Nordstrom Reviews

Updated 21 Jun 2021

Found 16,704 of over 17 k reviews

3.7
Nordstrom Co-President Erik B. Nordstrom and Peter E. Nordstrom (no image)
Erik B. Nordstrom and Peter E. Nordstrom
1,591 Ratings
Pros
  • "Best company in terms of work environment(in 745 reviews)

• "love the employee discount on merchandise(in 585 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The more you sale the more returns(in 787 reviews)

• "long hours and on my feet a lot(in 751 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee
      Featured Review

Best Place Ever

6 Oct 2020 - Beauty Concierge in Jacksonville, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work independently, able to be on your phone, relaxed, great management

Cons

There were no cons. Great people, great work.

53 people found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

A truly joyous and supportive workplace

20 Jun 2021 - Site Coordinator
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nordstrom is a truly joyous and supportive workplace. Literally everyone as a smile on their face and seem genuinely happy to be there. Management are incredible supportive, as well as transparent and inclusive.

Cons

The main drawback is it can be hard to advance your career as there are so many internal candidates fighting for the same job. It just makes you work harder to get noticed.

3. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Excellent for college students

19 May 2021 - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nordstrom is a very clean and professional environment. My department had the most amazing people! I still miss them to this day! Most young people are part-time/full-time college students due to the flexibility of scheduling. It's a great way for fashion enthusiasts to be involved in a fashion environment as you're encouraged to put your styling skills and knowledge to the test!

Cons

If you work as a sales associate, the work is commission-based. In reality, it is very difficult to make a huge difference between commission and hourly unless you're killing yourself by working longer hours and working every day. For college students with a little more experience in sales, working part-time for three days a week (weekends) is enough to bring in $1200-$2000/month, which is not terribly less than full-time during off-seasons as weekdays are often slow. However, working the Christmas season is GREAT and I highly recommend being full-time for that! Also, please be aware that this is a much smaller Nordstrom than its other stores in larger cities. There is no designer section (gucci, valentinos, etc) here, so the vast majority of designer items must be ordered for customers. There is also a very limited selection of shoes and accessories/handbags. This makes a pretty huge difference to pay compared to larger Nordstroms. Be prepared to get good at talking customers into ordering online with you.

4. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Stagnant culture, no room for advancement

21 Jun 2021 - Designer Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Not really many pro's, the discount is mediocre considering their customers are literally abusive. 20% for customer service specialist, 33% for management. Your schedule is pretty consistent for the most part, and you will be required to work one weekend day.

Cons

No room from advancement, and you will have to lick boots just to get a $1.00 raise annually. Customer satisfaction rates play a huge part in your advancement but ultimately it is all about who you know in this company. No longer promote from within, they will hire someone else and bring them on over their tenured employees. Don't be me, I wasted 3 years of my life being awarded and recognized for achievements and exceling but never got promoted. I also have zero transferable skills, and no one will hire me unless I start from the ground up.

5. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Bittersweet

31 May 2021 - Department Manager in Miami, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

There was a lot of room for advancement in the beginning. Company has a great deal of prestige. Opportunity to move with company is a amazing. Nordstrom family very involved in company, met several if them in person. Live their philosophy of on customer service. Love the people and customers I got to work with. Great benefits for Managers. Grew quite a bit as Manager

Cons

They started to make responsibilities each year and Managers were losing their jobs each year. The jobs, responsibilities and work loads were getting bigger each year. The way the Managers were treated at those times was not very fair. Also if you have issues be with upper Management you are not heard and they definitely stick together. If you work as a Manager, definitely take detailed notes of their treatment of you. It is kind of us against you environment

6. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Pretty relaxed

4 Jun 2021 - Sales Associate in Natick, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Contrary to popular belief the customers at nordstrom at least on the east coast are really understanding Co workers are helpful and friendly You get your discount at the ebar and at the restaurant in ALL locations

Cons

You work on commission Employees and coworkers can be sharky so stay defensive and on your toes Some managers are really relaxed which is great but they don't stand up to the sharky employees and get walked on Nordstrom is all about the customer is right which is great but sometimes its annoying and the employees will simp for customers to the point its degrading.

7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good place to work if you're on the right team

18 Jun 2021 - Software Engineer II in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

They will use new tool and technologies to achieve results. Often you'll have great coworkers. Pay is pretty good.

