Rakuten Kobo Reviews

Updated 13 Jul 2020

3.9
Rakuten Kobo President and CEO Michael Tamblyn
Michael Tamblyn
Pros
  • "There are a lot of smart people and you never feel like it's all on you to make anything successful(in 11 reviews)

• "Options to work from home/attend appointments(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "A little more structured since the pre-Rakuten days, and most of the original exec team have moved on(in 9 reviews)

• "I you hav a family they AE not family focused by rather you work long hours and socialized within kobo area(in 8 reviews)

1. "Decent place to work"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Dunboyne

I have been working at Rakuten Kobo full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

1. Good working atmosphere 2. Easy enough for people starting in hospitality 2. Beautiful site

Cons

Salary is not great and sometimes the stress is too much

December 3, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write your review! We are happy to hear that you found the work atmosphere to be good and that the site is beautiful. We strive to make Rakuten Kobo a great place to work.

2. "Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Rakuten Kobo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Dublin office: Nice office, good learning, good fellows

Cons

Bad management (Toronto management), no clear idea of what direction to take with the product and not giving external offices the ability to be independent.

"Good place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Rakuten Kobo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very relaxed & flexible environment, good people, competitive pay & bonuses. People are generally free to work from home when they want, or take time off for appointments etc. As long as your work gets done, there's a lot of freedom to work when/how it suits you.

Cons

Very slow moving to take anything to market. There is little consideration for employees outside of Canada - time zones, meetings, communications & product considerations etc. Execs insist on focusing on new initiatives/features, which totally goes against user feedback. Users complained about several areas, and these were rarely the focus of product efforts.

Continue reading

"Chaotic and frenetic activity with too little progress."

2.0
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Rakuten Kobo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay was ok, Nice office (but see below). Great location. For me it was easy to get to, good public transport and cycling when weather permitted.

Cons

Chaotic (desktop and device dev), Android dev appeared a little more organized. Even though office was nice it's a little too noisy and disorganized.

Continue reading
  5. "Great company with inspiring values"

Current Employee - Customer Care in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Rakuten Kobo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free eReader and weekly eBooks Great leadership with inspiring values Management level and above clearly value their employees

Cons

I’m still a relatively new employee but from what I’ve heard it can be very difficult to get promotions or raises when deserved

Continue reading
  6. "Good company to grow up"

Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Rakuten Kobo full-time

Pros

there are many good people and work life balance is great

Cons

Smart people doesn't stay very long time

7. "Great place to work for the most part"

Former Employee - Copywriter in Hamilton, ON

I worked at Rakuten Kobo full-time

Pros

Benefits, social events, great perks, free books every week, great team environment.

Cons

Politics, having problems with higher-ups dealt with is near impossible.

June 3, 2020HR Specialist

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We’re happy to hear that you recommend Rakuten Kobo as a great place to work and had a positive experience. We are proud of our culture and employee perks and believe our people should be recognized and rewarded for their achievements with an attractive total rewards package. We wish you the best of luck with your feature endeavours!

"Still a great company"

I worked at Rakuten Kobo full-time

Pros

Great place to develop and grow your career. Surrounded by people who are top performers and very very solid leadership

Cons

A little more structured since the pre-Rakuten days, and most of the original exec team have moved on. CEO is a great guy and a wealth of knowledge and experience in this space.

May 7, 2020HR Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We’re glad to hear that you had a positive experience working at Rakuten Kobo and recommend us as a great place to work. We are also pleased to hear that you hold our CEO and leadership team in such high regard. We wish you the best in your next chapter and hope to cross paths again one day!

"Excellent Working Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Rakuten Kobo full-time for more than a year

Pros

No politics at workplace, at all. This is the most attractive thing about the company Working from home policy One off-work day added to each long wekend in the summertime Very friendly environment and person-to-person relationships. Openess to temporary, student, junior positions

Cons

Salary could be better, but this is true for each and evry other company

March 19, 2020HR Specialist

Thank you for your glowing review! We put a lot of our time and effort into ensuring that the wellbeing of our employees is priority, always promoting a positive working environment. We are proud that you’ve been enjoying some of our employee perks over the past couple of years that you’ve worked at Rakuten Kobo. You’ve highlighted some of our favourite ones, such as our remote working policy and 4-day summer holiday weekends. Thanks again for the positive review – Go Kobo!

"Typical issues common in any small-mid sized company"

2.0
    Current Employee - Management Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Rakuten Kobo full-time

Pros

- social events - free eBook program

Cons

- big egos in C level, specifically R&D - high turnover due to poor resource planning - unhealthy level of politics unless you're in a junior position

January 15, 2020HR Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share a review, we appreciate your feedback. We’re glad that you are enjoying our culture and employee perks through weekly social gatherings and free eBook & Audiobook downloads. But let’s take this opportunity to talk about some of your areas of concern around our leadership, turnover and company work culture. We invest a lot of our resources and time into training our leaders through our leadership, coaching and mentorship programs, helping to enhance their capabilities to lead teams. We are committed to providing continued coaching, guidance and strategic planning with all of our teams this year in order to strengthen our organization. If you would like to continue the conversation, we encourage you to connect with someone on our HR team who would be happy to discuss further. Thank you!

Found 132 reviews