Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

John E. Potter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Company"

I worked at Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority part-time

Pros

Convenient if you want to learn about how airports operate, how to get around and gather a lot of information.

Cons

Just wish there would be some form of flight benefits for its employees.

2. "Middle Management"

Former Employee - Deputy Manager in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Deputy Manager in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Stability, Benefits, Self Funded Pension, Strong Long-Tenured Workforces

Cons

Very Limited Transparent Internal Communication, Constant and Ongoing Organizational Transformation

3. "Overall good"

Former Employee - Airport Ambassador in Dulles, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Airport Ambassador in Dulles, VA (US)

I worked at Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great and friendly coworkers, good pay for what you're doing, lots of flexibility and understanding of outside commitments.

Cons

Since it is part time, there are no benefits. Not that it was an issue for me, but it is something to keep in mind.
    It can be pretty stressful at times, especially over the summer-- cause you're most likely working inside Customs.

4. "Overall, a solid company to work for"

I have been working at Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority full-time

Pros

Good people to work with, great company culture.

Cons

Benefits such as insurance is great however it would be nice to have more benefits such as a telework policy and a better tuition reimbursement plan.

5. "Unfair Employment Practices"

I worked at Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Authority does have a great work atmosphere among the people actually doing the work. A few great managers and two very good Vice Presidents, one former, one active. Both at IAD. The Authority can be an excellent place to work as soon as the BOD does a thorough house cleaning of the bad eggs.

Cons

HR is not very accurate in their work and makes many errors, some are believed to be intentional. Mis-classifying of employees for payroll purposes. Was in my case. Then not properly reimbursed for the many hours, if not hundreds, spent working as an Exempt employee. When an inquiry was made to validate my status, as well as others, we were told by our direct manager that it was verified we were Exempt. When this error was "discovered" , HR and the Department made a number of incentive promises to minimize the amount of money owed. Those promises were not kept and a few of us were washed out within a short period of time. We made waves, we were targeted. This is only the tip of the iceberg of what MWAA corporate does. There will be more information made publicly in the future. Ethics at the Authority is questionable at COB among mid-level to senior managers. Degrading of employees by use of abusive language, threatening careers and scapegoating junior employees to save the manager or supervisor. Mr. Potter and Mrs McKeough are not being briefed factually with the ongoing problems.

Advice to Management

Make good to all of the current and former employees who have been mis-classified. Re-evaluate the business practices of department managers and use fair, sound and ethical judgement.

6. "Decent place to work"

I have been working at Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority full-time

Pros

Benefits, Pay, Annual Raises, Diversity

Cons

Leave policies, Hours, Work/Life Balance

7. "MWAA Airport Ambassador"

I have been working at Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority part-time

Pros

Getting to see people from all over the world is a pro. The pay is also good for the amount of work we do.

Cons

After working there for a while, passengers start getting on your nerves and it gets a little overwhelming and frustrating.

Advice to Management

We need more officers because we have passengers waiting in triage for up to two hours. Also, some ambassadors and officers are so rude to the passengers, and can't give the patients they deserve. It makes it seem like our only goal is to provide customer service, not quality customer service.

"Great technology but stupid politics in IT department"

I worked at Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority full-time

Pros

Less commute as it is well connected to metro

Cons

Management not supportive of anyone whom they didn’t work with in the past.

Advice to Management

Please grow up and give a chance to others too

"Anonymous Employee"

I have been working at Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority full-time

Pros

Good company benefits for now.

Cons

Unhealthy work environment. The majority of Managers at the corporate headquarters are horrible and behave unprofessionally. HR does not follow their own policies and condones and supports bad management at the corporate level. Bullying and harassment are allowed. Managers are protected. Performance appraisal system is really bad and not conducted according to company policy. Current CEO does not care about employees and does not speak to them. Communication is poor. CEO constantly changing people and departments around.

Advice to Management

Conduct yourself professionally and follow company policy on the treatment of the workforce. Hire an outside independent company to investigate employee complaints towards unprofessional and harrasing treatment by managers.

"A piece of work..."

I worked at Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A mixture of private and public sector for those wanting the experience of government policy &

Cons

At least in the business unit I worked in there was vertical communications but extremely poor and unprofessional lateral communication. Leadership ignores high priority items that place the company at risk. Open door policy does not exist even though it is communicated that it does. Read your contract, you are hired to work a position with x and y responsibilities, however; leadership has the power to assign responsibilities which you have no experience or training in. It goes without saying that the atmosphere is very political and your ability to exceed is through brown-nosing and to do as you are told without pushback.

Advice to Management

180 degree annual evaluations with submission to HR. (all documents being public record)