Cover image for Medical Protection Society

Medical Protection Society

Is this your company?

Medical Protection Society

Add a Review

Medical Protection Society Employee Reviews about "mps"

Updated 8 Sep 2021

Found 11 of over 129 reviews

4.0
Medical Protection Society Chief Executive Simon Kayll
Simon Kayll
Pros
  • "Flexibility- good work/life balance, helpful colleagues(in 8 reviews)

• "Great work, flexible working hours, good pay, working from home option, some great colleagues(in 6 reviews)

• Cons
  • "None so far that I have come across(in 4 reviews)

• "Limited progression opportunities within the business(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "mps"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Portfolio, Programme & Projects - A new starter

8 Sep 2021 - Programmer Manager in Leeds, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

A well thought out, thorough and supportive new joiners process welcomed me to MPS. Clear role objectives and clear departmental structure welcomed me to the business. A very warm welcome to the business, a very member focused environment whilst remaining supportive for staff.

Cons

Decision making by committee can extend timescales, however, you can work with this to maintain timescales, whilst quality decisions for Members are the focus.

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Avoid this company

13 Jul 2021 - Membership Advisor in Leeds, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Training is paid for. Company offer laptops and equipment to work from home during pandemic.

Cons

Where to start. Firstly I want to say that before applying, I had seen a few reviews pertaining to the mental health impact this company had on a few other ex employees. Stupidly I didn't listen. To start with, the training is perhaps one of the most intense experiences you will ever go through. The role covers a humungous amount of areas that are almost impossible for a single human being to get the hang of. Even experienced staff struggle at times, and many provide different solutions that vary vastly from the other. Myself and others were constantly told throughout that we were not to worry because this is "normal", and that once officially going live, there would be help and patience given to us. This is a lie. Unlike most other companies, where the job gives the employees the more basic tasks first, before moving them to more difficult ones, MPS literally throws you into the lions den. There are simply not enough experienced support advisors to help the new staff, which means that you would be left alone while placing an agitated customer on hold. This is common practice within the company, which of course would raises whatever anxiety you had. Some managers are understanding, while some are not, and expect you to get to grips with everything. Favouritism and bad behaviour is rife, under the guise of rude, passive aggressive comments within teams chats and gaslighting feedback sessions that go unchecked. Calls, emails and pretty much everything you do is monitored, and if for whatever reason you stand out, you will be a target. There is a real lack of empathy within this company that is quite toxic. On the surface , one may think they are kind and understanding by using empty words and fake greetings in the mornings. Unfortunately it just isn't a pleasant place to be, so please apply at your own risk. There are genuinely nice people within the company. However, it is the unkind ones that are in positions of power and influence, which ultimately effect the experience of a new starter. I am now suffering from extreme anxiety and ongoing doctors appointments; all of which I have never experienced before in my life.

3 people found this review helpful
    3. Join the Medical Protection Society team
      See Our Latest Jobs
    4. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Good company would recommend highly

11 Dec 2020 - Claims Assistant in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Been at mps for a long time they really try to progress you in your career. Funded me for my law training.

Cons

A lot of decisions have to go through lots of people so sometimes can be difficult.

Recruitment Adviser

Great that you have taken the time to review your 8 years at MPS and we are so glad it has been a positive experience. The aim of refreshing our Employee Engagement Forums has been to get colleagues from around the organisation more involved in decision making as we are aware this is an area that we can always improve. Good luck in your next steps in your law career.

5. 5.0
      Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Excellent virtual professional experience

9 Nov 2020 - Anonymous Contractor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Although I was onboarded virtually and have not yet met any of my colleagues in person, I feel like a valued colleague and I get on with my team and wider stakeholders very well. The team have been extremely supportive and I have appreciated the emphasis on wellbeing and prioritising our mental and physical health during the pandemic. Despite conducting all my work from my kitchen table, I feel as if I know MPS very well and I'm an integral part of the team.

Cons

I would love to meet the team face-to-face, however it is no fault of MPS that I haven't been able to.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee

MPS true to their values

3 Nov 2020 - Case Manager in Bloemfontein
      Business Outlook

Pros

It is truly uplifting to be able to work in an environment where everything is centred around caring. I respect and trust MPS to empower me to execute the work that I am appointed for with skill, expertise and integrity. It is totally refreshing to function in an environment of respect and trust, where we have the freedom and confidence to make decisions and own the choices made.

