Okta Director Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Updated 18 Sep 2019

5.0
Okta CEO Todd McKinnon
Todd McKinnon

"Highly rewarding Work. Fast pace. Startup mentality."

Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Okta full-time for less than a year

Pros

Absolutely best product in the Identity as a service space. Maniacal focus on growth. Very sharp hires. Constant new hires. Open communication. CEO does an all hands call every Friday. You can ask anything.

Cons

Work-life balance. The motto is ‘Always On’ and I don’t agree with that. I work to provide for my family and I do need to be around to take care of them. Always-On is not my idea of balance. Too many apps for everything. Hard to navigate. Crazy amount of emails. You have to be very focused to not have email run your day.

Advice to Management

I think it’s a great culture. Keep hiring top talent. Compensation doesn’t match the work load compared to my previous gigs. It’s 25% more work for about the same amount of pay. Hire fast. Act fast. Two of my referrals went elsewhere as we took too long to get the 7 interviews done! I really like my BU and direct leadership. Love the transparency and access to leadership. Enjoying the crazy pace for now but at... some point it will need to balance out.

Okta2019-09-19
  2. "Rapid growth career launching company"

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Okta full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company is growing fast, lots of career opportunities, once in a lifetime opportunity.

Cons

long work hours, always on

Okta2019-05-28
  3. "Great Company to work for"

Director

I have been working at Okta for more than 5 years

Pros

Awesome leadership, great vision and execution

Cons

Getting big now which can be challenging to keep the culture and people.

Advice to Management

Stay connected to your people as you grow bigger.

Okta2017-12-04

"Awesome Company, Awesome Products. The Future is Okta"

Director in London, England

I have been working at Okta

Pros

Okta is a truly great company to work for. We have best in class products and a genuine commitment to customer success that combine to make Okta undisputed market leaders. The technical team in particular is the best I have ever worked for in the field of Identity and Access Management and whilst it is a much over used term these folk are real technical Rockstars. The culture is open, collaborative and adult and... Todd and Freddie have done an phenomenal job of growing a highly credible global organisation whilst maintaining the look and feel of a start up. Weekly all hands meetings ensure that everyone knows the direction of travel and there is a clear articulation of vision and strategy. The leadership is strong and inspirational. In EMEA we have created and developed an awesome team of subject matter experts and opportunities for growth are pretty much limitless.

Cons

Okta is not for the faint hearted. The sheer scale of the opportunities means that maintaining a work life balance can be challenging. However we are all treated like adults and given the freedom to manage our own time. It's not a 9 - 5 job but nothing great was ever created without a bit of hard work. There is no where to hide but you absolutely get out what you put in.

Okta2016-09-18

"The Real Deal"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Okta full-time for less than a year

Pros

Many companies impress during a loop, but once you join you quickly see the soft underbelly - product issues, customer sat issues, political infighting, etc. In my experience Okta is exactly what it appeared to be - A market leader with great technology, run by (and staffed by) people who want to build a great company with fanatic customer at the center. And I believe the same people that starting this company... actually also know how to scale it - that is not too common.

Cons

Not a con to me, but worth noting. You do not have to work around the clock, but you better work with urgency and be very good at what you do.

Okta2016-09-15

"Great company but you have got to have drive"

Director of Channel Sales in London, England

I have been working at Okta

Pros

i started with Okta nearly 2 years ago now after a number of IAM start-up/Hyper growth US companies, Okta has proved to be challenging but in the right ways, the people are great the company wants to do the best thing for its customers and its employees. compensation packages are on average or slightly higher than the market offerings for the UK for me the best Pro is that the company wants you to have... passion about what you do and what we offer to our customers as a solution, everybody is heard and can have a say which is great and the correct thing to do in a ever expanding company.

Cons

you have to be able to be self sufficient if you are looking for a company to put your feet up and work 9 - 5 this is not the place for you but i see that as a Pro Okta can seem disconnected and disjointed at times between the departments and to people who are used to large companies this would be a con but it is growing pains of a fast growing hight tech company

Advice to Management

help the teams be more joined up and have joint goals

Okta2016-09-16

"Sales Managment"

Current Employee - Director of Sales

I have been working at Okta full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Product, Focused on customer success and sustainability, Constantly challenged, Great culture, Market leader by a mile, solid benefits, good comp, tons of upward mobility

Cons

None, work hard play hard

Advice to Management

Well done, keep it up and don't ever comprise on your standard.

Okta2016-06-22

"Director, Sales"

Former Employee - Senior Account Director

I worked at Okta full-time for more than a year

Pros

The space is interesting and customers typically struggle with IAM solutions. Okta has a nice platform to handle SaaS based IAM for cloud apps.

Cons

Okta flooded the field sales force. Revenue expectations were unreasonable. Contracting issues with certain verticals (Healthcare). The product had limitations with broad scale deployments.

Advice to Management

Come up with a plan to address Healthcare and figure out a way to agree to Business Associate Agreements. Improve the product to work with broad scale deployments (consumer facing). Figure out a hybrid model to address on premise applications.

Okta2016-04-18

"Okta is a great team to be part of!"

Current Employee - Area Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Okta full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company. Customers love our service. Management and co-workers are smart, collaborative and always on.

Cons

Not really a con. But high growth, high energy is not for everyone:)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! Okta is a great place to work.

Okta2016-01-12
  10. "Great company, culture, etc."

Current Employee - Director of Sales in Orinda, CA

I have been working at Okta full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Can't say enough good things. Okta is my second start up after leaving the Big4 consulting life and I could not be happier. Great people, positive culture, C-Level is very approachable, etc.. It's been an unreal ride the last 3.75 yrs. Very much looking fwd to the future.

Cons

Nothing worth noting comes to mind.

Okta2016-01-12