Rackspace Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Updated 23 Jan 2020

3.4
Rackspace CEO Kevin Jones
Kevin Jones
Pros
  • "One of the core values here is to treat Rackers (coworkers) like Friends and Family and it shows in our office(in 137 reviews)

• "Great culture easy going but work hard play hard(in 128 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some challenges with silos, but most Rackers genuinely want to help each other(in 122 reviews)

• "Too many middle management tiers(in 69 reviews)

1. "Best place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana

I worked at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have worked with Rackspace for more than 1.5years. Every single day I enjoyed working in the company. The management has a vision and they know what they are doing. Excellent support from management and the support team. Great opportunities available for performers.

Cons

Nothing as such to mention

Advice to Management

The company is doing great, excellent leadership.

Rackspace2020-01-23
  2. "One of the best organisation I worked with."

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Gurgaon, Haryana

I worked at Rackspace full-time for less than a year

Pros

1. Ample opportunities to learn new technologies along with management skills. 2. Great work life balance as they provide work from home option as well if you genuinely need it. 3. Very friendly environment. Every one is willing to help each other. 4. This is the only company where you can reach out to HR department easily. If you will ask for help they will immediately respond to your queries. 5. Very friendly and approachable management. 6. One of the best knowledge base they have to make your daily operations smooth.

Cons

Was not able to find a single one during my tenure.

Rackspace2020-01-20
  3. "Rackers are good people"

Current Employee - Windows Systems Administrator in London, England

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people working at Rackspace make it a good place to work

Cons

Career progression can be slow

Rackspace2020-01-18
  4. "Great place to work but could use better benefits"

Current Employee - Software Engineer() in Blacksburg, VA

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Super flexible scheduling. Loads of time off. Managers that care. Snacks and drinks provided daily.

Cons

Raises haven't been great the last few years. Benefits aren't competitive. However, I think these things will get better in time.

Advice to Management

Better 401K and HSA contributions.

Rackspace2020-01-17
  5. "a solid job"

Current Employee - Software Developer II in Blacksburg, VA

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Rackspace is super chill about queerness. A lot of people have anxiety about how they will fit in with their coworkers. They may have a very real fear that they could be openly discriminated against for their sexual orientation or gender identity, since queer people are vulnerable in that way in Virginia. Not only are sexual orientation and gender identity specifically included as protected characteristics in the employee handbook, but also I have never detected even a hint of prejudice from my coworkers on the topic. It really sucks that something so foundational is remarkable, but for a queer person considering Rackspace in Blacksburg, it's important for you to know that you'll be safe here. The work/life balance is very healthy to the extent that I can take vacation time on a whim, with morning-of notice being fine. This also makes self care easier, because if I can easy take a day just because I want to, it removes the need to justify if I feel unwell enough to need rest. we also get tons of vacation time. I've been with the company long enough that I get the maximum amount: 35 days paid time off plus the 6 or so set holidays. The work itself is engaging. We're giving a lot of autonomy for creative problem solving. The office is responsible for a wide range of technology as well, so if you find that you are unsatisfied with one thing, you could try out another. The best part about working for Rackspace is absolutely the people. Everyone is friendly, taking a genuine interest in your well-being. It may be some of the flavor of Blacksburg as well, but it's a core part of Rackspace culture.

Cons

While the Blacksburg office is super neat, Rackspace corporate can work against us sometimes. The Blacksburg office isn't part of Rackspace's core business, so we get forgotten at times. Though in cases of increasing corporate wankery, being forgotten is sometimes a blessing. Rackspace has a history of falling behind and catching up on salary. We've gone though a multi-year belt-tightening since we went private. Hopefully that abates soon, but we'll see. I still make more money than I need for the area, but I also know that I'm not maximizing my income by staying with the company. Similarly, career advancement is not reliable. In the past, it seemed like the number one factor for getting a promotion is to have a manager who fights for it the hardest, regardless of merit. In recent years there really just hasn't been the budget. People have even been leaving for other places and the positions haven't been allowed to be back-filled. Although if you're reading this considering a job opening, perhaps that trend is over.

Advice to Management

This section is kind of funny for me, because I get that for most companies this would be a place to actually give advice, but in the Blacksburg office, we're so integrated that management already knows everything that could be an improvement. It's just that the corporation above us doesn't allow for some of the things that are most inhibiting us at the moment.

