Myplanet Reviews

Updated 25 Jun 2020

4.6
Myplanet Founder and CEO Jason Cottrell (no image)
Jason Cottrell
Pros
  • "Work life balance (Really understand that employees have life outside work)(in 11 reviews)

• "Supportive leadership team and are focused 100% on the success of the business(in 10 reviews)

1. "Great"

Current Employee - Product Strategist in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Myplanet full-time for less than a year

Pros

Extremely professional with none of the usual corporate bureaucracy. They actually respect inclusiveness and diversity, it's not just lip service here. Flexible time to attend to family needs. Projects have real impact. Work is done collaboratively, not in silos.

Cons

Sporadic time off projects makes it hard to plan time between self improvement and work on the next project.

Continue reading
  2. "An employee focused company with a great design and bucapabilities"

Current Employee - Accounts in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Myplanet full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Focused on building platforms that last, not just delivering projects - Working culture is great - Supportive leadership team and are focused 100% on the success of the business

Cons

- There are areas to improve but they are open about the plan in how we get there

"Interesting place!"

4.0
    Current Employee - Lead in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Myplanet full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great office and location - Not what you would expect of an agency. They lead with a lot of integrity and put the people first - Interesting work - Engaged employees - Fun environment - Fast paced - Office dogs!

Cons

- Overall the people are great but there are some employees with a lot of influence... or maybe they’re just loud... who are very exclusive. If you don’t agree with them they are passive aggressive and will slowly ice you out. It can be demotivating since they plan the company events and social activities. I know it’s not just me who feels this way. It’s like high school all over again if you are in the thick of it - Very reactive approach overall but lots of smart people so the two balance eachother out - Employees skew a bit younger so there is a sense of entitlement but leadership manages this well

May 11, 2020Director, Culture

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review. It’s great to hear all of the positive things you are enjoying about Myplanet. Your fellow Myplaneteers and the work environment are no doubt an integral part of this. We work best together when we collaborate, bringing a mix of ideas, experiences, and perspectives to the table, so I’m sorry to hear you are experiencing a lack of inclusion. I encourage you to speak to your leader, HR or myself on this topic - we are all here to help and I truly believe we can solve this. Also, we are looking at fine-tuning some of our processes right now so your feedback on the PGs is something we can look into. Thanks again for the review and for being so open.

"Good company, suffering from growing"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Myplanet full-time

Pros

- Work from home policy - Smart people The option to work from home is one of the best perks the company offer. Overall everybody is very friendly and you can learn a lot of things.

Cons

- Crowded office - You need to show off in order to be promoted - Management not entirely honest with some people The office is constantly crowded, all meeting rooms are occupied and sometimes the noise is really distracting. People who show off more get praised more by management. Even if you're doing the same job (or more relevant) than some people, chances are the extroverts have greater chance to be promoted. Sometimes the management says things that are not entirely true to employees. It looks like the company is always afraid of being sued and does not say things objectively. This has lead people to distrust some leaders.

March 3, 2020Director, Culture

Thanks for writing this! It’s great to hear that you’re enjoying the people and our work from home flexibility. We try to remain as flexible as possible to meet employees needs, especially because you're right: the expanding team and work has led to some “growing pains” around the Toronto office. In case you didn't know, we've secured additional space on a separate floor but some issues that were out of our control delayed the availability of that space for longer than we'd hoped for. The good news is, it's almost ready! And once it is, we'll be able to move into phase 2 of our renovations, where we'll be creating new meeting room spaces that should, alongside the noise cancelling headphone subsidy for delivery team members, help alleviate some of the challenges we know folks have been facing on that front. Around your other points, we take a lot of pride in an employee's performance and professional development so we are sorry to hear you're feeling this way. Our goal is for all Myplaneteers to be acknowledged for their hard work. We also hold integrity and transparency in the highest regard. What you’ve outlined has me concerned so if you are open to it, I would like nothing more than to hear you out and gather your feedback. You can also talk to Human Resources, or use one of our anonymous channels, if you feel more comfortable doing so. I encourage you to leverage one of these options as there is always opportunity for improvement in any organization and we want our team to share a vision of how to do that.