Cons

Management sometime doesn't know what to do with their talented staff. Initiatives are often created then understaffed when new projects arrive. eg. They buy a fancy tool, implement the system, then disband the team. Two years later the system is a disaster. Lots of turnover in the IT staff.

8. 3.0

Work Like a Dog

10 Jun 2021 - Department Manager in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good company, good benefits. It is a fantastic place to start out if you are interested in Retail or Fashion long term, as you will learn a ton & get great on the ground training, & it the company has a reputable name. I don't think there's a better place to LEARN, & then you can take those easily transferred skills & apply them to other jobs.

Cons

You will work like a dog-- it's a never ending cycle. With all the sales they do & all the visits that you have to entertain from your boss(es), be prepared to always be "on". The hours are long & make sure you have time to actually sell & not just manage, or else your compensation will take a serious hit! One I eventually got out I realized that I could be compensated MORE & receive much better work/life balance elsewhere, with less hours spent & less day to day stress.

9. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Treatment of employees during the pandemic was awful

21 Jun 2021 - Warehouse Associate in Elizabethtown, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The entry level starting pay. Annual increases to account for inflation. Easy hiring process. HSA, 401(k) (even though your investments are very strangely managed by nordstrom itself and not a 3rd party, my returns have been good nonetheless)

Cons

Having to contact the CEO and other high ranking entities at corporate to get a basic level of preventative measures established, many of which I suggested, which is above my pay grade. Many got sick throughout the pandemic because of their extremely slim policies early on and lack of care, while they simultaneously held back to back sales to rally in purchases of non essential goods from people staying at home. They completely exploited the poorly implemented "life sustaining business" rules and should have been shut down but instead continued to operate. Nordstrom sells absolutely nothing life sustaining during a pandemic. Managers being notified that people are coming in with symptoms and replying nonchalantly to the person that's actively sick: "Well, I won't make you go home but you should get that checked out." Huddling at the sign-in computers throughout the pandemic but spaced out break room tables show an incompetent attempt by people not qualified to adapt the company to the situation. Very lackluster "clean ups" after each discovery of infected employees, completely lied about keeping people out of the building after such events and paying them in their absence. Instead we got a handful of hours tacked onto our PTO to use and that was it (as of my experience in 2020) Work/life balance is abysmal during the holiday season and anniversary sale and random sales they have all the time. Have ongoing medical problems because of the hours cutting into my life and sleep and physical injuries from excessive standing and repetitive motion. It's a chore to get trainers and management to even make improvements to the workspace/process. The most basic requests will take half a year or more, and they don't care about making your job function smarter or easier, they'll leave you to suffer with the issues for years. Many coworkers I talked to wouldn't even bother wasting their breath because they knew. I'd imagine the rollers at the putwall buffer inbound/outbound are still falling apart, making life miserable for people working an already physically demanding position, and it's not like Nordstrom wouldn't benefit from fixing things. Production rates would increase if they'd actually invest money into permanently fixing the problems instead of having maintenance temporarily bandage everything. Just listen for the metallic pounding as people try to get totes to travel over broken rollers; they get stuck all the time in packing. There's a total lack of synergy and teamwork between trainers and management for each section of the process, which creates problems down the production line for employees caused by employees handling an earlier process. Knowing the jobs and making constructive suggestions on how to definitively solve the issues gets you nowhere, you'll continue to face the same irritating, easily preventable issues caused by employees upstream that don't care, for years. Becoming a trainer is a pitfall and those less in the know think it's their "way up" not realizing the blame and responsibility put on their shoulders and the dismal pay increase not making it worth it. Many back out later only to find that they've opened a can of worms and get the same responsibilities placed on them after the fact anyway. In the end you've just made your own job harder and more miserable. There's more but this is just off the top of my head. Take the job for the pay, don't sacrifice your body or life for these people and have plans in place to make your money and leave, you're expendable to them anyway and their work/life balance will take a toll on your health. I'm pretty sure they violate OSHA rules to some degree as well.

10. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Nice Work Environment

21 Jun 2021 - Emerging Stylist in Walnut Creek, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone was very welcoming and was always more than available to help. Great work culture overall.

Cons

Lots of pressure when coming to Nordstrom Anniversary Sale.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 16,704 Reviews