Oxford University Press Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Oxford University Press Reviews

Updated 2 de Dec 2019

2.8
Oxford University Press CEO Nigel Portwood (no image)
Nigel Portwood
Pros
  • "Great work culture and great work life balance(in 58 reviews)

• "A nascent focus on change and digital transformation is going to make OUP an exciting (and career-defining) place to work for many people(in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • "Not OUP related but traffic is constant thorn in everyone's side(in 60 reviews)

• "Low pay and slow career progression(in 46 reviews)

"Great opportunities to a point"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Friendly co-workers, lots of opportunities to get involved in different projects, work with global colleagues

Cons

not for profit salary, small operation in Canada so you can hit a wall in terms of opportunities, hopefully there will be more global opportunities in the future.

Oxford University Press2019-11-27
  2. "Not a software engineering firm"

Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Oxford University Press full-time

Pros

- good planning - relaxed place - lot of social groups and events

Cons

- bad execution of plans - terrible salary

Oxford University Press2019-11-25
  3. "Meaningful mission with wonderful, cash-strapped colleagues"

Current Employee - Commissioning Editor in Oxford, England

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Strong mission, great colleagues, good work-life balance, brilliant location

Cons

Salaries do not reflect cost of living

Oxford University Press2019-11-20

"It's ok..."

Current Employee - Release Manager in Oxford, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good location, good people. in fact it's the people that make the it a nice place to work

Cons

fragmented business setup where divisions act as individual companies. too much duplication of effort. lack of direction.

Advice to Management

look after your people.

Oxford University Press2019-11-14

"A good company to build a solid career base"

Current Employee - Assistant Marketing Manager

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time

Pros

Great people. Good management and leadership. Transparency.

Cons

No bonuses and salaries at the lower end.

Oxford University Press2019-11-04

"A Self-Determining Place, with One Major Flaw"

Current Employee - Various in New York, NY

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

As someone who has worked in various departments and teams across OUP for nearly 10 years, I can confidently say that, for better or for worse, your experience here is largely what you make of it. I see some employees, usually younger ones, get frustrated when no one drops the next step of their career into their lap, even when they're working hard. It just doesn't work that way here. If you take control of your own... career development, create your own opportunities, and proactively pursue what you want, there are opportunities for growth here, but you have to go out and get them. This can work out quite postively: at the moment, I'm in a role that didn't exist until I proposed it to my manager and demonstrated its value against a very real business need. Some companies might offer a more regimented career ladder, but those same companies might not allow the degree of self-determination that a company like OUP can offer, given its size and global scope.

Cons

That being said, I do think OUP's one major flaw (at least within the US) is HR. I don't necessarily mean the individual staff members (there are some real gems), but more just its general structure and ethos. To be honest, I've never seen an HR department that is so at odds with its company's staff, occasionally verging on antagonistic. Specifically, everything surrounding the processes of recruitment, creating a... new position, promoting an exisiting person, raising someone's salary, etc.--everything in that area needs to be much more flexible, efficient, and transparent, and, at least in its current form, US HR doesn't seem to be capable of handling important and sensitive issues like these very gracefully. I truly think this would remove the majority of the negative comments on here. It would also be nice to have an HR department that, even just in spirit, felt as though it were on the employees' side instead of being an oppositional force all the time.

Advice to Management

Make promotions, raises, and job movement more flexible and transparent, and please do what you can to make HR's lives easier so that they, in turn, can make our lives easier.

Oxford University Press2019-10-22
  7. "Sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mumbai

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time

Pros

You will get to know how the Publishing Industry work & can make a good career in Sales. I liked it because it's a season wise sales.

Cons

A lot of leg work required.

Oxford University Press2019-10-31
  8. "Just No"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Oxford University Press full-time for more than a year

Pros

A lot of vacation days.

Cons

Too bad you don't make enough money to go anywhere on all those vacation days. Do yourself a favor and apply to literally any other company.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.

Oxford University Press2019-12-03

"Avoid"

Former Employee - Development Editor in Oxford, England

I worked at Oxford University Press full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice offices. Some nice colleagues.

Cons

No training whatsoever. Any "training session" was basically, "go on Lynda.com and get ready for if a spot above you does open up" and then the remaining hour was spent listening to senior members of staff complaining about how there are no opportunities for even lateral movement. The CEOs are idiots that don't understand OUPs place in the market and blunder from one disaster to another. They are bailed out by... their association with the University. If this were any other company, it would have gone bust ages ago. There is also a culture of bullying and HR couldn't give a toss. When I confronted them with evidence of constructive dismissal, they just shrugged their shoulders and did nothing. Lower pay than elsewhere in the sector.

Oxford University Press2019-11-26

"Good work-life balance, no career path"

Current Employee - Editor
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time

Pros

Decent benefits, casual dress code, flex hours policy.

Cons

Very little personal development and opportunities for a career path.

Oxford University Press2019-10-23