MongoDB Employee Reviews about "mongodb"

Updated 11 Jan 2021

Found 120 of over 670 reviews

4.5
MongoDB CEO Dev Ittycheria
Dev Ittycheria
Pros
  • "Highly recommend working at MongoDB(in 102 reviews)

• "Work/Life Balance: MongoDB treats its employees better than any other company I have worked for in the past(in 47 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The are no downsides to working at MongoDB(in 35 reviews)

• "Work life balance is hard to guarantee(in 25 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "mongodb"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Growth Company Provides Unlimited Opportunities

11 Aug 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

MongoDB is a growth company (and only getting started) which provides amazing opportunities to those who perform. There are no internal politics that are so evident in other companies

Cons

Requires you to put in the work (but you are rewarded for it)

Continue reading
      Be the first to find this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

MongoDB Lives Its Values

7 Aug 2020 - Senior Regional Workplace Manager in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

- At MongoDB, values are not just nice words framed on the wall. The interview process is long but it ensures the people hired embody our values and actively add to our culture that we make every effort to protect as we scale - Our growth means life moves at a fast pace. Work hard, play hard comes to mind and if you are someone who has a strong work ethic, is proactive, flexible, and has scalability at the forefront of your mind, there are many learning and growth opportunities at MongoDB - You are not just a number or a cog in the wheel! Every person has the ability to contribute meaningfully - The company genuinely embraces work flexibility and work-life balance. Management leads by example

Cons

- All good things! We are in the awkward teenage years though and so processes, policies, etc., aren't always fully baked, but it is exciting as you feel you are helping lay the foundations for success in the years to come

1 person found this review helpful
    3. 5.0

Worklife at MongoDB - 10/10

15 Jul 2020 - Customer Success Specialist in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working at MongoDB is fantastic. The inclusive and innovative company culture is driven by each and every individual in the company. From the interview process onwards, every step of the way has been planned out professionally. Chances for development and growth are numerous, and it truly is a pleasure to work for and to have become a part of the MongoDB family.

Cons

The are no downsides to working at MongoDB.

1 person found this review helpful
    4. 5.0

Corporate Account Executive

16 Jul 2019 - Corporate Account Executive in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

MongoDB is the best place to be right now. The business is growing scary fast, while the company has over 1500 employees, it's small enough that you get real interactions with SVPs and C-level executives. Things move fast here. Sales people can make great money. MongoDB invests a ton on their professionals, one full month of training to get you up to speed, including a week workshop in NYC. Leaders and managers are helpful and present.

Cons

There are no cons of working at MongoDB.

2 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0

Best place for a Software Engineer

1 May 2019 - Software Engineer in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

MongoDB has a great work culture and show a lot of transparency. Almost all of the directors or VPs on the Engineers side has a strong programming background. So the management is very Engineering friendly. A project is not considered done until all the tech-debt around it is cleared. Everyone around you are very helpful. The environment is very stress free with lot of fun clubs and activities going on.

Cons

Depending on your work location, with the amount of rapid hiring, workspace around you could get a bit congested.

6. 5.0

Fast-paced environment, Opportunity for growth

3 Mar 2017 - Financial Ops Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

Company that really lives the culture that it espouses. Flexible, friendly work environment with every day new and interesting challenges are faced. This is a company where you are constantly learning. MongoDB is passionate about supporting its employees and personal/professional development. Transparent management and a non-hierarchical structure - everyone is approachable and intellectually honest (one of the company's core values). Oh and all of course all of the free snacks, lunches and opportunity to travel.

Cons

Very little honestly - perhaps the fact that since this is a very global company it can be hard to sync up with people in different time-zones, but this isn't MongoDB's fault!

7. 3.0
      Former Employee

Double edged business model and harrowing sales culture

16 Sep 2016 - Corporate Account Executive in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent sales training and methodology. You learn processes that will help you in any sales job for the rest of your career. Perks are nice (subsidised meals twice a week, etc) and the location is great. As a team we all got on well and that's really important in a small office. Interactions with other offices were always professional, fun and productive. The technology is really key in today's business, and the company is working very hard to take a turn and move to a profitable business model (as opposed to a free open source model that stands in the way).

