Oxford University Press Reviews

Updated 2 Jul 2020

2.9
Oxford University Press CEO Nigel Portwood (no image)
Nigel Portwood
Pros
  • "Holiday car pay Work life balance(in 60 reviews)

• "A nascent focus on change and digital transformation is going to make OUP an exciting (and career-defining) place to work for many people(in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • "Need more investments in the publishing operations if OUP is going to be an active participant in the new publishing environment(in 66 reviews)

• "Low pay and slow career progression(in 48 reviews)

1. "oup review"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in London, England

I worked at Oxford University Press full-time for more than a year

Pros

nice comfortable pleasant growing fun

Cons

bad uncomfortable unpleasant non growing not fun

2. "good"

Current Employee - Development Editor in New Delhi

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time

Pros

working timings, holidays, flexibility, location

Cons

work pressure, unplanned approach, hod

"ELT Editorial"

Current Employee - Production Editor in Oxford, England

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Immediate peers are friendly and helpful. The role has a lot of variance. Freedom to work from home. My immediate line manager can't be faulted for the time she puts into her reports.

Cons

Salary is too low by industry standards and against Oxford living costs. There is unclear progression from Production Editors to Content Editors in the department, staff are encouraged to apply for Content positions and turned down too often creating a negative feeling for crossover. There is a feeling of superiority of Content Editors against Production Editors. Production are often treated as assistants and kept out of project conversations, making their work much more difficult. Management do not seem to have any idea how products are developed or the time required to create them. Deadlines are most often too tight which results in stressful conditions.

Continue reading

"Sales Job At Oxford University Press"

Current Employee - Senior Territory Sales Executive in Meerut

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You Can Learn a lot , New tech pf sales and marketing , Good company to start career .

Cons

Lots of complications , NO Job Security for sales person, Lots of pressure ....

June 5, 2020OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We are grateful that you took the time to share your feedback. We would welcome the chance to understand more about some of the points you raise, especially around complexities and job security. You can tell us more by emailing glassdoor@oup.com.

5. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I worked at Oxford University Press full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company to work with

Cons

Average Salary as per industry standards

June 5, 2020OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thank you for your positive feedback about working at OUP. If you’d like to expand on any of the points in your review at all, please email glassdoor@oup.com.

"Good employer"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Oxford, England

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time

Pros

Salary, Bonus Good line management, Supportive environment

Cons

Slow to make changes Cuts in lieu of industry challenges but still expectation to hit same targets

May 21, 2020OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We’re really pleased to see that you would recommend OUP to others, and are enjoying your time working here. If you would like to expand on any of the points you raise in your review, then please do get in touch by emailing glassdoor@oup.com.

7. "A very slow moving company"

Current Employee - Area Manager

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Very organised, lots of resources and support, great for professional progression

Cons

very slow to react, depending on the department there may be corporate strategy games you'll need to play

May 21, 2020OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thanks for your review about working at OUP. We’re particularly pleased to hear your feedback about how OUP can support your professional progression. We’re always keen to hear more about your experiences, and where you feel we can improve further, so please do consider getting in touch with us via glassdoor@oup.com.

8. "Tutor"

Current Employee - Tutor

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work with kids in a classroom environment

Cons

start and end times are later than expected

May 6, 2020OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We’re delighted that you have had a positive experience at OUP. If you would like to tell us any more, please get in touch by emailing glassdoor@oup.com.

9. "OUP Technology team"

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time

Pros

Great working environment, very friendly people to work with.

Cons

Less pay. Hard to promote to management team

May 6, 2020OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thank you for leaving a review. We’re really pleased to see you’d recommend OUP to others, and to hear your positive comments around our people. To expand on any of the points you mention, please do email us on glassdoor@oup.com.

"Underhand tactics and bad management"

2.0
    Current Employee - Editorial in Oxford, England

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time

Pros

good co workers good facilities historically good contractual terms

Cons

bad management HR who force the workforce to amend their contract either voluntarily or via redundancy and rehire. This has happened multiple times and sets a worrying trend whereby OUP can hire people with what seem like fantastic contractual terms but amend them when they wish. Surely this is illegal?

May 6, 2020OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback, and would like to reassure you that OUP is committed to operating fairly, ethically, and in compliance with the law at all times. If you would like to tell us more about your specific concerns, we encourage you to get in touch by emailing glassdoor@oup.com.

Found 568 reviews