PageGroup Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

PageGroup CEO Steve Ingham
Steve Ingham

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "The culture perpetuates a terrible work/life balance" (in 87 reviews)

• "Can be long-hours and high-intensity" (in 175 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Would go back any day"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at PageGroup full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved working for Page! I learned so much, tripled my salary in 4 years, worked with some amazing people and got some amazing opportunities. Negative reviews you might read are outdated; 8-6 working is a thing of the past, and flexible working has meant that employees come and go much more freely, and the office is a more relaxed and far less corporate place than the one I joined. Some departments are now completely dress down but even the more corporate ones (finance) are no longer wearing ties to work.

Nowadays the company culture is very different all together. I never worked on the weekend or in the evenings, but it’s easy to get invested and as a manager I spent a lot of time telling my teams to switch off while on days off. This is a company that is very exclusive about its hires - if you have any concerns at all about a potential hire, they’re probably a no. Therefore everyone around you is pushing to move forwards and it’s extremely rare to overhear anyone moaning about the business.

Despite being a global business, the SLT are extremely visible in local offices and take time to understand staff, even joining teams on celebratory nights out etc.

Progression can be extremely fast, training is excellent, and support is always there should you ask for it, although once you know what you’re doing you are given a great deal of trust and freedom to do your job. Bonuses take a while to start as you build your market, but once they do they can be significant. In the meantime, and throughout, there are loads of smaller rewards along the way, ranging from public awarded bottles of champagne to trips abroad for top performers.

They put you through your paces to get to management, and as such all the managers are truly inspiring. There are also loss of opportunities to move abroad, if that’s your thing, after a few years good service, or to move into different areas.

The company, for a recruitment company, is extremely moralistic. Compliance checks ensure that revenue is properly signed off by clients and focus goes on maintaining clients long term relationships. That said, many clients see recruitment as an entirely free service, and will cancel roles after several weeks work etc. The company finds a great balance between customer service and commerciality, and the benefit of such a well known brand is they are I afraid to walk away from non commercial business.

Over the last couple of years the business has transformed completely, investing more in technology and development than ever before, and reviewing and changing their corporate structure to better serve clients.

If you’re looking for a great company that will progress you up your career and let you do some amazing things along the way, this is the one for you.

Cons

Nothing atypical of a big company.

- Changes can be talked about for several months without ever moving forward, then someone can leave and everything changes very quickly.

- You have to work in the next role up for some time before being promoted to it. The higher you go, the more hazy and less specific the targets for promotion become, and you have to put faith in the business that thy will promote you when they are ready. Of course, it’s a performance business, and the higher up the ladder you are the less you bill. As such, the higher up you are, the closer to the door you are should the team below you stop delivering.

- bonuses can again be hard to predict. Since the bonus is dependant on both your personal performance and the wider teams, since bonus pots can be shared at a higher levels with other teams and since the team costs are never publicly shared (so people can’t work out colleagues salaries), working out likely bonuses is tough. Having said that, looking back on bonuses, they’ve always worked out fairly over the course of each year.

Advice to Management

I’ve seen some good people leave because they weren’t allowed to transfer departments (because they were billing well), and I’ve seen others offered promotions to buy them back after leaving. If they are worth those promotions, and if the company doesn’t want to lose them, give them opportunities and reward their work before they get to the point of quitting.

Otherwise, keep doing what you’re doing - love the business.

23 Jan 2018 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your comprehensive and balanced review and I’m pleased to hear that you not only enjoyed your time at PageGroup but you also saw the benefit of some of the positive changes and... More

2. "Michael Page Dublin"

Current Employee - Business Manager in Dublin, Co. Dublin

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Michael Page offers great training and development, it can take your career in a number of different directions and to a number of different locations.
    The Dublin office is small and unique in that you can focus on billing and making bonus! You also have the creative license to take on temp and perm and choose your industries within your discipline across the Island of Ireland.
    We have great craic as a team and celebrate success with breakfast clubs, dinners/drinks and loads of internal incentives to ensure the sales environment is motivating and rewarding.

Cons

Recruitment is not for everyone - we are a sales company so you do have to have a sales mentality. Page Group will support where necessary, around training and development but if you are not motivated or energised by making money and business development then the job is not for you.

3. "Michael Page - Dublin"

Current Employee - Business Manager in Dublin, Co. Dublin

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good workplace atmosphere, decent respectful colleagues who know their markets and operated in a professional and ethical capacity and still have good fun doing so. Decent remuneration and very good benefits package. Company good at investing in its people by way of training, support and promoting its people in Ireland and internationally.

Cons

Working hours a little bit longer than competitors but still the company allows good flexibility when you might need to finish up earlier every now and then.

"PageGroup - Dublin"

I worked at PageGroup full-time

Pros

Michael Page Ireland has a strong experienced team. The existing team highlights the meritocratic culture and opportunities to grow within. Great training for anyone seeking a long term career in sales. Office has central location, which is great for building a network with clients and candidates

Cons

Long work days but there is more flexibility when hitting targets. Bonuses are not guaranteed

Advice to Management

Management should revisit the team's structure, territories and how leads are distributed. Slightly old school approach to recruiting and management should organize more networking events. Overall it was a positive experience and a very social office.

8 May 2018 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your feedback and comments about your time with PageGroup in Dublin and I’m glad you benefited from working with experienced people and you received the training you needed to be... More

5. "PG Dublin - Progressive, autonomous culture with a strong and experienced team."

