Medical Protection Society Employee Reviews about "mps"

Updated Dec 11, 2020

Found 9 of over 90 reviews

4.2
Medical Protection Society Chief Executive Simon Kayll (no image)
Simon Kayll
Pros
  • "Interesting cases, good work/life balance(in 7 reviews)

• "Been at mps for a long time they really try to progress you in your career(in 7 reviews)

• Cons
  • "There has to be further communication between departments, further transparency from the executive team and much more career progression opportunities(in 5 reviews)

• "None so far that I have come across(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "mps"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

MPS true to their values

Nov 3, 2020 - Case Manager in Bloemfontein
      Business Outlook

Pros

It is truly uplifting to be able to work in an environment where everything is centred around caring. I respect and trust MPS to empower me to execute the work that I am appointed for with skill, expertise and integrity. It is totally refreshing to function in an environment of respect and trust, where we have the freedom and confidence to make decisions and own the choices made.

Cons

As Margaret Mead once said: "Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have."

2. 5.0
      Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Excellent virtual professional experience

Nov 9, 2020 - Anonymous Contractor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Although I was onboarded virtually and have not yet met any of my colleagues in person, I feel like a valued colleague and I get on with my team and wider stakeholders very well. The team have been extremely supportive and I have appreciated the emphasis on wellbeing and prioritising our mental and physical health during the pandemic. Despite conducting all my work from my kitchen table, I feel as if I know MPS very well and I'm an integral part of the team.

Cons

I would love to meet the team face-to-face, however it is no fault of MPS that I haven't been able to.

3. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Good company would recommend highly

Dec 11, 2020 - Claims Assistant in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Been at mps for a long time they really try to progress you in your career. Funded me for my law training.

Cons

A lot of decisions have to go through lots of people so sometimes can be difficult.

Recruitment Adviser

Great that you have taken the time to review your 8 years at MPS and we are so glad it has been a positive experience. The aim of refreshing our Employee Engagement Forums has been to get colleagues from around the organisation more involved in decision making as we are aware this is an area that we can always improve. Good luck in your next steps in your law career.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work

Aug 4, 2020 - Procurement in Leeds, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I joined the role during lockdown, the engagement and sense of belonging has been extremely good from the organisation. They have handled the current situation immensely well and I felt part of the organisation from day 1, even without having the ability to physically meet people or see the office. The work is great and there is always opportunity to challenge yourself, and a real sense of empowerment to progress and make decisions.

Cons

The only downside thus far is one that is unable to be controlled, working from home and not getting the physical interaction with colleagues. That said, MPS really have dealt with the situation well and reacted.

Recruitment Adviser

The last few months have been quite a rollercoaster ride and we appreciate how challenging it is to get to know your team and colleagues around the organisation when they only exist on screen!!! You are not on your own, between 1st March and 30th June we had 49 new colleagues join MPS across 5 different countries. I’m really pleased that you have joined the team and are already enjoying your role.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee

Excellent Employer

Jul 26, 2020 - P&C Advisor in Brisbane
      Business Outlook

Pros

MPS is invested in its employee's, especially around wellbeing, training & succession planning and benefits.

Cons

Nothing l can think of to date.

Recruitment Adviser

Thank you for taking the time to provide a view. We always try and ensure that we promote development opportunities for colleagues. I'm glad that you find the health and wellbeing activities worthwhile, especially during these challenging times.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing!

Dec 30, 2019 - Relationship Manager in Leeds, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked for some terrible businesses in the past however my experience of working for MPS so far has been outstanding. They are a brilliant company to work for offer amazing benefits. There is absolutely no micro management and I have the freedom to do my job in addition my opinion is 100% trusted. There is lots of appreciation and praise for doing well. Fab offices, great Managers and people. Lots of opportunity to develop and progress if you have the right mindset and attitude. The company is really member focused and is absolutely gold standard for indemnity.

Cons

There has been a lot of change recently however from what I can see this has definitely been needed.

Recruitment Adviser

Thanks for your feedback, it’s always great to read peoples’ positive experiences of working here. I’m glad that you feel appreciated for the work you do and the freedom you have to do your job. As you are a currently employee I’d encourage you to use the recognition scheme and the new values awards if you feel any of your colleagues really stand out. Hope you find 2020 enjoyable, challenging and rewarding.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

A really great culture

Sep 7, 2019 - Marketing and Business Development Manager in Leeds, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

You have are empowered to really make things happen, which for a company of their size and revenue is really something.

Cons

It can be quite slow moving at times and you really need to collaborate heavily to bring about change, but if you're passionate and determined you can do a lot at MPS and be recognised and rewarded for it. It can be a very risk averse company as well and is quite underwriting and internally focused rather than customer focused, so in the marketing roles you really need to prepared to fight for things.

Recruitment Adviser

I would like to apologise for the time it has taken me to respond to your review. Thank you for taking the time to leave your review it is always much appreciated. We will certainly take your feedback on-board around being closer to our members as we are always looking for ways to improve and understand changes that could be made.

8. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Senior Database Administrator

Jul 6, 2017 - Senior Database Administrator in Leeds, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I worked for MPS in the capacity of SQL Server DBA for little over three and a half year. Today is my last day at MPS. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at MPS. It is great place for anyone to work. My Manager Jonlee and Head of IT Jane Smith was very flexible, given I have child care issues. I am only leaving this place due to personnel circumstances. I would like thank both Jonlee and Jane for the support you both gave me throughout my time here, especially in the last few months. MPS offer excellent benefits and to name few are Pension 12%, Guaranteed Bonus up to 10% (very fair system), 25 holidays plus bank holidays, training budget, and flexible working and great work life balance. All in all its an excellent working environment.

Cons

I think only thing I recommend to MPS is to encourage remote working for employee during release where possible. It will be a future way working. Other than that I struggle to find any. I am not going to make up one. :0)

3 people found this review helpful
    9. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Self-important society which takes itself very seriously - no opportunities for advancement and zero flexibility

Apr 30, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Secure unless you fall foul of the odd politics and down 'the MPS trapdoor' which one or two have. You get a salary, maybe fine for some if you want to stay in the same old job for the rest of your life. 5 weeks annual leave + some med bens. There was a final salary pension scheme which has now been dispensed with.

Cons

Two tier system where doctors and lawyers are always superior, an 'Upstairs Downstairs' of indemnity (insurance in most people's language) where support staff are considered lesser humans and treated accordingly. There is absolutely no opportunity for career progression nor creativity or innovation. 'Fairness' being one of the core values is a massive double standard with some being allotted way more fairness than others. Workloads have increased considerably but salaries are less than the market rate. Morale not great and laughter/talking to ones colleagues not encouraged. The staff kitchen is poorly laid out and inadequate for 300+ people.

11 people found this review helpful