Penguin Recruitment Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

3.1
Penguin Recruitment Director Jim Richardson
Jim Richardson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A good company for recruitment"

I worked at Penguin Recruitment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good incentives, fun office/social,

Cons

Its recruitment: cut throat, long hours, cold calling

30 May 2018 – Owner

Many thanks for your review and I am delighted you consider us a “A good company for recruitment!”
    From your brief comments - I don’t believe you left this calendar year but if you had been here I... More

"A great company to work for. I'm into my third year and still enjoying it..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Swansea, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Swansea, Wales (UK)

I have been working at Penguin Recruitment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-The company offer internal and external training to develop us
    -I feel the commission scheme is strong. I like that it increases with time in employment and performance
    -Pay rises based on performance and merit
    -The staff. We have a great team and lots of fun
    -Promotions on performance/merit
    -Excellent incentives. I have won a Michelin star meal, spa retreat, an Ipad, champagne, GoPro and more
    -The company offer early finishes based on team/company targets being achieved
    -2 hour sporting lunches that encourages fitness and well-being
    -Regular company team building activities (White water rafting, paint balling, bowling, kayaking etc.)
    -Seaside location. You can get an ice cream for lunch!

Cons

-Recruitment can be long hours, but that's the nature of recruitment
    -Lack of parking on site
    -The roller-coaster of sales can be tough but you learn to develop thick skin quickly

Advice to Management

Overall a great place to work in my opinion. I'm in my third year and am still enjoying it. The incentives are great and keep me interested to push each month.

"An experience..."

I worked at Penguin Recruitment full-time

Pros

The staff- resilient despite the madness and always offering support to each other, had some great times with them in the office and outside.
    The 'pod skippers' - calling these people managers would lead you to thinking they actually manage, but this is done from the top. However, the managers I had the pleasure of working with were superb characters and a big help day-to-day.
    Some incentives worth praising, notably at Christmas and the 'raffles' - it's just a shame that they don't go far enough though.
    Good launch pad for a recruitment career elsewhere - you learn the hard way.
    The ping pong table.

Cons

Micromanagement from the top - the managers have little influence, you know everything comes from above them and the frequent 'business updates' leave you little time to recruit.
    Being called Penguins repeatedly.
    Lack of career progression.

Advice to Management

Allow your managers to actually manage and the teams might grow.

20 Jul 2017 – Owner

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We would of course prefer all our employees to build a long career at Penguin, but I fully accept the reality of the competitive, commercial world we... More

"Ok"

I worked at Penguin Recruitment full-time

Pros

Good people (members of staff) and a good working environment.
    Some of the incentives are good, others are not so.
    The managers within the business are fair

Cons

The commission structure is not all as it seems and is evidently not that great.
    Sometimes you are treated like children with the lack of autonomy

"A decent place to learn the 360 recruitment ropes"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at Penguin Recruitment full-time

Pros

Due to the 360 nature of the job Penguin is actually a great place to cut your recruitment teeth - you have to do everything bar chasing payments - so you learn quickly how to do advertising campaigns, searches, the interview process, offer management, Canvassing for business etc... It sets you up well for your next job in recruitment.
    There are decent team incentives - days out, sporting events, Lavish Meals, go-karting etc.
    A good place to make friends.

Cons

There was a culture of checking / micromanagement which came from the very top. Regular 'business updates', internal emails being monitored etc
    Being a smallish firm it's a very flat structure and with a settled management team in place it is hard to progress beyond being a good billing consultant.
    I was often distracted by petty battles amongst management as to which radio station was playing, whether doors windows were open or closed, whether food stuffs were in the office bin rather than the kitchen bin etc

Advice to Management

Treat people like adults. Referring to consultants as 'Penguins' and running interview countdowns based on e.g. 'your favourite Disney character' just gave the impression sometimes that we were working in a school rather than a professional sales office.

20 Jul 2017 – Owner

Thank you for the review. My colleagues and I appreciate the positive comments around the manner in which we both train and develop our new consultants to enhance their recruitment skills and... More

"an honest review."

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant

I worked at Penguin Recruitment full-time

Pros

The staff on the work floor make this place - always tried to remain positive and upbeat day-to-day.

Cons

Micromanaged! Constant 'business updates' and emails meant your focus was taken away from doing your job effectively. You would then be put under more pressure for not hitting target.

Managers have little influence - no breathing space to run your teams properly and get the best out of each member of staff due to constant and often unnecessary pressure from the top.

The Monday afternoon 'business update' when you would have to shout out your figures from the week before against target - The lower/newer members of staff would be left red faced and ashamed if their figures were not on par with members of staff for instance who had been there a lot longer (nothing was said or done to encourage after this ordeal). Managers were also expected to shout out figures and were treated on the same level as someone who had been there for a week.

Constantly being referred to as 'Penguins'.

Advice to Management

Give your team room to breath and they will flourish. Keep on the same track and you will only lose more long-serving members of staff.

20 Jul 2017 – Owner

I'm beginning to wonder if we might be being targeted here with a campaign to discredit us – a sudden flow of similar reviews. It’s a competitive market and some will do whatever it takes to try to... More

"Not the best"

I worked at Penguin Recruitment full-time

Pros

The people who work at Penguin are good fun

Some managers were good. Although most were not managers

Some incentives were good

Cons

Often treated like a child

Micromanaged from the top down

No career progression. Financially only benefits the two directors. Even those next on the ladder seem to be a million miles away. What is there to aim for?

Advice to Management

Listen to what motivates people

Stop micromanaging and let the managers manage

Give your staff something to aim for

24 Jul 2017 – Owner

Thank you for the review. Again I find myself wondering why we have suddenly been subjected to an influx of negative reviews, having received almost none in the previous 13 years of our existence... More

"Good in parts, bad in others"

Pros

Good summer and winter incentives

Cons

Going to play on a trampoline or bowling doesnt provide motivation for an adult billing in access of £100k. Can be treated quite childlike at times. No reason to want to become a team leader / manager.

Advice to Management

Listen to what motivates staff

28 Jun 2017 – Owner

What can I say – You can’t please all of the people all of the time. Incentives and team building activities are part of our DNA. In the last 2 months we have been surfing, paddleboarding and Go Ape... More

9. "Going from strength to strength...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Penguin Recruitment full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great earning potential with generous rewards. They say a workplace is nothing without good people and this place certainly has some of the best people I've had the pleasure of working with.
    Also the directors have made a big push forward to grow individual's career prospects as well as business through continual money and time investment!

Cons

Long working hours, however this is made better by the early finishes, end of month incentives and late starts we are regularly rewarded with.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work...

"Excellent Incentives and a fun office environment!"

Current Employee - Lead Consultant in Swansea, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Lead Consultant in Swansea, Wales (UK)

I have been working at Penguin Recruitment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Penguin offer exciting team building activities, substantial bonus scheme and great incentives! Most recently team building activities have included trampolining, white water rafting and climbing. Penguin also offer monthly incentives which really pushes you to hit targets! This weekend I am going to watch an Autumn International Rugby Game in the Millennium Stadium courtesy of Penguin Recruitment and I have previous had 2 Jeroboams of Champagne and a new TV!! The team are also really friendly and supportive!

Cons

Sales targets do not appeal to everyone but I love a challenge!!

Advice to Management

Please keep up the incentives they are fun and push me to exceed targets.