5. "Great co-workers and awesome vibe, even for remote workers"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Myplanet full-time for less than a year

Pros

As a remote worker, getting seen/heard can be tricky. However, I've met more people in different departments here in the last 6 months than I did in 7 years in a previous job. Everyone I've met is easy to talk to and understand the communication issues of remote life. I work with smart people that are quick to help and explain things when necessary, all without judgement. The company is socially and community conscious and have a great startup-like culture. There are numerous gatherings, both for employees as well as for external groups, which are open to remote workers too. The on-boarding experience was intensive, but so good, by far the best I've ever experienced. You get to meet a wide range of folks from different departments, which helps later on when you end up working with them. Very quickly after starting to work for Myplanet, I felt like I was an integral part of the company and received positive feedback for things my team had done. That is huge.

Cons

I've only managed to get to the office once...so far :)

February 18, 2020Brand and Content Manager

We love hearing you've had such a positive experience so far! Come on out again soon— there's more people for you to meet :D

6. "Great place to fully use your development skills"

Current Employee - Software Developer
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Myplanet full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of career opportunities, all the while learning the ropes of development and the process behind it. If you are looking for ways to sharpen your development skills, this is a place to be.

Cons

At times, projects seem incompletely defined which might put more pressure on the development teams.

7. "Great working environment, great people and tons of benefits!"

Current Employee - Event & Advocate Marketing Coordinator in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Myplanet full-time for less than a year

Pros

- people are fantastic - you have the freedom to work in the environment that best suits you - incredible benefits - workplace activities which encourages interaction and collaboration with colleagues - CEO is transparent with the company and the future. Can ask questions in an anonymous method with respectible and honest answers. CEO wants to listen to new ideas and promote this transparent attitude (cares about all employees)

Cons

- you are responsible for your own work, no one is going to babysit you (doesn't work for all) - there is a lot to learn at first - you must be willing to take initiative in learning what you need to know and how the company works to succeed

August 20, 2019Content & Community Strategy

We're so glad you called out being responsible for your own work and the need to take initiative to tackle your own learning, because that's such a key element to how we do business. Of course every team member should know they can rely on each other to help out when needed and feel comfortable asking question— we never want anyone to feel they can't turn to someone for advice or assistance. But ultimately we really do believe in autonomy over activities and accountability over outcomes (we've even written about on our blog: https://medium.com/myplanet-musings/autonomy-for-activities-accountability-over-outcomes-fa4b5e7d159b). That means there is a lot of opportunity to forge one's own path, but also that it's up to the individual to do so. It's something that has worked well for us through the years and suits our lean, agile work style, but it's not always an easy thing to adapt to for folks, especially if they're not used to it. Definitely in those first few weeks it can feel overwhelming, but hopefully you've settled into things now and are feeling more comfortable charting your own course (and if not, please don't hesitate to reach out to colleagues— we're better when we work together to solve problems!).

8. "Truly A Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Myplanet full-time for less than a year

Pros

-the people -the office -the office dogs -the atmosphere -the work is super interesting Generally, I feel that the leadership and the CEO truly care about the people that work with them and for them. It is a people first organization and it is a pleasant place to spend your day.

Cons

-I can't think of any to be honest -There aren't that many healthy food places around the office to eat at

December 12, 2019Content & Community Strategy

Wonderful to hear you're having such a positive experience! Not sure how we can help with the healthy food option shortage in the neighbourhood, but we'll do what we can... (Petition the neighbourhood business association, perhaps? For now hopefully you'll accept the always full fruit bowl and endless supply of granola bars as a temporary salve!)

9. "Great place to work and explore more with fun !!!!"

Current Employee - Software Developer In Test

I have been working at Myplanet full-time for less than a year

Pros

The best thing is the work culture. It doesn't matter what limitations one has, team will figure out the way to solve and encourage each other. Management knows the importance of work life balance.

Cons

Self learning and exploring things feels overwhelming sometimes because of limited resources but negligible if, you are enthusiastic to figure out the ways on your own and educate others

10. "Nimble, innovative, a people-first organization"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Myplanet full-time for less than a year

Pros

Truly values candidness and feedback, constant introspective thinking at the organization-level to strive to become a better company, collective sense of belonging and shared purpose among employees

Cons

Nothing negative keeping me up at night!

August 20, 2019Content & Community Strategy

"Nothing negative keeping me up at night!" Well that's a relief! We'd hate to be the cause of lost sleep. But kidding aside, it's great to hear you've had such a positive start to your time at Myplanet. We'll keep working to keep those channels of communication open so that if ever you do feel you've got something worth losing sleep over, you'll know you can share it with the team and we can work to solve it instead of the lying-awake-at-night alternative.

Found 79 reviews