PageGroup Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

PageGroup CEO Steve Ingham
Steve Ingham

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The culture perpetuates a terrible work/life balance (in 85 reviews)

• The nature of the industry is long hours so definitely not for those who are looking to put in the minimum hours in order to be successful (in 161 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Would go back any day"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at PageGroup full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved working for Page! I learned so much, tripled my salary in 4 years, worked with some amazing people and got some amazing opportunities. Negative reviews you might read are outdated; 8-6 working is a thing of the past, and flexible working has meant that employees come and go much more freely, and the office is a more relaxed and far less corporate place than the one I joined. Some departments are now completely dress down but even the more corporate ones (finance) are no longer wearing ties to work.

Nowadays the company culture is very different all together. I never worked on the weekend or in the evenings, but it’s easy to get invested and as a manager I spent a lot of time telling my teams to switch off while on days off. This is a company that is very exclusive about its hires - if you have any concerns at all about a potential hire, they’re probably a no. Therefore everyone around you is pushing to move forwards and it’s extremely rare to overhear anyone moaning about the business.

Despite being a global business, the SLT are extremely visible in local offices and take time to understand staff, even joining teams on celebratory nights out etc.

Progression can be extremely fast, training is excellent, and support is always there should you ask for it, although once you know what you’re doing you are given a great deal of trust and freedom to do your job. Bonuses take a while to start as you build your market, but once they do they can be significant. In the meantime, and throughout, there are loads of smaller rewards along the way, ranging from public awarded bottles of champagne to trips abroad for top performers.

They put you through your paces to get to management, and as such all the managers are truly inspiring. There are also loss of opportunities to move abroad, if that’s your thing, after a few years good service, or to move into different areas.

The company, for a recruitment company, is extremely moralistic. Compliance checks ensure that revenue is properly signed off by clients and focus goes on maintaining clients long term relationships. That said, many clients see recruitment as an entirely free service, and will cancel roles after several weeks work etc. The company finds a great balance between customer service and commerciality, and the benefit of such a well known brand is they are I afraid to walk away from non commercial business.

Over the last couple of years the business has transformed completely, investing more in technology and development than ever before, and reviewing and changing their corporate structure to better serve clients.

If you’re looking for a great company that will progress you up your career and let you do some amazing things along the way, this is the one for you.

Cons

Nothing atypical of a big company.

- Changes can be talked about for several months without ever moving forward, then someone can leave and everything changes very quickly.

- You have to work in the next role up for some time before being promoted to it. The higher you go, the more hazy and less specific the targets for promotion become, and you have to put faith in the business that thy will promote you when they are ready. Of course, it’s a performance business, and the higher up the ladder you are the less you bill. As such, the higher up you are, the closer to the door you are should the team below you stop delivering.

- bonuses can again be hard to predict. Since the bonus is dependant on both your personal performance and the wider teams, since bonus pots can be shared at a higher levels with other teams and since the team costs are never publicly shared (so people can’t work out colleagues salaries), working out likely bonuses is tough. Having said that, looking back on bonuses, they’ve always worked out fairly over the course of each year.

Advice to Management

I’ve seen some good people leave because they weren’t allowed to transfer departments (because they were billing well), and I’ve seen others offered promotions to buy them back after leaving. If they are worth those promotions, and if the company doesn’t want to lose them, give them opportunities and reward their work before they get to the point of quitting.

Otherwise, keep doing what you’re doing - love the business.

23 Jan 2018 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your comprehensive and balanced review and I’m pleased to hear that you not only enjoyed your time at PageGroup but you also saw the benefit of some of the positive changes and... More

2. "PG Dublin - Progressive, autonomous culture with a strong and experienced team."

Current Employee - Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin
    Current Employee - Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin

I have been working at PageGroup full-time

Pros

The PG Dublin office is growing and there are lots of opportunities for you to take control of your own destiny. There is also lots of experience in the room and everyone shares similar goals. Anyone capable of managing their own time while getting results is given great autonomy and flexibility. The training is recognised as some of the best in the industry and you get lots of exposure to the wider business outside of Ireland. The organic culture means that you can progress based on revenue targets regardless of your age/hours worked etc. Depending on an individuals preference there are opportunities to manage people or become a senior individual revenue contributor and focus on your personal ambitions (bonuses, responsibility etc). As a multinational business, there are many examples of successful recruiters joining other PG offices around the world. At least a third of the current team have international recruitment experience.

