Realex Payments Reviews

Found 53 of over 55 reviews

3.8
Realex Payments Managing Director Gary Conroy
Gary Conroy
Pros
  • "Great social aspect to working at Realex, you'll probably be out on the tear with your colleagues a lot(in 7 reviews)

• "Great opportunities for career development, both within Realex and branching into its parent company Global Payments(in 7 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Were taken over by Global payments whose only concerned was the size of their profit(in 6 reviews)

• "Business changed significantly after acquisition and while this wasn't necessarily a negative, it did impact a lot of former employees(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Good company, great people

Sep 19, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great city centre location with lots of transport routes and solid choice of places to eat. This area of Dublin is only going to get better with the new building work that is going on around the office. Realex is a fantastic place to grow your career if you're willing to apply yourself. You'll be working with some very best people and the latest technology. On occasion you may have to dabble with some older tech so you'll be getting a wide variety of experience. Realex lately are quite flexible in terms of the work environment, having recently renovated the desktops in favour of laptops, there are quite a few people working remotely when it better suits them. There seems to be a lot of opportunity for travel if you're in to that. Free coffee and lots of free fruit. Occasionally there is beer and pizza in the office while someone gets to show off something clever that they've been working on. Great social aspect to working at Realex, you'll probably be out on the tear with your colleagues a lot. Sports and Social have a healthy budget too, for company social events, they organise all sorts from Secret Santa, to charity based events, to cinema trips and the odd drinking session.

Cons

The open plan office can be a bit counter productive sometimes and for the number of people in the Dublin office it can be a bit cramped in certain areas and at certain times. It's fine if you get yourself a pair of noise cancelling headphones. The laptop screens are ultra low resolution, so despite having the mobility, you're tied to your desk. No breaking away for some quiet time. The culture of the company has changed a bit since Global Payments took over (there are pros and cons to this and if you're joining new then you probably wont see the cons since the cons are largely by contrast).

1 person found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Former Employee

Brilliant People, Changing Company

Jun 6, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Phenomenal people - great craic, incredibly open and helpful. Challenge each other to perform at a high level, but in best possible way. Great opportunities for career development, both within Realex and branching into its parent company Global Payments.

Cons

Closer alignment to parent company Global Payments have led to changes in leadership and vision that have yet to have proven their value.

3. 5.0
      Former Employee

Operations Analyst

May 3, 2017 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Experience with ample opportunities to learn.

Cons

None that I can re-call

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Current Employee Review

Oct 13, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been working in Realex Payments for the past 3 years and found the opportunities to move within the company fantastic. The people and culture is really what makes you stay, there is an enthusiastic atmosphere throughout which you won't find in most companies. Realex is also a challenging company which I found as a positive as you're encouraged to learn and progress your skills. The knowledge I've learnt while working here will be invaluable for my career going forward.

Cons

I've found during my time working here that there aren't too many cons, however I have noticed that the wages are better when you are hired into a position externally rather than hired into a role internally. It seems that knowledge of the product and industry can be undervalued and not taken into account when salaries are reviewed.

5. 5.0

Brilliant Place to Work

Oct 6, 2016 -  in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

Realex is a great environment to walk in to every day. The company culture is really strong at all levels. People are chatty, friendly and willing to help. It's an open office so people drop by each others desks to meet or ask questions, which adds to the social atmosphere. Across the company, people work hard and are really brilliant at what they do. I've had lots of opportunity to work with different people and teams, and I feel like I'm learning new things and developing my skills on a weekly basis. I find my work varied and challenging, and I get a lot of encouragement from my manager and my team to run with things myself, which can be rare! The opportunity for progression is huge. I have seen people join the company and in under a year progress to new roles in totally different departments. Hard work and determination are recognised, and the company have a Career Model and endless learning and development opportunities which make me feel very supported. I'm really enjoying working at Realex. The company ticks the same boxes as many of the tech multinationals (great perks, benefits, cutting edge technology, opportunity), but it retains the friendliness and community-feel of a company a fraction of it's own size. It's really impressive!

Cons

The work is really fast-paced and the standards are high. You have to be proactive in your approach to tasks or challenges, and willing to take the constructive feedback (alongside the praise!!) Some people might see this as stressful but I've come to enjoy it. It opens up opportunities and as I mentioned above, I'm learning a lot.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

General overview of my time in Realex Payments

Aug 24, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been working in Realex Payments for just under 2 years and I am really enjoying my time here to date. I get along with everyone in the office and I've been given some great opportunities to further my career and get involved in some interesting projects. I find my days are busy but in a good way. The week flies which I think is great. There is always something to do and I find when I come in in the mornings I forget about the clock. There are also some other great things about Realex Payments which I'll list here: 1. Global Payments We were acquired by Global Payments in March 2015 - a few months after I had joined. I personally felt that the acquisition opened up a lot more opportunity for me to further my career at home and abroad. An example of this was last May when I got the chance to go over to Atlanta, USA to meet with the Marketing team there. I had been working with them remotely since the acquisition. I spent one week in Atlanta with expenses paid for by the company. During this time I gained a lot of insight into how things work within the team there and took back a lot of interesting and useful information to my team back in Dublin. 2. The Office We have two offices - London and Dublin. I work out of the Dublin office. The office is located in the "Silicon Dock" area of the city. We are a short walk from the city centre and have the Luas, Bus and Dart right on our doorstep which makes my commute into work every morning a breeze. You can also get a Taxsaver commuter ticket through the company which helps save money on your journey in and out. If you'd prefer to cycle you can avail of the Bike to work scheme. Theres also a pool table and an xbox one with loads of games which makes lunchtimes pretty fun - usually heated FIFA matches! 3. Activities There is a very active sports and social club within the company. They are constantly organising fun and interesting events both inside and outside of the office. For example in the past we have had an Ice cream machine brought into the office, Freshly made pancakes on pancake tuesday, Full catered Christmas dinner , Secret santa, Sports outings (golf, football, basketball), Cinema nights, Trips abroad, Massages and so much more. It makes work a lot more fun and you find you always have something to look forward to. 4. Training and Education The Organisational Development team within Realex are outstanding. If you would like to work towards joining a team within the company they will work closely with your manager and plot out a career path for you ensuring you recieve the training required to get you to where you need to be. I am due to start a Diploma course in late September paid for by the company. If you see a book online that will benefit you in your role you can order it through the company, paid for by Realex and it will be delivered to your desk in a few days. Speaking from experience If you have any problems you can also speak to a member of the OD team and they will do all they can to sort it out for you. Overall Realex is a great company to work for. I've only been here 2 years and already enjoyed a huge level of successes. They look after their employees and value what you have to say. The people are great and the work ethic is amazing. Hope this is helpful to anyone considering applying.

