Nuance Medical Transcriptionist Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Mark Benjamin

"Medical transcriptionist"

Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Sahibzada Ajit Singh Nagar

I have been working at Nuance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good perks and shift schedule

Cons

Sometimes work ends in 3-4 hours of shift

Advice to Management

Work is great, just needs more consistency.

Nuance2019-10-02
  2. "Technology company, not an MTSO."

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Ottawa, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Nuance part-time for less than a year

Pros

Superior technology and abundant workflow, work from home.

Cons

Low pay, standard price for all kinds of dictations,

Advice to Management

None.

Nuance2019-10-30

"Company has poor management skills"

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist/Editor in Williamston, NC

I worked at Nuance full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Working remotely and independently from anywhere.

Cons

Managers with poor people skills. Only met with employees when something was wrong.

Advice to Management

Upper management should learn how to manage employees better.

Nuance2019-10-07
  4. "We are grid locked"

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist/Editor in Coimbatore

I worked at Nuance full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Professional, flexible hours, good infrastructure.

Cons

Lately, it has become too stringent and volume of work has gone down.

Advice to Management

Try to be more benevolent to your employees

Nuance2019-08-28
  5. "Great place to work!"

Current Contractor - Medical Transcriptionist in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Nuance for more than 8 years

Pros

All employees are very friendly and helpful. Great pay!

Cons

No complaints at this time.

Nuance2019-08-07
  6. "Medical Transcriptionist"

Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Hyderābād

I have been working at Nuance full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good hearing skills and typing speed.

Cons

Too far away to work from my place.

Nuance2019-07-18

"Thinking about working for them gives me chills of disgust"

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist/Editor in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at Nuance full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only pro of working for them was that I learned how to use EditScript, which is a program I use in my current job. I did work with some very fine transcriptionists and some of the team leaders were nice and sympathetic.

Cons

I have read through the reviews by other transcriptionist/editors and have been nodding my head for an hour. Yes, I experienced everything they did; their reviews are legit; I experienced this myself. Where do I begin? I was recruited for this job. I’ve been transcribing for over 30 years. This was the worst experience of my professional life. Right from the get-go, the recruiter represented the... compensation was at more than $0.08/line, but that was a lie; he had said nothing about the “edited” work was compensated at half that. I worked here for about 15 months. It was awful. I was required to be available to work 40 hours a week; my shift began in the afternoon and I worked until 11 p.m. or something. However, there was never enough work to work more than 30 hours/week. I was scheduled to work, couldn’t work for anyone else, but for at least two hours a day, there was no work and no pay. I was still supposed to check in periodically to see if there was work, but this was uncompensated. I honestly couldn’t afford to live on $12K for a full-time job. At the time I was l living in poverty working for them, Nuance’s CEO Paul Ricci was reported to be the highest paid executive in Massachusetts, earning around $33 MILLION per year. There were frequent problems with the platform I was using. I found the IT folks pleasant, but the hours I waited for a callback for someone to remote access my computer and fix things were uncompensated time. I was repeatedly told “Nobody else has these problems” and it was suggested that I get a new computer. The computer I was working on was less than a year old, but I did go out and get a new computer, and the problems persisted. I supplied the computer, the Word software, the high-speed internet connection, the electricity; Nuance’s contribution to this overhead was ZERO. There were phone meetings and emails from managers where we were continually promised more work which never materialized. I worked on several accounts and each account had different editing/transcription standards. The QA was punitive. I was expected to contend with horrible sound quality (imagine 5 minutes of static) and produce a transcript with zero blanks or else my compensation rate for the entire pay period would be reduced. The entire system was designed so that transcriptionists were paid the lowest rate possible while keeping them constantly hungry for work. I came across an article on sick systems at issendai dot com and it really hit home. This is the Nuance business model. I remember bursting into tears and telling my supervisor of the moment (they changed frequently) that I had to borrow money for groceries. This was met with stony silence. By having us work at home (this was touted as a benefit) Nuance kept its transcriptionist/editors isolated; we couldn’t join forces or discuss working conditions and we couldn’t unionize or collectively bargain. Soon after I started, they announced with great fanfare and patting themselves on the back that everyone with Nuance NTS (the transcription end of Nuance) would be getting 40 WHOLE HOURS OF PTO PER YEAR. Cue the confetti. This was PTO that had to be used for sick leave, holidays, and vacation. The crappy health insurance plan had a $2600 yearly deductible. That’s right; on an annual salary of $12K/year, I was supposed to pay the first $2.6K out of pocket before the insurance would kick in the first dime. I have been on state medical assistance and it had better benefits. I was actually offered a promotion and higher rate to work as a member of some sort of special group of MTs that worked with new accounts, but my start date kept getting pushed back, which was disappointing; I kept hoping for more work and a tiny bit more money, but it was never going to come. (They can’t control you effectively by fulfilling their promises, can they?) I had applied for another job and asked my Nuance manager if I could use her as a work reference. She agreed and stipulated she’d use her personal email address. She mentioned that Nuance never answered any employment history inquiries. Under her breath, she suggested that I not give Nuance any notice of my impending departure. If I gave them a two-week notice, her superiors would have forced her to take me off the schedule. I heard later that Nuance fired all its California-based transcriptionists because that state instituted a higher minimum wage ($10/hour) and well, Nuance’s business model is based on exploiting an underpaid workforce. (I just noticed on Nuance’s website that they no longer hire in my state, either; our state minimum wage was increased to about $10/hour, too. I ESCAPED THIS HELLHOLE JUST IN TIME.) After I resigned (escaped), I was contacted about a class action lawsuit concerning uncompensated time. I didn’t join the lawsuit because I still felt traumatized over the company's abusive, dehumanizing treatment. I was with my current employer about a year when Nuance had that big meltdown/computer virus thing where for days and days the dictation system couldn’t be accessed. Part of me was thrilled that this had happened to them, but I know that this disaster was borne on the backs of the MTs who couldn’t afford to lose even a day’s pay.

Advice to Management

I have no advice because I'm sure Nuance management has been reading these reviews and realizing with satisfaction that this business model of theirs (exploitation, greed) is working as they intended.

Nuance2019-08-10

"The ruination of Medical Transcription"

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist

I worked at Nuance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are no pros, none.

Cons

Nuance is the worst thing to happen to MTs.

Nuance2019-07-01

"Don't Work There!"

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Nuance full-time for less than a year

Pros

No pros that I can't think of. Even if you have to work at home, I'm sure you could find a better company.

Cons

They are greedy and count off for minor mistakes just to get your pay down to minimum wage. Believe me, if you don't have any mistakes, they will find some supposedly mistakes. They should be ashamed of themselves. Also, if you are a good producer, they will slow the work down and claim that they don't have any work available. Either way, a person can't make more than minimum wage.

Advice to Management

No advice to speak of, but I honestly can't see how you people can sleep at night knowing how badly you treat employees.

Nuance2019-05-12
  10. "medical transcriptionist/editor"

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist/Editor in Kodihalli

I worked at Nuance full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

commitment competition connectivity innovation growth

Cons

no growth management failure less salary no vacation

Advice to Management

Plan offering vacation

Nuance2019-02-02