McGraw Hill Reviews

Updated 8 Jul 2020

3.3
McGraw Hill President and CEO  Simon Allen (no image)
Simon Allen
Pros
Cons
  • "upper management would never be hired in management elsewhere(in 31 reviews)

• "Do lots of experiments, Strategy change & Senior Management Change(in 19 reviews)

1. "Good company to work for!"

Former Employee - Learning Consultant in Toronto, ON

I worked at McGraw Hill full-time

Pros

Welcoming, fun place to work. Good work/life balance.

Cons

Better accountability for low performing employee is needed.

2. "Great Management"

Former Employee - Renewal Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at McGraw Hill full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Management always worked to bring together all of the different departments to ensure cohesion and comradery. It was both an effective and pleasurable work environment.

Cons

Some positions are limited in their potential for growth.

July 7, 2020Talent Acquisition

Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback! We are glad to hear you enjoyed the collaboration and environment during your time at McGraw Hill. We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors!

3. "Good"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at McGraw Hill full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good team and culture, good work life balance

Cons

average benefits average salary and growth

June 23, 2020Talent Acquisition

Hello, Thanks for your review. We are glad to hear you enjoy the people and culture at McGraw Hill. If you have any further feedback you'd like to share about benefits, etc. please email talentacquisition@mheducation.com and we'll make sure it's seen by the appropriate team. Thanks!

4. "Great Employer"

Current Employee - Designer

I have been working at McGraw Hill full-time

Pros

Very flexible work-life balance, and an awesome place to work!

Cons

Salaries could align more with market value.

June 16, 2020Talent Acquisition

Thanks so much for sharing your feedback. We are glad to hear you enjoy working at McGraw Hill. Please feel free to email us at talentacquisition@mheducation.com with any further feedback. We'll make sure it is passed along to the appropriate department. Thanks for being a member of our team!

5. COVID-19

"They don't hire experienced candidates"

2.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at McGraw Hill full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The 6% 401k match was a good benefit and unfortunately, it ended due to COVID 19 pandemic and it may not come back again. It is scheduled to come back on January 1st, 2021, but many people doubt it.

Cons

*This company has a new CEO every 1-2 years. They come and go. Very high turnover in the top management. Many top executives left voluntarily. The new CEO seems to be better so far. *The bonus program is not guaranteed. You may not get any bonus if you decide to work here. *The office in Irvine prefers to hire only college grads with 0 experience to save money and have full control over them. Most of those college grads need visa sponsorship. Irvine is a city that has one of the most famous universities in the U.S. and every year, a big number of local students graduate with a computer science degree. I find it hard to believe that there is a lack of local talent in Irvine. There might be an abuse of the H1 program. *ALEKS software so far is surviving fine because a few founders and architects that built the system from scratch are still there. Once they retire or leave, the system might collapse. Remember, the majority of their developers that they hire are recent college grads that have no experience. *All software developers in Irvine office don't have admin rights in their machine. This limits their ability to troubleshoot issues or run some programs that are necessary for software development. *Some weak managers/leads are insecure and they skip great candidates on purpose. HR should minimize the authority and power of the manager in making a hiring decision. The hiring decision should be made by a group from different teams to avoid this issue. *No promotions unless you learn how to be "Yes" man or "Yes" mam. You will have to always agree with your manager or lead especially if they are insecure.

June 30, 2020Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback about your experience at McGraw Hill. We appreciate everything you shared in your review, and have ensured this is seen by the appropriate teams. While we had to make the difficult decision to temporarily remove the 401k match due to the current COVID-19 climate, please know that this is only in place until the end of 2020. We hope to get back to our regular 401k match program as soon as possible. We thank you for being a member of our team, and appreciate your thoughts so we can continue to improve.

6. COVID-19

"Strong mission and dedication to education."

Current Employee - Associate Academic Designer in Woodland, CA

I have been working at McGraw Hill full-time for more than a year

Pros

CEO Simon Allen is a fantastic leader who is very candid with everyone in the company. There is a strong desire to make education equitable and truly be a learning science company. Everything during the stay-at-home orders has been very flexible and focused on keeping the employees safe.

Cons

Often like to keep workers on as contract rather than hired employees. The company has been working on the work-life balance issue for years, still a work in progress.

June 12, 2020Talent Acquisition

Thanks so much for your review. We're glad to hear you feel supporting by leadership during this time, and appreciate your important feedback about working as a contractor. If you'd like to provide any further feedback, please email us at talentacquisition@mheducation.com. We'd love to find out more so we can improve. Thank you!

7. "Focus on education"

Former Employee - Senior Designer in New York, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at McGraw Hill full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Ability to work from home 2 days a week.

Cons

Departments were understaffed in all areas.

