OfficeMax Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Updated 27 Jan 2020

OfficeMax Chief Executive Officer Gerry Smith
Gerry Smith
Pros
Cons
  • "Difference in work methods with Officemax vs Office Depot employees(in 113 reviews)

• "Upper Management did not stand behind store management(in 62 reviews)

1. "Jon"

Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at OfficeMax full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, paid time off, flexible hours

Cons

The pay itself is not that great

OfficeMax2020-01-28
  2. "This place is awful"

Current Employee - Customer Engagement Manager in Glen Carbon, IL

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time for less than a year

Pros

Commission, Decent Pay for managers, PTO

Cons

Short Staffing, High Turnover, Rude Managers, Pushing to sell to customers who aren't interested. New things added to job daily, no consistency

Advice to Management

Actually train your employees, and stop pushing the managers to sell unrealistic ammounts. Half of the customers that come in, just want one item or two. They don't want to be sold the whole store.

OfficeMax2020-01-18
  3. "Being a Supervisor at Office Max"

Current Employee - Client Engagement Specialist
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time for more than a year

Pros

I learned a lot, the day goes by pretty fast for me due to constant moving, multiple avenues of development, potential for bonus, PTO, benefits

Cons

Pay could be more, upper management trickles threats to associates about tasks that are not 100% on them such as sales and sign ups.

Advice to Management

Continue to make more genuine connections with employees and communities.

OfficeMax2019-12-30
  4. "Pretty awful experience"

Former Employee - Sales and Service Manager

I worked at OfficeMax full-time for less than a year

Pros

Could show up late all the time

Cons

Mostly incompetent management and co-workers. Co workers didn't want to learn how to do their job so they wouldn't have to. Management literally didn't know what they were doing despite pretending to. Worst of all the customers are terrible people and mostly mentally disabled.

Advice to Management

Update that resume

OfficeMax2020-01-21
  5. "OfficeMax"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time

Pros

Give you hours you want

Cons

On your feet all day

OfficeMax2019-12-13
  6. "Good"

Former Employee - Advertising in Cleveland, OH

I worked at OfficeMax full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

TIme off, work place Benefits are good

Cons

Long drive to work during rush hour

OfficeMax2019-12-10
  7. "OfficeMax"

I worked at OfficeMax full-time

Pros

OfficeMax is a very ethical company.

Cons

Immediate manager was a micro manager.

OfficeMax2019-12-08
  8. "Poor Staffing, Compensation, and Incentives Creates High Turnover"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Elkridge, MD

I worked at OfficeMax full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- The company is willing to bring in outside experience for mid-level management roles - The company does try to find ways to motivate employees (however, they won't spend money to do so)

Cons

- Disconnect between senior management/ admin (office) and warehouse employees creates tension - Junior employees being offered compensation that will not allow them to support their families in high income areas - The company will not do anything to incentivize hard work. Emphasis is placed on meeting the standard, not exceeding it. - No opportunities for advancement based on immediate skill level. You will need to work years (nearly a decade!) before they will consider you for a position at the next level

Advice to Management

Consider your resources. Is it cheaper to pay the minimum and constantly need to train and certify new employees, or bring in quality applicants from the beginning. No one looks at OfficeMax as along-term employer. It's a job and when a better opportunity comes, no one hesitates in taking it. Also, provide training and opportunities for advancement. This isn't just in position, but in compensation as well. You can easily build those steps in and genuinely get employees excited about longevity and performance.

OfficeMax2019-12-11
  9. "misleading listing"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time for less than a year

Pros

relatively low-stress compared to other retail environments discount

Cons

relative to similar positions in my region of the united states, i'm being underpaid by at least 8k/year, even accounting for a lack of paid management experience and being an external hire. also, HSA instead of an actual health insurance program with a lot of fine print that essentially translates to me being better off private-paying. granted, i'm speaking from my experiences so far at a specific store in no particular order: my boss advised me to play mind games with an associate instead of interacting with them like a normal human being over an "incident" (strong word) i forgot immediately after it happened. just generally, has a huge thing for blaming other people when things go sour and kinda seems to be projecting his own insecurities and flaws onto others. possibly a bit misogynistic given his comments about my female coworkers, so i'm sure he's assigned a "female" stereotype to me by now (it'll come out eventually). a general lack of support and training after my two-week course in the district's training store - in fact, even though i have been with the company for a short amount of time i am under the impression that my boss is of the opinion that i should have learned everything by now, despite giving me very few tools to get up to speed short of me asking directly. being sold on the position by claiming that they were looking for "new ideas." so far, nothing meaningful is being changed, for all the talk of "working on it." i was also lied to about associates being cross-trained to all departments, given that only four people can actually flex between front-end and copy/print related to being misled about expectations, the goal posts are always shifting when it comes to task management. i have yet to see another manager or senior employee be pulled aside and lectured for any minor mistakes, even though one of my fellow managers has been bypassing tech service requirements because she doesn't like the current sop for work orders? hello? mostly i feel like a glorified associate. color me shocked upon learning that when my boss took over the store one of my predecessors lined up a job and quit, and then the one after was only here a few months before they also left for a different job. here's hoping i'll be out soon as well.

Advice to Management

if everyone else sucks at their job no matter who you hire for it, maybe it's time to rip the actual problem out by the roots

OfficeMax2019-12-10
  10. "Ok"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Batavia, IL

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Ok place to work but not competitive pay

Cons

Management not very professional not consistent expectations between different employees

Advice to Management

create an even playing field don't expect more out of some people than you do out of others

OfficeMax2019-11-22