Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America Employee Reviews about "german"

Updated 28 Jul 2020

3.3
Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America President and CEO Philipp Skogstad
Philipp Skogstad
Pros
Cons
  • "There has also been accusations that the company gives preference towards German men(in 28 reviews)

• "He would rather paint the building and color it depressing instead of paying employees Silicon Valley salaries(in 11 reviews)

Reviews about "german"

Return to all Reviews
  1. COVID-19

"It’s bad"

1.0

I worked at Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are ok. Unlimited vacation if your manager is cool.

Cons

Where to start? CEO is a joke. Says he encourages feedback but people that speak up get fired or laid off. Rumors have it he applied for a manager role a few years back and was rejected. Definitely not a leader. No empathy. Complained in company wide video that he has to work from home during a pandemic when employees lose family members due to it. Talk that they are a Silicon Valley company but don’t pay that salary and especially when laying off people they really aren’t. 3 months pay max no matter if you worked there 1 or 13 years. Act like they are diverse and inclusive when POC are getting treated beyond horribly. Systemic racism is real. They hide behind big words and a black square for blackout Tuesday. Don’t ask for stats you’ll be disappointed. Women don’t get to say much, especially the ones working closely with the CEO. CEO found a way to get rid of all of them. Makes me wonder what’s his problem. Good people are leaving left and right and nobody gets replaced. If Germany says reduce headcount people have to get laid off. Managers don’t get any training. Good luck dealing with a boss that really doesn’t know anything about leadership. Some are beyond manipulative but even though employees complain and complain, HR doesn’t do anything. The good ones are long gone. People that have been loyal for years get the ugly treatment to get rid of them. They get forced to retire or they get laid off instead. Germany gets what they want. If you are a White male and can speak German there’s a 100% chance you’ll get the promotion. To whoever wrote the good review or was paid to write it - good luck and wake up! PS: @MBRDNA please stop deleting this because it meets Glassdoor guidelines. You should much rather invest your time and energy into cleaning up your internal mess.

Continue reading
  2. "Generally a good place to work but the company is currently in bad shape."

Former Contractor - Software Engineer II in Sunnyvale, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America for less than a year

Pros

The team is full of great and interesting people brought in from many different branches of Daimler and Bosch. The project involves cutting edge research. Full time staff get unlimited vacation and requests for it are actually respected; Lunch is Subsidized. Mercedes cars are available for cheap leases through the company. Upper level positions are generally hired from inside the company. The company frequently sends team members to other regions to collaborate with other teams. Company throws fun parties and events. Despite being let go from the company I was given plenty of warning and effort was made to place me elsewhere in the company. Compensation is fair.

Cons

The company is trying to pivot but there is unclear and confusing as to how or when this is to happen. This has caused moral to crumble and many believe that Project will never finish. There is a lot of confusion and not enough communication from upper management.During this uncertain time there has been layoffs, contracts have been allowed to expire, some positions have been outsourced to cheaper countries, and an ongoing hiring freeze. There has been talk of closing down the Sunnyvale office altogether. There has also been accusations that the company gives preference towards German men.

Continue reading

3. "Driving the future of mobility in the Silicon Valley"

5.0
    Former Employee - Senior Operations Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's very rewarding to see your work on the road. Great drive and focus in bringing the best technology to the market.

Cons

Instead of using Silicon Valley spirit, speed and experience to drive the global organization, German management comes in and overloads creativity with too much German culture input.

Continue reading

"good work and people, bad company and pay"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people here are great, fun to be around and pretty outgoing. It felt like being a college student again

Cons

The pay was pretty mediocre for the bay area. Also Mercedes as an organization doesn't really run on the same pace as their bay area branch. The org itself is very old-school german.

"German company with all favors to WHITES and Germans."

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer

Pros

Nice location and that's all.