Rackspace2020-01-13
  6. "Amazing Benefits, Amazing People"

Current Employee - Software Developer III in Blacksburg, VA

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I work in the Blacksburg office and it is a shining star among the dev community. One of the core values here is to treat Rackers (coworkers) like Friends and Family and it shows in our office. Everyone here knows each other by name we have monthly get togethers and many holiday events etc. Some of us play games after work together etc. everyone just has fun exploring their job and their interests together. Outside of the culture though Rackspace is an awesome place to work. I get 260 hours of PTO per year (I believe only 180 at start but even that is awesome) meaning I can take vacation and get the relaxation and recharge I need. Our office has super flexible hours some people come in as early as 5am and some as late a 11am. For Blacksburg our pay is very high as well several coworkers have stay-at-home spouses and live comfortably with multiple kids on a single salary from Rackspace. Health benefits are great as well Rackspace covers the vast majority of our health costs I believe my monthly cost is only $10-20. Rackspace might just be the best place to work for work/life balance. No one asks questions about last-minute vacation or any other reason you need to be out. Our office in particular cares about your health above all else and you do what you need to do with no real worry of any work issues. My work stays at the office.

Cons

Volatile senior leadership. It rarely affects the Blacksburg office directly since we aren't the main corporate office but since going private we have had several CEOs over the past few years with entire new leadership teams. Our office is fairly insulated as we have our own internal leadership though so as long as you go to Blacksburg I think there aren't any major cons.

Rackspace2020-01-07
  7. "ELT is Single focused on IPO, get onboard or put on the life vest."

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Antonio, FL
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Rackspace full-time

Pros

Benefits, Flexibility, Pay is decent

Cons

The current ELT is solely focused on IPO. Which is a fine goal, unless you are a prospective employee or current employee without stock options. It is very clear how/why IPO is worth it for them, but to us, without options, we are being pushed to work insane hours for no end goal. If you decide to come here be sure to negotiate enough to make yourself content with this state of things.

Advice to Management

Your Senior staff is entirely void of diversity. Kevin's directs give up any semblance of personal life when they took their roles. Subroto praises those employees who send emails in the middle of the night, as he has stated on multiple Open Books that his hobbies are work and reading about work. There are many areas of the business that are waiting on decisions from ELT. Please provide clear guidelines to the secondary leaders, that items that will not yield benefit in the next 12 months will not be funded. Going IPO will provide an influx of Capital, and then ELT may approve longer-term initiatives.

Rackspace2020-01-21
  8. "Great place to work for devs and engineers"

Current Employee - Software Developer I in Blacksburg, VA

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture at Rackspace was something I immediately noticed when I first stepped into the office. It's unlike any other place in this area. Everyone there is a part of an enthusiastic, "fanatical" team. The office is full of banners for schools, home countries, lgtbq+ pride, donuts, memes, you name it. Desks are open pods so it's easy to work with teammates and across teams. Work hours are very flexible and we get a large amount of time off. The office is dog friendly, and some bring their dogs in every day and many bring them in at least once a month. This is an office filled almost entirely of devs and engineers which makes the atmosphere fun and highly technical. There is tons of room for growth and professional & personal development. Rackspace even gives time off to support this growth. Some other perks of the job are free snacks/soda, a monthly company lunch, weekly events like yoga/frisbee/basketball, and a very casual dress code. Feel free to work in flip flops and a t-shirt if you want.

Cons

For a long time, this office felt ignored by the main San Antonio office. With a new CEO things are finally looking up, though.

Advice to Management

Keep fighting for opening more positions. Recruit from the nearby fresh talent from schools like VT/RU/JMU!

Rackspace2020-01-07
  9. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Operations in Hayes, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great culture and environment, amazing ethnic diversity

Cons

Promotions and pay rises were extremely slow.

Advice to Management

Not sure what it is like now, but recognising team members, that are in the background who do alot of ground work.

Rackspace2019-12-31
  10. "Software Engineer Remote"

Former Employee - Software Engineer Remote in Manchester, NH

I worked at Rackspace full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good job. Lots of freedoom

Cons

Enjoyed job. Lots of freedodom.

Advice to Management

leave engineer alone in role. too important a resource. to collaborate.

Rackspace2019-12-30