June 30, 2020Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback about our flexible work environment, as well as your thoughts on the bandwidth of your team. We appreciate your feedback and wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors!

8. COVID-19

"There's a lot of good, some uncertainty, and some bad"

Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at McGraw Hill full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

As of recently, MH has embraced modern HR practices, flexibility, and benefits. In the midst of a pandemic, I feel good working here, even though layoffs are likely given the hits to the bottom line. 6% 401k matching is nice. Health benefits are okay.

Cons

High achievers outside of sales are not consistently rewarded with compensation or new challenges. Many people are hired from competitors which limits innovation. Lots of light cronyism with poached hires. People are rarely held accountable for failed initiatives that promised (or forecasted) return on investment. In most cases, these people actually seem to be on the promotion fast track. Same goes for project/product managers who overpromise and underdeliver.

May 19, 2020Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your honest feedback. Our employees are our #1 priority so we are glad to hear you feel supported during this time. If you would like to provide any further feedback please email us at talentacquisition@mheducation.com. Thank you for being a part of our team!

9. COVID-19

"Below Market Pay, No Raise, No 401k Matching, Bonus maybe? and offshore workers"

1.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Irvine, CA

I have been working at McGraw Hill full-time

Pros

New CEO that might bring MHE in the right direction. Working for a big corporation Maybe 3 weeks starting vacation.

Cons

"If you do ALOT but for below average pay, and on top of that you don't get recognized by your bosses. That's not a good combination" They did not offer salary raises (annual raise.. which is usual inflation raises). Covid was the reasoning (and yet we are told EVERYTHING IS GOING GREAT!) They removed 401k matching. Yep, no 401k matching (Covid reason). Bonus is up in the air. Sometimes you get it, sometimes you don't. Previous years we never got one. Pay is not commensurate to the work you do. (Maybe 10-15k off market value) We are told that if you want to make more we have to take on more responsibilities/duties instead of paying the correct salary for your current job. Horrible annual review process that changes every few years. This is all MHE HR/Talent and Culture doing. Create a performance review system that is useless and not reflective of your own performance. You are actually graded on your behavior (core competencies). If you don't know what antiquated "core competencies" are, then just stay away from this company. The performance review process of asking for feedback is not anonymous or even done well. You are lucky if you have feedback by your own peers. Your supervisor/manager might just ask random people who don't work with you day to day. Little to no chance of promotions. Human Resources has been renamed Talent and Acquisition and barely knows any Human Resources information. I've seen someone build a system from the GROUND UP in less than a year and after staying at MHE for 3 years only get standard inflation raises (not even considered once for a promotion)! Again, no bonus's for years. High Deductable health plan which is expensive. United Healthcare is the main option with only a 3rd option for PPO. If you want to have reduced healthcare premiums you're required to a health program that while beneficial is alot of wasted time. The Health Care Benefit cost is pricey and they even charge you a spouse surcharge. If you have a family, the cost of healthcare is expensive. Declining benefits year after year. Did I already mention horrible annual review process? Poor vision of developing software. What do you expect from a publishing company. We were told things would change year after year. Years where we did badly, they said they already knew about it but did nothing. Slowly hiring inexpensive overseas (India/Ukraine) developers and testers in replacements of US workers. US Contractors have been replaced by offshore employees to save money. We have good US workers that actually applied for Full-Time jobs here (I've worked these US contractors), but they got rejected because they chose offshore employee to save money. Slowly hiring entry level, junior level employees in replacement of Experienced workers. No plan for training or promoting employees. Upper Executive management left in a hurry.. I wonder why? Temporary Work From Home Policy only due to covid. If there was no covid, then most people would work in the office (yep.. for a so called software company... strange, no?)

June 30, 2020Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback about your experience at McGraw Hill. While we had to make the difficult decision to temporarily remove the 401k match due to the current COVID-19 climate, please know that this is only in place until the end of 2020. We hope to get back to our regular 401k match program as soon as possible. Additionally, we want to clarify that our Culture & Talent team is here to answer your HR-related questions. Please contact your C&T Business Partner or utilize our employee hotline: http://hotline.mheducation.com. Employees are encouraged to use the method they are most comfortable with to ask questions or report issues, without fear of retaliation. We thank you for being a member of the McGraw Hill team, and appreciate your feedback so we can continue to improve as an employer.

"place is horrible"

Former Employee - Director in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at McGraw Hill part-time for less than a year

Pros

none here at all now

Cons

horrible benefits and management here

May 12, 2020Talent Acquisition

We show up every day with an insatiable desire to learn, grow and make a difference. Feedback like yours helps us do that, so thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We’re sorry to hear you didn't have a great experience, and we’d love to learn more so we can improve. Please email us directly at talentacquisition@mheducation.com if you'd like to share further feedback. Thank you!

Found 860 reviews