Cons

As Margaret Mead once said: "Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have."

7. 5.0

Great place to work

4 Aug 2020 - Procurement in Leeds, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I joined the role during lockdown, the engagement and sense of belonging has been extremely good from the organisation. They have handled the current situation immensely well and I felt part of the organisation from day 1, even without having the ability to physically meet people or see the office. The work is great and there is always opportunity to challenge yourself, and a real sense of empowerment to progress and make decisions.

Cons

The only downside thus far is one that is unable to be controlled, working from home and not getting the physical interaction with colleagues. That said, MPS really have dealt with the situation well and reacted.

Recruitment Adviser

The last few months have been quite a rollercoaster ride and we appreciate how challenging it is to get to know your team and colleagues around the organisation when they only exist on screen!!! You are not on your own, between 1st March and 30th June we had 49 new colleagues join MPS across 5 different countries. I’m really pleased that you have joined the team and are already enjoying your role.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee

Excellent Employer

26 Jul 2020 - P&C Advisor in Brisbane
      Business Outlook

Pros

MPS is invested in its employee's, especially around wellbeing, training & succession planning and benefits.

Cons

Nothing l can think of to date.

Recruitment Adviser

Thank you for taking the time to provide a view. We always try and ensure that we promote development opportunities for colleagues. I'm glad that you find the health and wellbeing activities worthwhile, especially during these challenging times.

9. 5.0

Amazing!

30 Dec 2019 - Relationship Manager in Leeds, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked for some terrible businesses in the past however my experience of working for MPS so far has been outstanding. They are a brilliant company to work for offer amazing benefits. There is absolutely no micro management and I have the freedom to do my job in addition my opinion is 100% trusted. There is lots of appreciation and praise for doing well. Fab offices, great Managers and people. Lots of opportunity to develop and progress if you have the right mindset and attitude. The company is really member focused and is absolutely gold standard for indemnity.

Cons

There has been a lot of change recently however from what I can see this has definitely been needed.

Recruitment Adviser

Thanks for your feedback, it’s always great to read peoples’ positive experiences of working here. I’m glad that you feel appreciated for the work you do and the freedom you have to do your job. As you are a currently employee I’d encourage you to use the recognition scheme and the new values awards if you feel any of your colleagues really stand out. Hope you find 2020 enjoyable, challenging and rewarding.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

A really great culture

7 Sep 2019 - Marketing and Business Development Manager in Leeds, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

You have are empowered to really make things happen, which for a company of their size and revenue is really something.

Cons

It can be quite slow moving at times and you really need to collaborate heavily to bring about change, but if you're passionate and determined you can do a lot at MPS and be recognised and rewarded for it. It can be a very risk averse company as well and is quite underwriting and internally focused rather than customer focused, so in the marketing roles you really need to prepared to fight for things.

Recruitment Adviser

I would like to apologise for the time it has taken me to respond to your review. Thank you for taking the time to leave your review it is always much appreciated. We will certainly take your feedback on-board around being closer to our members as we are always looking for ways to improve and understand changes that could be made.

11. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Senior Database Administrator

6 Jul 2017 - Senior Database Administrator in Leeds, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I worked for MPS in the capacity of SQL Server DBA for little over three and a half year. Today is my last day at MPS. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at MPS. It is great place for anyone to work. My Manager Jonlee and Head of IT Jane Smith was very flexible, given I have child care issues. I am only leaving this place due to personnel circumstances. I would like thank both Jonlee and Jane for the support you both gave me throughout my time here, especially in the last few months. MPS offer excellent benefits and to name few are Pension 12%, Guaranteed Bonus up to 10% (very fair system), 25 holidays plus bank holidays, training budget, and flexible working and great work life balance. All in all its an excellent working environment.

Cons

I think only thing I recommend to MPS is to encourage remote working for employee during release where possible. It will be a future way working. Other than that I struggle to find any. I am not going to make up one. :0)

3 people found this review helpful