Metropolitian Washington Airports Authority Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Updated 20 September 2018

Full-timePart-time

John E. Potter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Unfair Employment Practices"

I worked at Metropolitian Washington Airports Authority full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Authority does have a great work atmosphere among the people actually doing the work. A few great managers and two very good Vice Presidents, one former, one active. Both at IAD. The Authority can be an excellent place to work as soon as the BOD does a thorough house cleaning of the bad eggs.

Cons

HR is not very accurate in their work and makes many errors, some are believed to be intentional. Mis-classifying of employees for payroll purposes. Was in my case. Then not properly reimbursed for the many hours, if not hundreds, spent working as an Exempt employee. When an inquiry was made to validate my status, as well as others, we were told by our direct manager that it was verified we were Exempt. When this error was "discovered" , HR and the Department made a number of incentive promises to minimize the amount of money owed. Those promises were not kept and a few of us were washed out within a short period of time. We made waves, we were targeted. This is only the tip of the iceberg of what MWAA corporate does. There will be more information made publicly in the future. Ethics at the Authority is questionable at COB among mid-level to senior managers. Degrading of employees by use of abusive language, threatening careers and scapegoating junior employees to save the manager or supervisor. Mr. Potter and Mrs McKeough are not being briefed factually with the ongoing problems.

Advice to Management

Make good to all of the current and former employees who have been mis-classified. Re-evaluate the business practices of department managers and use fair, sound and ethical judgement.

2. "Overall, a solid company to work for"

I have been working at Metropolitian Washington Airports Authority full-time

Pros

Good people to work with, great company culture.

Cons

Benefits such as insurance is great however it would be nice to have more benefits such as a telework policy and a better tuition reimbursement plan.

3. "Decent place to work"

I have been working at Metropolitian Washington Airports Authority full-time

Pros

Benefits, Pay, Annual Raises, Diversity

Cons

Leave policies, Hours, Work/Life Balance

4. "MWAA Airport Ambassador"

I have been working at Metropolitian Washington Airports Authority part-time

Pros

Getting to see people from all over the world is a pro. The pay is also good for the amount of work we do.

Cons

After working there for a while, passengers start getting on your nerves and it gets a little overwhelming and frustrating.

Advice to Management

We need more officers because we have passengers waiting in triage for up to two hours. Also, some ambassadors and officers are so rude to the passengers, and can't give the patients they deserve. It makes it seem like our only goal is to provide customer service, not quality customer service.

"Great technology but stupid politics in IT department"

I worked at Metropolitian Washington Airports Authority full-time

Pros

Less commute as it is well connected to metro

Cons

Management not supportive of anyone whom they didn’t work with in the past.

Advice to Management

Please grow up and give a chance to others too

6. "worked at the airports authority"

Pros

good benefits, most people are nice

Cons

a lot of politics, lack of opportunity to grow

Advice to Management

truly examine questionable business practices

7. "Great part-time position, but be aware of a few things"

I worked at Metropolitian Washington Airports Authority part-time

Pros

Good experience for those who can handle high-stress and fast-paced work environments, allows opportunity for promotion (shift lead), allows you to gain understanding of airport operations, great way to build customer service and conflict resolution skills, very flexible scheduling options (VERY flexible).

Cons

Promotion opportunities are tough to obtain; promotions to shift leads are decided by current shift leads and are partly based on being "in" with that group, working with the Ambassadors may be taxing and hard on those who are less comfortable with social situations, the job requires you to stand for about 4+ hours straight with only chances of sitting or changing body position (for comfort) at lunch breaks or small breaks in between flights. Also, you work with a crowd of mostly 30+ college-aged people, so you have to be comfortable working with the younger crowd and taking instructions from shift leads that may be younger than you.

Advice to Management

Strongly advise investigating and possibly changing promotion process in the Ambassador program.

8. "Lack of Communication"

Former Employee - IT Management Intern in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - IT Management Intern in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Metropolitian Washington Airports Authority full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits were very decent

Cons

No one communicates with each other, never received a PIP or PFP to know where my strengths and weaknesses lie.

Advice to Management

Teach senior level staff how to communicate and talk with other staff members

9. "Electronic technician"

Current Employee - Electronics Technician in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Electronics Technician in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Metropolitian Washington Airports Authority full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Getting paid on time twice a week.

Cons

No growth in upward mobility.

Advice to Management

Bring back the government step system for pay.

10. "Emergency Communications Tech."

Pros

Company has great Benefits and pay is well compared to other dispatch center in area.

Cons

Emergency communications center is like a high school. Both managers and dispatchers act like children. Poor management and no structure in training new hires.

Advice to Management

Stand behind your employees and investigate issues before pointing a finger.