Cons

- Can be hard to book a meeting room with a screen. There are a total of 7 meeting rooms, 5 have screens. This isn't a bad ratio but in relation to the competition for rooms with screens it could be improved.

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 5.0

Full of opportunity

Jul 25, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The opportunity for career progression is amazing if you're willing to work hard. Dedication and hard work is rewarded and recognised with a really good performance based bonus structure and I've always felt support from peers and management to speak up and have a voice. The role I've progressed to now has allowed me to do exactly that, and I feel that I really have an impact day to day in a seriously fast paced environment. One thing I will say is you need to be prepared to have the drive to reach for opportunities. No one is going to hand anything to you on a plate. The culture and people are simply amazing. If I were to move on that would be something I would really miss. Everyone is open and willing to lend a hand and the open floor plan supports a relaxed and collaborative atmosphere.

Cons

Communication, while having improved a lot within the past year still needs work. In particular cross departmental communication and staff engagement. This is something however I know they are trying to address as well as staff engagement The work can be very demanding and at times a little stressful. There is a work hard play hard attitude however which is great and if you're prepared to work hard the reward and recognition is good.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee

A fantastic place to work. Hard work is recognized.

Jul 21, 2016 - Former Operations Analyst in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

- One of the best atmospheres you could ask for in any company. There's a a proper feeling of community here. Everyone is chatty and hard working. There are no offices in the company. Senior management have a desk in the open just like everyone else. This makes them far more approachable. No-one is ever too busy to answer a question. - Interesting and challenging work with some incredibly intelligent people. - Amazing office and location. - Continuing opportunity for advancement. There's is the ability to create your own role and given creative freedom if you feel that you can contribute in a way that no-one is currently. Hard work is recognized and stands to you when applying for roles internally. Good opportunity for career progression especially since the recent take-over. Progress and expansion in the company is very visible and gives a good boost to morale.

Cons

- There are stressful days which are unnecessarily caused by a lack of internal communication. - I&S feels isolated from the rest of the company sometimes, however this has improved vastly since even when I started.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Working at Realex

May 27, 2016 - Operations Analyst in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

I am enjoying my time here at Realex. There is a great community, very welcoming and the people are very hard working and easy to work with. Plenty of opportunities to move roles internally and to learn about all of the different departments in the company. It is a very fast paced environment, there is always something to be done and it's never boring. Manager is always looking after the teams interests. Good employee benefits (pension, bonus, sports and social club).

Cons

Can be stressful at times due to high volumes of work. Internal tools need improvement. I&S are not necessarily treated as a part of the rest of the company during activities & events.

10. 5.0

Fantastic Workplace

May 24, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

Hard-working staff, open plan office. bonus, pension, saving scheme, health benefits, sports and social club. At Realex, your voice is heard. You are given the free reign to go and pursue your ideas. As with every company, there are some obstacles but in general, people are willing to help.There is a good team atmosphere and an innate desire for the companies success. I have worked at Realex since 2012 and can confirm that even with the Global Payments now at the helm, the culture has not changed.

Cons

No working from home, it's a niche sector which makes competition difficult. Realex tend to attempt to develop too many things at once which causes a bottleneck effect for other changes.

Realex Payments Response

Head of Organisation Development

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. I agree; we have a culture of working hard and tackling big challenges. This is why we work hard to provide our people with great benefits, as you have flagged. We’re proud of the open and helpful culture we have at Realex. This stems in large part from the day-to day (often unplanned!) collaboration across our open-plan offices, which is why Work From Home isn’t widely taken up by employees at present. However, we provide flexibility to employees depending on the circumstances so please have a chat to me or your manager to see if we can help. I hear you also on the pace to drive through change. We have huge ambitions for our product, which means lots to develop. But this also brings great opportunity for our people to build their careers, to learn, to run with critical projects and make a real difference. That’s the deal at Realex. Thanks again for your feedback, I appreciate your time and input.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 53 Reviews

Realex Payments Reviews FAQs

Realex Payments has an overall rating of 3.8 out of 5, based on over 55 reviews left anonymously by employees. 70% of employees would recommend working at Realex Payments to a friend and 73% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -2% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Realex Payments employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.2 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Realex Payments. This rating has decreased by -2% over the last 12 months.

70% of Realex Payments employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Realex Payments 3.5 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.8 for culture and values and 3.9 for career opportunities.

Popular Careers with Realex Payments Job Seekers