Pearson Senior Project Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

John Fallon
  1. "Excellent company"

Former Contractor - Senior Project Manager in London, England

I worked at Pearson for more than a year

Pros

Market leader in the publishing sector

Cons

Can't think of any negatives

Pearson2019-10-10
  2. "Great people."

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in London, England

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great colleagues and work environment.

Cons

Too much reliance on processes and not on results and getting things done. Can be very frustrating.

Pearson2019-08-06

"Culture of fear, bullying, racism and retribution"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Project Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Not just another e-commerce site. Some parts of the company seem to be doing what the company mission statement and values claim.

Cons

Witnessed and personally experienced intimidation, racism, misogyny, bullying and fear-mongering on a very regular basis during my 5+ year tenure here. Attempted reporting incidents to Human Resources multiple times and immediately received retribution from my manager and co-workers each time. Became depressed, fearful, and physically ill. Had to leave the other victims/co-workers behind. Would have probably been a... better culture had I worked at Theranos.

Advice to Management

You have a lot of weeds in what could be a beautiful garden.

Pearson2019-07-31

"horrible"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager

I have been working at Pearson full-time

Pros

run run run run run

Cons

pretty much everything esp. managers

Pearson2019-06-11
  5. "Awesome People, Awesome Culture"

Former Employee - Senior Release Project Manager in Boston, MA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Structured work environment. Everyone is very helpful and friendly. The overall work environment was very welcoming and is why I stayed there for over 7 years. I miss it very much.

Cons

Due to its large size, it's not easy to carve out your own role and branch out and learn other skill sets. Ironically the learning and career path wasn't as fluid as I would have preferred. It took 3 years for my team to allow me to shadow another co-worker who needed assistance and learn her skill. The massive layoffs were definitely a painful experience as I was caught in that but it can't be helped.

Advice to Management

Essentially keep doing what your doing. Stay positive, be encouraging. But potentially instill a career path for employees who wish to pursue other avenues within the company. And maybe resolve the layoffs if it hasn't been done so already.

Pearson2019-02-27

"Not the worst, but overall, it’s a crappy place to be."

Former Contractor - Senior Project Manager in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Pearson for more than a year

Pros

It’s very unique, from a product perspective. You work on wonderful, complex, amazing systems that are unique and so intricate that they prepare you for anything else. You’re making stuff that actually benefits people, and it’s rather exciting to see this gigantic transformation come to fruition. The people I worked with were amazing, and I loved 85% or more of them. Fantastic group overall. Seriously can’t say... enough wonderful things.

Cons

They’re cheap. I wasn’t there for the before, but a couple of gentlemen who were frequently reference John Fallon’s hiring as a watershed moment for the org. From my perspective, I was hired as a contractor, frequently promised permanent work, promoted to having several people under me, then had those people struck down quickly before we really trained them, then took over their roles. They claimed to want me to... move to a new office they built, but they never did create a permanent offer, set relocation up, or give me a new team. When I left, many people were stunned and reacted in shock, and I was told most of them didn’t realize I was still a contractor with how embedded I was in the business and how much I worked. But I worked an average of 55+ hrs a week every week. I didn’t really take days off for nearly two years in the hope that at some point I was going to be rewarded. It never happened. The thing I really don’t understand is how and why they think this current model is a good idea, when it literally takes six months or more to even understand their existing business and technology.

Advice to Management

Start paying commensurate. Stop thinking we don’t have a life. Don’t rely on contractors for the vast majority of your staff. Quit with the ridiculous arbitrary layoffs! Hire more tech leads (see pay discussion).

Pearson2018-01-29

"Senior Project Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people and a healthy work / life balance. Compensation is ok.

Cons

Lacks strategic direction and follow through. Plays in the now and the newest shiny bobble instead of thorough research and review. Too many yes-men.

Advice to Management

Lacks strategic direction and follow through. Plays in the now and the new shiny bobble instead of thorough research and review.

Pearson2017-05-01

"IT Project Manager"

Former Employee - IT Senior Project Manager in Iowa City, IA

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Opportunity to work with diverse teams under pressure. Some amazing people work here.

Cons

Expected to work long hours with little moral or monetary compensation. Responsibilities and duties are added constantly without support. Everybody either runs around like a chicken with it's head cut off or they do nothing at all. A very political place to work, it's who you know, not how hard you work.

Advice to Management

When adopting new business trends you need to not just implement them but see them through. The minimal effort put into changes results in the company being able to say they have adopted the trend but in fact they are never carried through which hurts the company overall.

Pearson2017-05-08

"Pearson doesn't care about it's people"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Iowa City, IA

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility with working from home.

Cons

No mentoring programs. No training or career development for employees. Lay off immediately when lose contracts and then rehire when win business instead of working to place employees in other positions. Terrible employee satisfaction and morale. Do not use data to make upper level leadership decisions. No consistency among managers as no training is provided to them. Do not reward high performers. Roles are not... clearly defined.

Advice to Management

Implement a mentoring program and career development. Create a job profile library with detailed descriptions of various jobs. Make open job reqs more detailed so that internal employees can more easily apply for other positions.

Pearson2017-05-06
  10. "Good Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Project Manager in Bangalore

I have been working at Pearson full-time

Pros

Good Environment for Fresher Employees

Cons

No Good Salary Hike, No good Canteen, no good Coffee Vending machine

Advice to Management

HR don't waste money on unnecessary activities, instead give good hike to Employees.

Pearson2017-01-12