Cons

The company decided to start with an open source model but to the extent that everything was free, and even the enterprise version was not gated in any way. When the time came to boost sales and deploy teams across various geos, we came across very strong adoption but absolutely no incentive to pay a single cent to MongoDB, be it a carrot approach or a stick approach. We ended up closing certain deals purely on price. The sales team moved from inside sales / field sale to a revenue tier system. In the ESMB / MM corporate sales space, adoption was high (they're agile organisations) but sales were often quite low (why pay when the free version, free training and free support cover all your needs). Enterprise reps could get more traction with features or compliance reasons. It's not to say there's no way to close really nice deals in both corporate and enterprise sales, but walk in there with your eyes open on how you're going to reach your number. The sales culture is very regimented but that didn't bother me: you get trained extremely well, everyone is aligned with the same process, there are excellent sales tools that are very well implemented. What happens next depends on your manager, how experienced they are and how they execute on the company motto of "sell big or go home". Not closing enough business for two months in a row can get you in a PIP. Not making your number for 3 quarters in a row means no promotion and your annual attainment doesn't come into play.There's a lot of micromanagement around activities and hours and behaviour instead of encouraging brainstorming sessions or war rooms on deals. If you're lucky enough to click with your manager, you'll be fine. If not, you may have a hard time. There's very little to no space for slackers and it's both normal and a good thing. Some managers take it to the next level however and will come down on you like a ton of bricks because their notion of what's not okay is very different from yours!

17 people found this review helpful
    8. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Avoid the Best Mates Club toxic culture

23 Sep 2020 - EAE in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Other companies will poach you because MongoDB has a rocketship reputation

Cons

Business runs on existing accounts. Almost no new customers because there isn't much of a market for this product. Therefore it is impossible to hit your target unless you are given juicy accounts from Day 1. That's not going to happen because they hire twice as many reps as they need, so the best accounts are held by the people in the Best Mates Club. Very easy to see how a small number of people are not allowed to fail and the rest are not allowed to succeed. Most people leave after one year, so your job is actually just to generate leads for the ones who stick around and are therefore in the Best Mates Club. See the recent court case from a rep at AppDynamics to understand how it works. Same culture. If any of your accounts have a sniff of an opportunity in them, it will be taken from you and given to one of the BMC team. The worst part is watching the amateur hour management team try to pull the wool over everyone's eyes by pretending the problem sits with the reps not doing a good enough job at building pipeline. For the first few months, you'll think you are the problem. Then you get angry that you've been conned into taking the job. By the end, you are so resigned to how bad it is, you just want to clock up a respectable amount of time in role before finding salvation in working with good people selling a good product that people actually want to buy.

25 people found this review helpful

MongoDB Response

Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback; we respect your concerns and take them seriously. Our goal is to ensure everyone has a positive experience at MongoDB. Our sales process is constantly evolving and refined based on years of research and data, and has proven to deliver consistent success. However, we also acknowledge this does require consistent hard work to master, especially in your first year at MongoDB. To help, we offer a very detailed onboarding program for all new hires and our Sales team fosters excellence by providing ongoing industry-leading coaching, development, and enablement. Our ratio of sales reps and managers is designed to best support our employees on all aspects of the sales cycle. We established this model to ensure that our managers can devote the necessary time to train and coach each Enterprise Account Executive so that they can continue to grow and develop their careers. Regarding accounts, after onboarding each Enterprise Account Executive is given a set of 15 accounts, consisting of both existing customers and new prospects. Managers devote significant time to territory planning, including reallocating accounts as needed to ensure all reps have an equitable opportunity to find success in their patch. Additionally, we have a dedicated team within MongoDB that looks after Territory Management and Account Mapping. We encourage all our employees (current and former) to raise concerns and share feedback. If you would be open to sharing more, please get in touch with our Employer Brand Manager, Jess Katz, at jess.katz@mongodb.com or your dedicated People Partner.

9. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing financial opportunity, at a cost

24 Jun 2020 - Enterprise Account Executive
      Business Outlook

Pros

MongoDB has the right market, the right technology, and the right Executive management to continue aggressive growth in one of the largest markets in enterprise technology. The opportunity to build a financial future here with the comp plan and equity structure (even as a public company) is unparalleled. Tops reps are paid well, no penalty in future years quota for overachieving etc. Executive management is top notch.

Cons

Expect 10-14 hour days, five days a week with the expectation that to be successful you'll probably need to work on the weekends too. Force management "command of the message" is a religion, not a guide. Tone deaf of any real culture, lack of diversity amongst sales teams (predominantly white male). AE's are expected to manage like enterprise account executives, but are managed at times like SDRs (call blitz, prep your list of 100 names, who are you going to call and why, track every meeting, etc). Process works, but at what cost? Most reps <12 months here will agree this is the most demanding job they've ever had in sales, and even if financially successful, at what cost to work/life balance & mental health? Not sure how any family oriented rep (especially female) could build a career here with expectations and many single/non family oriented males in sales leadership.

21 people found this review helpful

MongoDB Response

Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback; we appreciate the positives that you have highlighted and also respect your concerns and take them seriously. While we do have high expectations of all of our employees, we also actively encourage a work/life balance and establishing a clear operating rhythm that supports both. The sales culture is meritocratic and focused on growth. We have a robust sales process which is based on years of research and data and has proven to deliver consistent success. However, we also acknowledge that this does require consistent hard work to master, especially in your first year at MongoDB. We also remain highly committed to developing and progressing all of our employees' careers and we reward achievement through both commission and equity (as well as competitive base salary). We believe it is very important to us to maintain an environment where all employees feel a sense of belonging, always. We recognize the importance of our employees’ mental health and wellbeing and offer mental health programs to our employees where they can receive confidential assistance from qualified professionals. These include WorkLifeMatters, Spring Health, and Headspace, to name a few. Further, MongoDB is committed to Diversity & Inclusion to build a culture of inclusion that embraces and values differences, freeing the genius within our employees, customers, users and communities. Earlier this year, we set a company objective to increase representation, particularly at the leadership level. In addition, we recently launched our company-wide DI strategy focused on 4 pillars: People, Culture, Customers/Users and Community; and we launched Decoding Inclusion, an educational series aimed at building community and raising awareness of differences. In addition, we continue to ramp our diversity recruiting work to access talent from underrepresented communities through new external strategic partnerships. We encourage you and all current employees to reach out to their respective People Partner or anyone in their chain of communication to raise concerns and talk through issues to ensure everyone is working in an environment in which they feel safe and can thrive. If you would be open to sharing more, please get in touch with your People Partner or send an email to jess.katz@mongodb.com.

10. 5.0

Happier here than the past 10yrs of jobs

19 Aug 2020 - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

+ Work/Life Balance: MongoDB treats its employees better than any other company I have worked for in the past. The workload is reasonable and there is an unlimited vacation policy. + No on-call: Depending on your team/role, there is no pagers duty and relatively low operations. I'm only asked to help when there are high priority production issues. The rest of the time I work on sprint work. + RSUs & Stock Purchase Program: The company stock has been doing well since IPO, many employees are well compensated past their starting comp. The company runs an employee stock purchase program 2x per year where you can make some money by reinvesting your paycheck (with some risk). + Specific purpose & product lines: MongoDB focuses on database products. We are all focused on it. Compared to other companies that "do everything", all employees are able to focus our energy on what matters.

Cons

- Overall compensation is lower than competition for software engineering compared to FAANG companies. It means that if you care about the money, you go and work yourself much harder at another company. Or you make less at MongoDB but enjoy life & the work. -

Viewing 1 - 10 of 120 Reviews