NCSA Next College Student Athlete Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Updated 8 Jan 2020

3.8
NCSA Next College Student Athlete President and COO Lisa Strasman
Lisa Strasman
Pros
  • "Can work from home if you consistently hit numbers(in 52 reviews)

• "It was very rewarding to help Student/Athletes and families prepare for a very exciting time in their lives(in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • "I believe the work/life balance has improved since my time(in 47 reviews)

• "When I took my job as a 'Head Scout' at this company I could not have been more excited(in 22 reviews)

"Rewarding work and fun company."

Former Employee - Recruiting Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is a remote position. It was very rewarding to help Student/Athletes and families prepare for a very exciting time in their lives. NCSA's product lets you really be a consultant instead of a salesman. Many families contact NCSA for help and are already somewhat informed.

Cons

I believe the work/life balance has improved since my time. But, for years, we had no PTO and literally never took a day off. An extremely competitive environment led me to work every single day for over a year. M-F, saturdays, sundays etc. Literally 365. I believe this has improved, but I worry they don't care about employee turnover.

NCSA Next College Student Athlete2020-01-08

"Changes always for the better!"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiting Coordinator & Mentor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Lots of flexibility on hours if you get your job done have tenure. -Laid back dress code, jeans are allowed on a daily basis. -Good amount of free food. -Can work from home if you consistently hit numbers. -Changes are made for the better based on employee feedback -Always good people working here that are like minded with former sports backgrounds. -The pay is good and gets better every year, takes time to work your way up commission scales and to hit your stride but once you do, you make more year over year. -Product is unmatched for recruiting services. -Really strong leadership at the top that makes changes for the better and lead by example. -Everyone received raises this year and some even bigger ones based on performance. -Always tons of resources to utilize to get more skilled and better at the RC role. -Culture legitimately feels like a winning locker room and there is little to no negativity which provides a winning team! -The competitive environment in the sales department creates a great atmosphere on a daily basis.

Cons

-Not a downside for me personally, but new people the learning curve is different for everyone, some people take off instantly, some it takes a little longer to hit their stride. -The phone system has issues a decent amount, not extended periods of time but just have to be patient sometimes. -Other than the few things I mentioned above it is a incredible place to work if you are a hard worker and listen to coaching the rest takes care of itself.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employees and making the right changes and this place could become an even bigger force to be reckon with.

NCSA Next College Student Athlete2019-12-26

"Pretty decent some holes"

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time

Pros

The company seems to listen and care, the pay is decent for being entry level. They also just gave a $5k base raise for 2020 so that's cool. Their is also a huge potential upside for comish. I could see myself getting good enough to make some dece' bank. The salesforce set up has alot of automation but also some annoying manual processes. Overall if you have a pulse and try you can probably succeed or at least coast here. *They are planning to implement a new salesforce UI in 2020. I will update the review when that happens*

Cons

The leads on the training team are kind of trash. Feel like I need to pick leads from the more senior folks to succeed. The goals seem like I have to work weekends 6 days a week to hit the targets. Haven't seen a saturday off in forever even tho the company claims it's "Not mandatory". They exert alot of pressure on you to work weekends. They are ethical and pay you ot for working the weekend though. They also have alot of pointless training and meetings that seem more like a chore than value. But what major corp doesn't have those meetings? They also have some weird propaganda stuff on the "Core" values. You can't change your desktop background from the 7 "Core" values. They also want you to wear flair buttons on your lanyard. They require you to wear your lanyard at all times while in the office. They call it a "Jersey".

Advice to Management

Be more conscious of what you are asking of people. Maybe i'm just a debby downer but I don't like the litmos training (Online training portal). It feels like a "Do this or else" kinda thing. Humans can't really internalize more than 3 values. You guys might wanna find the 3 most important ones and put the others as just "Values". Also consider having less meetings or make the meetings less mandatory.

NCSA Next College Student Athlete2019-12-05

"Love This Company and What We Do!"

