Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America "german" Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America Employee Reviews about "german"

Updated 28 Aug 2019

3.1
Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America President and CEO Philipp Skogstad
Philipp Skogstad
Pros
Cons
  • "german mindset can hinder progress(in 23 reviews)

• "Don’t let the brand reputation of Mercedes-Benz fool you into the reality of the silicon valley office(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "german"

Return to all Reviews

"Good job for a junior"

Former Employee - Former Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good food. Nice people to work except management

Cons

Management need a training how to become a leader. Salary structure is too german. Management positions occupied with former SAP managers. useless LongTermInsentive program

Advice to Management

kick out the CEO

Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America2019-08-28
  2. "Cool stuff with german mindset"

Former Intern - Internship in Sunnyvale, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America for less than a year

Pros

get to work on bleeding edge technology

Cons

german mindset can hinder progress

Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America2019-06-12

"Don’t be fooled by the brand"

I worked at Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America full-time

Pros

Luxury brand on resume Free snacks

Cons

Dysfunctional operations No growth opportunity Heavy bureaucracy and politicized decision making Centralized control in Germany By far the worst professional experience of my career. Don’t let the brand reputation of Mercedes-Benz fool you into the reality of the silicon valley office. The organization is a mess, and will always be a mess because it is a small regional office of Daimler. The silicon valley office is very dysfunctional which is very surprising for such a big company. There is constant turnover that leaves very little organizational experience. There is extremely little chance of career advancement. Maybe a slightly better chance if you’re German. Majority of management positions are held for rotations from HQ Germany. Most talented people realize this after a couple of years, then leave, filling the office with mediocre people. CEO is irrelevant. CEO is a vanity title (in reality just a regional VP) to manage office operations. All budgets are controlled through Germany and funded to individual departments. This means your direct manager will have the biggest influence on your experience. If you’re going to go through the pain of working at such a terrible office, make sure you have an exit plan before you start. Get a couple of years on your resume with a well-known brand. Don’t work too hard – you will not get promoted if you do. Nor will not be punished if you don’t.

Advice to Management

No advice to management since they have no power to do anything. This is a structural problem that needs to be fixed by Germany HQ.

Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America2019-01-06

"Generally very pleasant experience at Seattle office"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America full-time for less than a year

Pros

* Very good leadership inside Seattle hub. The hub manager has deep experience and clear vision. Team managers are very collaborative. * Great culture. Many young people and over 40% female engineers. * Great work life balance. * Awesome office and sea view. * Good compensation and benefit (including immigration service, e.g. 1 year before green card application) * The cars are getting cooler despite how slow the Daimler as a corporate seems to be.

Cons

* Tooling is controlled by Daimler which can be frustrating and limiting. * Communication with German side can be timeconsuming and sometimes difficult.

Advice to Management

Improve the tooling and it should be a great office.

Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America2018-09-26

"Engineering manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

We have the ability to build great prototypes and have direct interactions with HQ executives in order to bring solutions to life. Colleagues are great to work with.

Cons

HR is in shambles again. I tried to go to them with issues, and they just brush me off. IT is a joke, I basically use my personal laptop to get work done right. Finally, zero faith in our CEO. He constantly stumbles on his promises, and even gave us a 0% merit increase when the rest of the company was budgeted for 3%. Finally, there is a clear bias towards promoting those who come from HQ or of German background. This is a systemic issue, but not at the level where we think it’s discrimination. It still puts a toxic environment for us all to work in. It’s why we work in silos, in order to avoid issues.

Advice to Management

This message goes to the CEO: you need to admit to your mistakes and be humble about your leadership role. Listen to us, and don’t just pretend to. And have some Americans on your executive and senior leadership team including more women!!!!!

Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America2018-05-09

"Good place to work but far from being a Silicon Valley company"

Current Employee - Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working on cutting edge technology for the best car company in the world. Great office with all necessary amenities. Sometimes travel to Germany for work (business class if you are a manager). Good parking availability. Stable job with good work balance. Good job to get on your resume.

Cons

Slow release cycles, which is normal for OEMs but be aware your work might reach the market long after you're gone. Lack of diversity and competitive talent. Not the place to make a career since all decisions are made in Germany, and all promotions are given to Germans or people that have been long at the company. Secrecy and jealousy between teams instead of synergies.

Advice to Management

Fix management & culture of the company. Instead of MBRDNA being a leader on cultural change (and the so called Leadership 2020), seems to be that MBRDNA is actually lagging compared to other locations and trying to remain as the classic hierarchical OEM work place. Provide trainings to managers, since many of them don't seem to be good at leading and managing people. This is a great location with talent, which needs great leadership to align the work between teams and empower employees and managers to be able to execute. The recent increase in Glassdoor reviews is driven by an unconformity of employees with how the transition is being handle and trying to hide problems instead of fixing them. Talking about bad glassdoor reviews in front of the previous CEO is definitely a display of lack of experience as a leader and manager. There are also rumors that reviews are being manipulated which is causing more discontent.

Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America2018-03-21

"Great brand and company, issues with management & culture"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Amazing brand and products that lead the automotive luxury segment. -Good perks & flexible work schedule. -You can get cool cars for a great price. -Desire & willingness to improve, yet poor execution.

Cons

-For being in Silicon Valley, the company is mostly German. -Promotions are awarded based on age/length at the company instead of performance & responsibilities. Performance evaluation system is archaic. -Compensation is mediocre for Silicon Valley. -Rotation of people is extremely high, the ones that remain, are the ones that are tied to the company because of their visas. -There is barely any communication between teams and not much collaboration. -Every decision takes place in Germany.

Advice to Management

The office seems more like a shared space between different groups of people, instead of a teams that work closely together for the same company. Seems like all decisions are made by different groups in Germany and the CEO has not influence. HQ should empower the CEO to actually have some decision power and influence in the direction of the company.

Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America2018-03-15
  8. "Engineering Intern"

Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Sunnyvale, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work life balance, Great facilities, Highly skilled colleagues and often there's a chance to meet customers at various trade shows and conferences

Cons

All the decisions controlled by German counterpart. Management should be more transparent to the colleagues. Wastes a lot of money.

Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America2017-08-23

"Dysfunctional Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

I like my immediate team members; we have open communication within our group and everyone works equally hard. I have interesting work. My Manager is qualified and provides sound advice on my work product.

Cons

The culture in the Silicon Valley office is dysfunctional and shows no signs of improving. The CEO is a German expat and does not really have direct power to lead the company; his role is more of an adviser. He announced he is leaving in November 2017. This adds another problem to the leadership team as there are several vacancies already at the top. The HR department has been leaderless for over a year and the recruiting team is unqualified in its ability to process hires correctly. Two VP positions are vacant for over six month. Power resides in Germany and with the clients who directly fund the teams. Existing VPs do their own thing and set the values for their own teams. Some hire sub par talent and bring in immature interns (due to lack of competitive pay) or promote under qualified individuals to Principle positions just to keep them (Principles get free cars). Department leaders act independently as if they don’t want to be a part of one MBRDNA company.

Advice to Management

Advise to the R&D board in Germany: provide a leader who is actually authorized with the power to financially lead and make decisions for the whole company. Vision and direction for the company in the next 3-5 years is not clearly defined.

Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America2017-07-22

"Bad place to work unless you are German"

No Opinion of CEO

Pros

My direct co-workers were nice. Good healthcare options.

Cons

The company is 80% German. Company culture is horrible. Absolutely no perks! They don't pay well at all! Promotion process is bias and in favor of Germans.

Advice to Management

Embrace diversity and the silicon valley culture. Add more perks and better pay.

Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America2017-07-05