-ups (not just for Agile teams!), quarterly departmental forums, regular cross-team summits and training sessions, team offsites, and blogs. These have all been developed to support stronger communication across and within departments. Thanks again for your feedback, I appreciate your time and input. As an organisation, we recognise what still needs to be done and we are striving to improve every day.

4. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Nice place to work but better places out there

Apr 14, 2016 - Anon in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

Cool office in a central location, good sports and social, occasional treats such as free beer/pizza, free Xmas party, mostly very nice management. Good place for a graduate to get their foot in the door. Training and learning is encouraged but I have found it hard to fit in the time as constantly busy, which appears to be across the board- work life balance could be better.

Cons

Not a good place to make money- unless you come in as an experienced professional you will be paid far less than the market rate. Sure, there is a performance related bonus but they rarely award you the full amount you earned. Always recruiting both externally and internally which is good but indicates that a lot of people aren't happy with the place and move on, which I most likely will do by end of year.

5 people found this review helpful
    5. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great Opportunities for Advancement

Jan 19, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Part of a recently acquired payments company having a significant impact in the global fintech sector Excellent learning and development opportunities for employees who want to upskill Fantastic opportunities for promotion and advancement within the Global Payments group Cool office and workspaces promote a healthy company culture and social scene

Cons

Very competitive and performance-driven which some people may find stressful Work-life balance can suffer but recent recruitment activity should add team resources

Be the first to find this review helpful
    6. 3.0
      Former Employee

Good for getting experience but high pressure environment

Jan 22, 2016 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great for learning on the job and gaining experience, nice people once you get to know them. Work hard, play hard.

Cons

Very big workload, teams are driven to meet unrealistic dates, work/life balance difficult to manage. Lots of people under pressure.

2 people found this review helpful