Cons

Horrible management, horrible food (we have to pay for crappy lunch). Trend has been ' #Germans and #White people get #promoted' first. Don't get fooled by seeing other color people there. That is just a way to cover up ... at the end Germans are the ones who gets promoted. Lots of great talents have left the company and there is a huge layoff situation in progress. CEO is very shady along with his Senior Management. He would rather paint the building and color it depressing instead of paying employees Silicon Valley salaries. There is constant workplace moving going on in this place and that has more preference over engineers. It has been more then a year and there is no solid HR staff. Did not get any human resources who we can count on to be human enough to have an interaction with. Thanks Mr. CEO !!! If you want to progress in your career do not join this place because they will end up treating you very badly. I feel dumb already so am in progress to move out.

"Good job for a junior"

Former Employee - Former Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

Good food. Nice people to work except management

Cons

Management need a training how to become a leader. Salary structure is too german. Management positions occupied with former SAP managers. useless LongTermInsentive program

Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America Response

September 9, 2019Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks so much for your feedback. We continue to evaluate both our compensation and benefit offerings at MBRDNA. We’ve implemented new salary ranges this year which are regularly reviewed for market competitiveness in addition to a well-funded, performance-based Long Term Incentive program. We also are getting ready to launch an intensive leadership development program specifically for MBRDNA next month which will give our leaders useful tools to improve their performance. Please feel free to reach out to us with any additional feedback or questions at mbrdna-humanresources@daimler.com

7. "Cool stuff with german mindset"

Former Intern - Internship in Sunnyvale, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

Pros

get to work on bleeding edge technology

Cons

german mindset can hinder progress

"Don’t be fooled by the brand"

I worked at Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America full-time

Pros

Luxury brand on resume Free snacks

Cons

Dysfunctional operations No growth opportunity Heavy bureaucracy and politicized decision making Centralized control in Germany By far the worst professional experience of my career. Don’t let the brand reputation of Mercedes-Benz fool you into the reality of the silicon valley office. The organization is a mess, and will always be a mess because it is a small regional office of Daimler. The silicon valley office is very dysfunctional which is very surprising for such a big company. There is constant turnover that leaves very little organizational experience. There is extremely little chance of career advancement. Maybe a slightly better chance if you’re German. Majority of management positions are held for rotations from HQ Germany. Most talented people realize this after a couple of years, then leave, filling the office with mediocre people. CEO is irrelevant. CEO is a vanity title (in reality just a regional VP) to manage office operations. All budgets are controlled through Germany and funded to individual departments. This means your direct manager will have the biggest influence on your experience. If you’re going to go through the pain of working at such a terrible office, make sure you have an exit plan before you start. Get a couple of years on your resume with a well-known brand. Don’t work too hard – you will not get promoted if you do. Nor will not be punished if you don’t.

Continue reading

"Generally very pleasant experience at Seattle office"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    No Opinion of CEO

Pros

* Very good leadership inside Seattle hub. The hub manager has deep experience and clear vision. Team managers are very collaborative. * Great culture. Many young people and over 40% female engineers. * Great work life balance. * Awesome office and sea view. * Good compensation and benefit (including immigration service, e.g. 1 year before green card application) * The cars are getting cooler despite how slow the Daimler as a corporate seems to be.

Cons

* Tooling is controlled by Daimler which can be frustrating and limiting. * Communication with German side can be timeconsuming and sometimes difficult.

"Engineering manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

We have the ability to build great prototypes and have direct interactions with HQ executives in order to bring solutions to life. Colleagues are great to work with.

Cons

HR is in shambles again. I tried to go to them with issues, and they just brush me off. IT is a joke, I basically use my personal laptop to get work done right. Finally, zero faith in our CEO. He constantly stumbles on his promises, and even gave us a 0% merit increase when the rest of the company was budgeted for 3%. Finally, there is a clear bias towards promoting those who come from HQ or of German background. This is a systemic issue, but not at the level where we think it’s discrimination. It still puts a toxic environment for us all to work in. It’s why we work in silos, in order to avoid issues.

Found 28 reviews