Current Employee - Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin
    Current Employee - Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin

I have been working at PageGroup full-time

Pros

The PG Dublin office is growing and there are lots of opportunities for you to take control of your own destiny. There is also lots of experience in the room and everyone shares similar goals. Anyone capable of managing their own time while getting results is given great autonomy and flexibility. The training is recognised as some of the best in the industry and you get lots of exposure to the wider business outside of Ireland. The organic culture means that you can progress based on revenue targets regardless of your age/hours worked etc. Depending on an individuals preference there are opportunities to manage people or become a senior individual revenue contributor and focus on your personal ambitions (bonuses, responsibility etc). As a multinational business, there are many examples of successful recruiters joining other PG offices around the world. At least a third of the current team have international recruitment experience.

Cons

Similar to other businesses within the industry, the team work long hours. However, the model is focused on results/output and there are plenty of employees who manage their time effectively to ensure a healthy balance of work and family time.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to ensure that the business continues to move with the times. Recruitment has an old school feel to it as an industry and PG management must ensure the company stays with the times! Overall, you must be capable of getting results but PG Dublin is a great place to work if you want autonomy, career progression and a social environment.

"Awful awful place"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Dublin, Co. Dublin

I worked at PageGroup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hard to think of many. You will get good training which is a bonus, and will learn about recruitment in a sales environment.

Cons

This is an awful place to work. You get no commission, just a bonus if you hit a certain target and even that's not guaranteed either. It's kind of like being in prison, you are told if you take a lunch break you don't care about your career you have to put up with being constantly threatened with your job. You can barely even leave your desk. Management is really poor and you will be micromanaged beyond belief. Overall it's just dreadful. Avoid!

15 Feb 2016 – Olly Watson, Executive Board Director UK & North America

I'm very sorry to hear that you had such a disappointing experience at PageGroup. We are always keen to learn from mistakes that we may have made. Our payment plans work well typically, as our... More

"Wouldn't recommend at all!!"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Dublin, Co. Dublin

I worked at PageGroup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am struggling to think of anything positive... Working here would probably make you more reticent and resilient

Cons

- no work life balance, it's like you have to sell your soul and live and breathe the place
    - work hours are minimum 8.30-6.30... I followed these hours and think it was frowned upon that I wasn't coming in earlier and staying later
    - you are expected to not take lunch
    - it's all about the aggressive hard sell and highly unethical selling to clients/candidates
    - suits grads who have never worked anywhere else
    - terrible database and hardly any candidates. You can't use their system for searches - it's woeful.
    - it's all about cold calling and cold calling the same person again and again. Your phone time is completely monitored - you are supposed to be on the phone minimum of four hours a day!!!! It's pointless and you are annoying people
    - just general awful culture, it's like a pressure cooking. You will succeed if you have no shame, don't mind applying questionable sales techniques, don't mind working like a dog and giving you life up to them
    - the bonus system.... The pooled bonus system is very ambiguous... For all the hours and stress and micro management the bonuses aren't great

"Recruitment Consultant Michael Page Ireland"

I worked at PageGroup full-time

Pros

If your good, there is fantastic career advancement opportunities
    They are still growing and promote organic growth from within
    Fantastic training and life experience, you are essentially running your own desk which you are wholly responsible for
    No commission, quarterly bonuses

Cons

Expectation is very high. Stressful, long working hours. Bonus can be calculated questionably at times. Fully responsible for your own market

Advice to Management

Work out the bonus scheme in a more clear cut way.
    Provide some flexibility to employees who deserve it

9. "Solid reputable company overall. Be weary of the "fake" posting reviews."

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been here for almost three years and I can safely say that there is a lack of validity to the overly negative one star reviews on here. On the flip side could some of the five star 100% positive reviews be manufactured? Of course there is the potential for that, any business on here has that possibility. As an outsider looking in you have to be aware that really anyone can post a review to a businesses page here, including direct competitors who would benefit from those negative postings. Having worked in this environment for as long as I have I seriously could not see someone working for the business and posting insanely negative statements, it just seems too out of bounds from my perspective. The culture here and employees that we are surrounded with are all like minded and similar, it's by far the most energetic and positive environment I've experienced in my career. Also, that was pretty easy to figure out on my own given I had the chance to sit with my future team members out on the floor during the interview process.

Cons

The company is by no means perfect but it is reputable and has 40+ years to look back on to prove that. I would have never joined the business with 3+ years experience if I thought otherwise. Instead of trusting every review on here whether it's blatantly too positive or overly negative I took the time to actually talk to current employees through outreach on LinkedIn and people in my network who knew the business first hand. I came to an informed conclusion based on my research and found that it was the place for me as I am someone who was seeking transparent promotions and higher pay (two things I wasn't getting in my last job). This is the type of business where everyone is very open and direct and if you feel a certain way you can voice that and upper management won't shut the door on you, they will work with you and hear you out. Every time I voiced an issue it was approached with professionalism and reconciled, this is an environment that gives you the opportunity to do that.

Advice to Management

In my three years here there have been improvements to the work/life balance and stepping away from the old school clock watching that most experienced, mainly before my time. Stay true to that ideology of evolution and willingness to change a business on all levels. Also, continue making improvements to keep more in tune with junior level employees. Many of the new employees to the business won't speak up and be as direct as one might hope, those employees require a bit more work and help along the way. Although the training and career development is maybe the best I've seen, I am speaking from a bigger picture standpoint.

10. "Not a bad place to work"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- nice people/culture
    - flexible working
    - well-known brand

Cons

- awful bonus structure
    - have to play the corporate game
    - too many directors who don’t bill

Advice to Management

Pay your senior consultants and managing consultants better bonuses in order to retain talent - they’re the backbone of the business and the recent turnover suggests you don’t care

Showing 760 of 1,180 reviews