Microsoft "smart people" Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Microsoft Employee Reviews about "smart people"

Updated 14 Jan 2020

4.2
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella
Satya Nadella
10,861 Ratings
Cons

Reviews about "smart people"

Return to all Reviews

"Great company but challenging hours"

Current Employee - Finance in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great culture, smart people, lots of opportunity

Cons

Global hours - the day can stretch to try to connect with your colleagues around the world

Microsoft2019-02-23

"Amazing culture revolution"

Former Employee - Senior IPE Lead in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working with smart people on innovative projects

Cons

Hierarchical org behavior, difficult to influence properly when outside Redmond

Microsoft2019-06-03
  3. "Microsoft"

I worked at Microsoft full-time

Pros

You'll be surrounded by smart people and you'll work on the edge of the technology. If you're willing to move to Seattle, this is one of the greatest companies to work for.

Cons

Many decisions still are done in Redmond and your career will plateau quickly outside of Redmond. I also couldn't chose the right tool for the job at any given time because there were always a MS technology we were supposed to use. The latter is changing I'm being told by friends.

Advice to Management

You're missing out great talent by trying to have everybody in Redmond.

Microsoft2018-11-28
  4. "Solid company"

Software Engineer in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Microsoft for less than a year

Pros

Good learning environment, Smart people

Cons

None that I can think of

Microsoft2018-10-17

"If you aren't a TSP for Inside Sales it might be a good place"

Current Employee - Technical Solutions Professional in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Culture: You are open to doing hundreds of activities of outside work -People: You can meet smart people and be a nerd as much as you want -Food: Free drinks and fruit -Brand: Microsoft and Microsoft Cloud are very strong and I would definitely invest in it

Cons

-Unfair: People with the same experience and/or the same nationality are not treated equally. Every manager is not aligned with each other. As an example (of hundreds): some managers allow some remote working while others not. -Salary: They are rude about your performance, they really don't care if you perform well or not. Some people with less experience are paid much higher. Some really good people that are here since almost two years are still less paid than new hires (because they have realized that the salary was too low compared to the market, but they don't want to fix the situation for the old employees.) -Disrespectful: By paper and in theory, as a TSP you should be one of the most valuable people in sales. You can architect, design and solve technical problems. Nurture the customer with your knowledge, make him happy showing how magical is the cloud. Unfortunately, nothing about this happens. Not only you are the one who is less paid, (but everybody is looking for your help), but also they don't allow you to work properly. You are assigned tasks that go against the client and against your duties, some even against the duties of your colleagues. Everybody here has personal KPIs, metrics, and targets. You as a TSP not. If you perform very well or very poor it would not make any difference in your salary. The few KPIs that are assigned to you are made by people who don't understand what is your job and how you can do it. (For example, they pretend that you have a very high Social Selling Index on LinkedIn, impossible as we don't perform any management activity with accounts). Do you want to deliver an excellent presentation in person for a really good opportunity? Some managers allow this while others not. You have told them a lot of times that there are a lot of problems here. We have done surveys, hundreds of meetings, and a lot of official communication but they pretend each time that they are not aware of the situation and they will "fix" this asap. After two years nothing changed. -Career: There isn't any career development plan after two years. Everybody here has an opportunity to grow (example: ISR to AE to Manager). You don't have and they don't think about it. Do you want to apply outside Inside Sales? Better not tell him that you work in this department, otherwise, they will not even look at you as they are fully aware of the situation here and the number of unnecessary people that work in this department. -Training: We have really good people at Microsoft that could teach us the technology behind this company. But no. Training is provided by colleagues that got expertise from other colleagues and so on, all of them from Inside Sales. It is a recycle of old knowledge.

Advice to Management

Please, and I repeat please listen to us. A lot of people are leaving because of this situation and you still won't even to try to fix things. I am feeling ashamed to work for Inside Sales as TSP. Make me doing MY JOB (and not the job of others), RESPECT ME and avoid to do hundreds of useless meetings that explain exactly the same thing each time. Stop rewards people because they are "good looking", give us personal metrics, fix the unfairness of salary among TSP, give us good training as it would be a good investment during our calls, give us a career development plan, and focus on your people. Or soon you will have to hire a lot of people again. And most important: Stop having a closed mindset. We are working for Microsoft, not Inside Sales. Do not close people inside this department.

Microsoft2018-09-11

"Bad work life balance"

Former Employee - Exchange in Sandyford
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very competitive salary - above industry standard - very smart people

Cons

poor work life balance - abominably early start for 24/7 coverage at 6am - for 10 hour shift - 4 days on - 3 days off - suits a single lifestyle or someone with no kids... very high pressure - culture of being afraid to ask any questions (in case not being seen as super technical) which breeds somewhat of a culture of nervousness - loads of managers in hierarchical format - each covering his own behind and kissing the guy up the chains behind as well - all power wielded in Redmond - middle managers tend to micromanage - and woe betide if you mess up (as if they never would) experts at covering their behinds and playing the game of politics generally - eyeing the guy above him's position with envy and desire...

Advice to Management

clue is in the cons above...

Microsoft2018-02-09

"Great Place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Microsoft full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some great and smart people working there Dynamic large company Good benefits Great training, particularly on soft skills

Cons

A lot of people have been there too long and need to be moved on Very highly outsourced environment as a result technical knowledge within the organization can be poor Too much middle management which results in a lot of politics Poor career opportunities in International locations A lot of pointless meetings, emails and roles

Advice to Management

I think there is scope to examine the wisdom in outsourcing so much of it core processes to 3rd parties. Adding more roles to an org does not always improve productivity and definitely does not improve efficiency

Microsoft2017-09-04

"Declining"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great products Great brand Smart people Salaries

Cons

Partners unhappy and business now declining after many years success Inexperienced leadership team with no strategy Political No trust

Advice to Management

Stop firing good people because they threaten your ability and favouring those just because they can be easily influenced.

Microsoft2017-05-08

"Hard to beat"

Principal Program Manager in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Microsoft for more than 10 years

Pros

Fantastic culture, really great smart people, very experienced and forward thinking management

Cons

can be tough to stand out as you're mixing with the best

Advice to Management

Keep valuing your employees, keep leading

Microsoft2017-03-19

"Great company but avoid EDC"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent perks, new building on the way and facilities will be fantastic. Working with smart people. Best team to work for if you want to go further in your career are Azure, Bing, Operations and Inside Sales.

Cons

European Development Center (EDC) is too full of people that have been there too long. There is very little chance of promotion unless you just started at a low level. Glass ceiling is pretty low. Morale is pretty bad as people are just waiting for redundancy and only doing the bare minimum.

Advice to Management

For the EDC: Grow a pair and cut where it needs to. Death by a thousand paper cut is not good for morale and you will not get natural attrition as people know a package is looming. We need a proper vision, role definitions and career path defined.

Microsoft2017-01-25