Current Employee - Head Recruiting Coach

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for less than a year

Pros

Remote, flexibility, well-qualified peers (work side by side with so many former high level coaches and athletes), making a difference and having an impact on people's lives. Everyone in this company genuinely cares about helping kids find the right fit school. The bottomline is always brought to the forefront so that business side of things doesn't ever let us lose track of the ultimate goal and mission!

Cons

some weekend hours, some late nights, a lot of work to balance

NCSA Next College Student Athlete2019-11-09

"Opportunity to help others"

Current Employee - Director of Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, great product and guiding, helping and educating families

Cons

work, life balance seems to be out of whack.

NCSA Next College Student Athlete2019-11-06
  6. "Solid Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiting Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great colleagues/people to work around, even if they aren't particularly good at their jobs -In theory, and in a lot of cases, (definitely not all) practice, NCSA has a worth while mission -Work from home if necessary -Not necessarily true "management", but the individuals in your role who are your senior and have had success will truly do what they can to help you become better at your role -Upper management does listen to your suggestions/advice and do seem to take those seriously

Cons

-Calling people who don't want help over and over because they did something like check their email -While 99% of student athletes across the world CAN benefit to a certain extent, at minimum 1/3 of the kids we work with couldn't play dead much less their sport at a college level -SRCs certainly play a part, but at the end of the day, do not have full autonomy over our sales -Biggest one, 2/3 of meetings seem useless. It's a sales job, you shouldn't get a sales job if you do not know the importance of the tone of your voice. I don't need 30 minutes to be told that -for being a tech company, the systems/phones seem to break down a lot...

Advice to Management

While we're constantly hiring because of consistent turnover, be more selective in hiring process. Better people can be using leads and enrolling clients then when incompetent individuals are assigned to them

NCSA Next College Student Athlete2019-11-07

"Best Job ever!!!!"

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Family environment, helping, and really wants everyone to be successful.

Cons

Having to clock out and go home at the end of the day lol.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

NCSA Next College Student Athlete2019-10-31

"Best Job I've Ever Had"

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Chicago, IL

Pros

I truly cannot say enough good things about NCSA. The team, the mission, the leadership - all are truly outstanding. I've never worked anywhere that appreciates their employees as much as NCSA. If you work hard, you WILL be recognized. Leadership makes a conscious effort to maintain transparency throughout the company, which is evident in the monthly all-team Huddles. The company culture is rooted in NCSA's core values, which can be seen in everything NCSA does. I'm incredibly proud to work for a company with such a strong give-back mission. I feel very fortunate to be a part of this company.

Cons

Inevitably, there are challenges that come with a company's fast growth. I know NCSA is working to maintain the same tight-knit culture, supportive atmosphere and personal relationships that it had back when it started, and I trust that will continue for many years to come.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

NCSA Next College Student Athlete2019-10-21

"Fast growing company with great mission and opportunity"

Current Employee - Vice President Marketing in Chicago, IL

Pros

* People top to bottom the people who work here believe in the mission and care deeply * We do important work that makes a direct positive impact on people's lives * There is so much to do, if you have a solid plan and drive there is opportunity grow

Cons

This is a company has experienced a lot of growth and it has been difficult to maintain the same performance in every department. We can do a better job communicating that change and what to expect moving forward.

NCSA Next College Student Athlete2019-10-14

"Great place to work."

Current Employee - Coach Relations Coordinator

Pros

The people here are beyond incredible. From top to bottom, management cares about your personal growth and development, everyone here is incredibly supportive, this is the best atmosphere I have ever experienced before. And I work remote so what is not to like about that! Also very flexible. Work hours in certain roles can be demanding, but you know what you sign up for. I will constantly recommend NCSA to friends if they are looking for a place of employment.

Cons

We can always use a bigger salary, but if that is the only thing I can complain about then...

Advice to Management

keep it up. make sure you are constantly caring about your employees because that is what makes this place so great to work. Continue to be flexible with people, and just keep doing a great job.

NCSA Next College Student Athlete2019-10-17