Oscar Reviews

Updated 8 Aug 2020

4.7
Oscar Chief Executive Officer Andy Morrell
Andy Morrell
Pros
  • "As a trainee I didn’t do that many placements, but after three months in the job I wanted to go consultant and I entered the big bad world of billing(in 9 reviews)

• "After working in both the Manchester and London offices, I could not recommend Oscar more(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours but this is to be expected (especially if you want to earn(in 6 reviews)

• "It is a High Pressure Environment but that is true of all the best recruitment companies(in 3 reviews)

1. "I was promoted during a global pandemic ..."

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Manchester, England

I have been working at Oscar full-time for less than a year

Pros

The best reason for working at Oscar is the renowned training programme that the Directors invest stacks of time into - coming into recruitment with no prior experience in sales I was fairly blind in terms of what to expect, however due to training with a message that 'anyone can do it' I can say that joining Oscar when starting a career in recruitment was the best decision! I am still a very junior consultant with only 10 months experience but during my short time have been promoted during a global pandemic and nationwide lockdown; during which time was also given the opportunity to continue working and upskill my abilities. If you're looking to get into recruitment and want the support and growth you need in order to make a long-term career out of it, I couldn't recommend Oscar enough.

Cons

I couldn't fault a company that has supported my progression through perhaps the most testing times the economy has seen. I have seen the effects that this pandemic has had on the recruitment industry and so it really is a testament to the company that they continued to support my progression

2. "Customer Service"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Oscar full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Don’t have any cons right now

3. "Good place"

4.0
    Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at Oscar full-time

Pros

salary, work life Balance, benefits, life

Cons

lots of work, distance, no food, chores

4. "First month as a consultant at Oscar"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Manchester, England

I have been working at Oscar full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good management- I met my manager in my first interview and got on really well with him. I think that in itself set me up with a good start, he sets a strong example I want to follow. Clear path set out for me- This is my first month as Consultant and I knew exactly what I had to do to get there. The transition was smooth, being trained by Matt the MD on client work from the start of my time here meant that becoming as a Consultant wasn’t scary- which I know from speaking to friends who are in recruitment, that is mostly the case. I can’t not mention Oscar’s culture- everyone here feels the buzz of the office, I noticed it in my first interview and I couldn’t ignore that. Yes there are the company trips, lunches and Friday night outings, but in working hours I am constantly driven by my environment.

Cons

The hours can be long. But honestly I knew that coming into recruitment, it was pretty tough at first but now I am starting to see results it just shows they are worth it.

5. "Great tools for my career"

Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Oscar full-time for less than a year

Pros

Since day 1, everyone has been helpful and understanding. They've helped in regards to my personal life and business life to help make me successful. They've also given me the best tools in the industry to ensure I'm given the best chance to succeed.

Cons

You are thrown into it rather than being eased in. Depending on previous experience, it can be difficult.

6. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Delivery Consultant in London, England

I worked at Oscar full-time for more than a year

Pros

After working in both the Manchester and London offices, I could not recommend Oscar more! Everyone that works there is so supportive and the, management really understand each employees needs. The base salary and extra benefits are some of the best you will find and they run some really exciting incentives such as winter and summer holidays. Their culture and values really are second to none and everyone really supports and celebrates each success. The training and progression they provide consultants is fantastic and they are happy for people to go in their own direction. If I hadn't moved abroad, I would definitley still be working with Oscar!

Cons

Recruitment is hard and some people just aren't cut out for it. There are no downsides of working at Oscar.

7. "Recruitment"

Current Employee - Head of Practice in Houston, TX

I have been working at Oscar full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent input vs reward environment

Cons

still a smaller company, but that is not necessarily a bad thing

"Great Culture & Exciting Vision"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Partner in Austin, TX

I have been working at Oscar full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I've worked at Oscar in a number of positions (started as a Trainee / Resource Consultant), and it's been a pleasure to see the business learn, grow and become more recognized in the market for investing in its people. There is a common theme in the reviews which relates to the training and platform that Oscar provides for people to achieve their personal and professional goals - I couldn't agree more. My personal favorite Pros (US): - Fair base salaries and clear performance targets to hit promotions/rises (meritocratic) - No Threshold / Draw before earning Commission (up to 30% rate) - 100% contribution to healthcare starting with no waiting period (worth $490+ per month) - 20 days PTO + free vacation over Xmas - 12pm finishes every Friday - No KPIs The Leadership team have all been with the business for a long time, and it's easy to see that they all want to grow the business and create a success culture, but without sacrificing the wellness of employees.

Cons

When I first started, I didn't feel that t the Vision was as clear as it is now, but I think some of that was down to communication between the UK HQ to the US offices. I still believe there is room for improvement on that front and with project collaboration opportunities. However, there has been lots of investment in new tools over the last few months and on the horizon. For career progression, the main path is to grow a team, which is excellent if that aligns with the individuals' personal development. Still, it would good if there were IC / SME, Account Management, or Delivery options offered and built out too. Other than that, the only other Cons are general as with most 360 Recruitment Agency positions. You have to work hard, continuously learn, and be self-motivated, and you will be rewarded accordingly.

"Oscar is like a family"

Current Employee - Operations Assistant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Oscar part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Family feel environment where everyone looks out for everyone -Great training programs for trainees -Flexibility when needed -Continued Manager Support

Cons

-More communication needed between US and UK offices

Oscar Response

December 18, 2019Marketing Executive

Hello,Thanks so much for your feedback- we really appreciate it!We have a solution that will support the communication between all of our offices both in the UK and US which we are excited to be introducing at the beginning of 2020.

"Tools for a life time"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I worked at Oscar full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fantastic training and support, creates a great positive working environment and I can see that has only gone from strength to strength since I have left. Managers that lead from the front, overseas opportunities, promotional opportunities, rewards, amazing commission, great out of work environment, good effort to be social. I can honestly say working for Oscar was the best career move I ever made. I

Cons

So recruitment isn't for everyone, but most think they can do it. This isn't necessarily a con for Oscar, but I look at some of the negative comments and think that recruitment just wasn't for that person

Continue reading