Cons

Similar to other businesses within the industry, the team work long hours. However, the model is focused on results/output and there are plenty of employees who manage their time effectively to ensure a healthy balance of work and family time.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to ensure that the business continues to move with the times. Recruitment has an old school feel to it as an industry and PG management must ensure the company stays with the times! Overall, you must be capable of getting results but PG Dublin is a great place to work if you want autonomy, career progression and a social environment.

"Awful awful place"

I worked at PageGroup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hard to think of many. You will get good training which is a bonus, and will learn about recruitment in a sales environment.

Cons

This is an awful place to work. You get no commission, just a bonus if you hit a certain target and even that's not guaranteed either. It's kind of like being in prison, you are told if you take a lunch break you don't care about your career you have to put up with being constantly threatened with your job. You can barely even leave your desk. Management is really poor and you will be micromanaged beyond belief. Overall it's just dreadful. Avoid!

15 Feb 2016 – Olly Watson, Executive Board Director UK & North America

I'm very sorry to hear that you had such a disappointing experience at PageGroup. We are always keen to learn from mistakes that we may have made. Our payment plans work well typically, as our... More

"Wouldn't recommend at all!!"

I worked at PageGroup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am struggling to think of anything positive... Working here would probably make you more reticent and resilient

Cons

- no work life balance, it's like you have to sell your soul and live and breathe the place
    - work hours are minimum 8.30-6.30... I followed these hours and think it was frowned upon that I wasn't coming in earlier and staying later
    - you are expected to not take lunch
    - it's all about the aggressive hard sell and highly unethical selling to clients/candidates
    - suits grads who have never worked anywhere else
    - terrible database and hardly any candidates. You can't use their system for searches - it's woeful.
    - it's all about cold calling and cold calling the same person again and again. Your phone time is completely monitored - you are supposed to be on the phone minimum of four hours a day!!!! It's pointless and you are annoying people
    - just general awful culture, it's like a pressure cooking. You will succeed if you have no shame, don't mind applying questionable sales techniques, don't mind working like a dog and giving you life up to them
    - the bonus system.... The pooled bonus system is very ambiguous... For all the hours and stress and micro management the bonuses aren't great

"Recruitment Consultant Michael Page Ireland"

I worked at PageGroup full-time

Pros

If your good, there is fantastic career advancement opportunities
    They are still growing and promote organic growth from within
    Fantastic training and life experience, you are essentially running your own desk which you are wholly responsible for
    No commission, quarterly bonuses

Cons

Expectation is very high. Stressful, long working hours. Bonus can be calculated questionably at times. Fully responsible for your own market

Advice to Management

Work out the bonus scheme in a more clear cut way.
    Provide some flexibility to employees who deserve it

7. "Fun place"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at PageGroup full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Gives you the skills to build a career
    good base and decent commission...overall comp is much higher in commission only environment
    a fun time for a job in your your 20s work hard and page hard
    Enjoyed trips to cabo, london, ny, etc.

Cons

technology and work life balance were behind the times

Advice to Management

be more flexible and encouraging. Less with the stick more with the carrot

8. "Being the best & trained by the best"

Former Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at PageGroup full-time

Pros

John Davies, he is the most amazing and exceptional boss in LA
    You would be lucky to work for him. Richard Vickers I hope you read this.

Cons

Leaving is hard, I had to for my career but I miss my amazing team

Advice to Management

John Davies and Cindy Liu, you are exceptional human beings. You both have guided and helped me to set MP promotion records, which will probably be broken soon by the other team members you mentor :)

"Team and overall experience is great, company culture is too number-oriented."

Former Employee - Recruiter in Barcelona (Spain)
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Barcelona (Spain)

I worked at PageGroup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team, during the time I spent there, everyone on my division (Page Personnel) made me feel like a part of the team.
    Good Salary given the experience and the sector.
    Formation
    Autonomy

Cons

Too number-oriented, that means that you can be on top of the crest a month and then sunk to the bottom of the pool on subsequent months.
    The whole nation-wide sales-ranking-system culture wasn't really for me.

Advice to Management

Keep that outreach to newcomers, that's very important so they can start performing better in the short-term.
    I understand that sales are the main driver, but sometimes it was a bit too much.

10. "Good place to work and learn"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For back office role, Quite work life balance and lots of projects. Medical benefits are awesome. Annual leave 20 days.

Cons

For IT, no career path and poor management.

Advice to Management

Need better project planning, risk and people management

11. "great place to work"

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at PageGroup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work, fun and friendly people

Cons

long hours - staple of the industry though.
    they don't have good coffee. A coffee machine wouldn't go astray.

Advice to Management

keep it up

12 Feb 2018 – Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your review and I’m glad you found PageGroup a great place to work, despite the coffee!

Last year we introduced Dynamic Working to address the view that you have to work long hours... More