Ontario Systems Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Ontario Systems Reviews

Updated 8 Nov 2019

3.5
Ontario Systems CEO and Co-Founder Ron Fauquher (no image)
Ron Fauquher
  1. "No Future"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Ontario Systems full-time

Pros

They offer lots of free parking.

Cons

CEO, President, and all six Vice Presidents are straight white men. Very "boy's club" environment. I once reported an associate making racist comments and nothing happened (beyond the associate being promoted shortly thereafter). The organization is intentionally silo'd into Business Units. Collaboration was rare prior to that reorganization and it's practically vanished since then.

Advice to Management

When it comes to diversity and inclusion, go above and beyond what is required by law.

Ontario Systems2019-11-08

"Girls Not Allowed"

Former Employee - Vancouver Office in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Ontario Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are some really awesome people who have worked there for a long time and are absolutely worth knowing.

Cons

It's a boys' club. Women are not promoted into positions of authority and they are not given the same respect as the men. Raises are slow, if at all. Problem employees are allowed to remain employed, even when there is sufficient evidence to let them go. Communication is all spin. Everyone is dramatically underpaid for the Portland Metro area. All the salaries and benefits are based on the Muncie, IN headquarters without taking into consideration the VAST difference in cost of living in Washington. Management tells you they listen to you, but they don't HEAR you. There isn't a lot of upward opportunities.

Advice to Management

Improve benefits and salaries for Vancouver by separating them from Muncie. Don't keep problem employees. Stop making promises you won't keep.

Ontario Systems2019-10-16
  3. "Wonderful company. Everybody is very friendly and inviting"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Ontario Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, good pay, strong leaders, and good onboarding

Cons

Legacy code, not in the greatest city

Ontario Systems2019-06-25
  4. "Stepping Stone"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Muncie, IN

I worked at Ontario Systems full-time

Pros

Upper management aims to hire people and keep them for the long haul. People are generally friendly and easy to work with. There are a quite a few great people still working there. A large portion of their staff have been there for 5-10 years or more. Decent place to work for 1-2 years to get experience for the next job.

Cons

At the core, there lives a group of people and technology stack that is firmly cemented in their ways. There is a groupthink aspect going on too. If you propose new things, it may not go over well, or be immediately shut down. Ontario Systems is a car that is speeding into the future while the engine block is rattling apart. Unless things are dramatically turned around in the next few years, I don't see a long term future there.

Advice to Management

Build a new product and a new business model for it before someone else does and puts you out of business.

Ontario Systems2019-06-12
  5. "Company Culture"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant and Events Coordinator in Muncie, IN

I have been working at Ontario Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Super family oriented. Strong commitment o the community. Lots of team building and fun events. Great pay...especially for the area.

Cons

Tenured staff and sometimes feel a little complacent.

Ontario Systems2019-03-28
  6. "Industry Leader, Family Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Muncie, IN

I have been working at Ontario Systems part-time for less than a year

Pros

The company encourages employees to continue to innovate, improve, and implement best practices. There is a familyesque culture meaning you can feel comfortable and open daily in the office Collaboration is vital for this company as sharing knowledge is very important for the company Flexible with their employees

Cons

Projects and tasks sometimes get pushed off, forgotten about, or develop a loss of priority or importance

Ontario Systems2019-03-21

"Great People, Bad Technology"

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Muncie, IN

I have been working at Ontario Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

Absolutely amazing people, management is great, the CEO is approachable.

Cons

The company uses Cache from Intersystems. A programming language from Hell. All the code is in one file which the proprietary IDE rips apart and makes it appear as though there are many files. This makes it basically impossible to work with anything except their IDE. And it is not great to say the least.

Advice to Management

Start a new team to rebuild the products we have using a modern technology stack. If you don't, you will drown in your own technical debt and your engineers won't be able to add a feature to save their life.

Ontario Systems2019-02-22

"Just good enough to stick around"

Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Ontario Systems full-time

Pros

Flexibility - Company sponsored events - Good people to work with

Cons

Way to much management - Pay is low - Really bad/old technology

Ontario Systems2019-02-05
  9. "You-Powered Culture"

I have been working at Ontario Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You're allowed to carve your own path Micromanaging is non-existent Welcoming culture, full of great people Authentic leaders who lead with transparency

Cons

Highly tenured staff leads to change resistance Leadership is attached to age-old management tactics Little innovation regarding talent retention

Advice to Management

Get creative about keeping your talented resources

Ontario Systems2019-01-08
  10. "Anonymous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Muncie, IN

I have been working at Ontario Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ontario Systems empowers their associates to be the drivers of their own careers. As a working mother, I am finally in an organization where I feel like a trade-off doesn't need to be made -- I don't have to sacrifice my family for the career I want and visa versa. Flexibility, remote work, and balance is celebrated and encouraged.

Cons

Management (and everyone in general) can sometimes seem stretched a little to thinly -- more resources would give them time to focus more on associate development. Bonus structure also needs to be improved/implemented. Health insurance could be better.

Advice to Management

Same as above in the cons section. Develop a SINGLE strategic vision and focus your efforts on that vision.

Ontario Systems2018-11-30