Mailchimp Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Mailchimp Founder/CEO Ben Chestnut
Ben Chestnut

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "The company is growing fast, and like any growing business, things can change at a break-neck pace" (in 3 reviews)

• "But it's hard for employees to actually listen hard when no one is telling them anything" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Excellent experience plus benefits!"

Pros

Benefits, workmates, food, stuff, opportunities, bonuses,

Cons

Low base salary initially , limited work from home arrangements, not too many more pros than cons

Advice to Management

Doing a great job please keep listening to your employees while expanding. It is such an exceptional place to work.

2. "No better company in Atlanta"

I have been working at Mailchimp full-time

Pros

- Very generous benefits, including 100% paid insurance for my family
    - Generally great experience with my managers. They've been very supportive.
    - Fun, startup-y culture, with a lot of the benefits of a large, profitable company.

Cons

- For better or worse, this is no longer a "startup." This comes with solid job security, and the company is massively profitable. However, advancement opportunities are infrequent.
    - Experiences vary pretty drastically from manager to manager.

Advice to Management

More opportunities for technical apprenticeship.

"Great company culture with problematic management issues"

Former Employee - Customer Support Technician in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Support Technician in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Mailchimp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Insurance benefits, maternity/paternity leave, casual work environment, no dress code (but keep it clean), open concept office, wonderful peers, fun events on the regular, amazing holiday party, extremely generous 401k bump each year, generous 8-10% bonus each year based on company performance, feminine hygiene products provided in all bathrooms, all dietary restrictions are respected and have available options in snack cabinets, medicine cabinet in every kitchen, lots of swag, very accepting team of all differences and backgrounds.

Cons

Zero communication between departments, very little communication from senior managers to their subordinates, micromanagement from managers to subordinates, little insight into the rational behind company goals, difficult to move up in the company, difficult to provide honest feedback without fear of retaliation, lower than industry average pay, only 5 days sick time a year and must provide doctor’s note after 3 consecutive days sick.

Advice to Management

Let your subordinates (especially in support) know why certain decisions are happening well before they happen and don’t foster an environment of fear. Agents are scared to be honest with management because that honesty leads to retaliation which scares other unaffected agents too. Micromanaging agents makes it difficult for them to do their jobs; plenty of people don’t believe they’re allowed to take breaks solely because of how much pressure managers put their subordinates under.

Advice for HR: please don’t advertise a person’s full package (salary+pto+paid insurance+varying end of year bonus) as their actual total compensation. All of those things are nice but when employees are told that their actual compensation is all of those commodities combined rather than money that pays rent, it just proves that MailChimp relies solely on their culture to keep people and pay them less than what they would make elsewhere.

"Mid-level leadership often just means they've been around a while"

I have been working at Mailchimp full-time

Pros

- Senior leadership genuinely care about the quality of your life (10-20% bonuses that go straight into your retirement, solid health insurance that covers whole family, decent vacation time, etc.)

- Work life balance is real and fully supported by leadership.

- Nicest people I've worked with anywhere -- hands down!

Cons

- Company seems afraid to hire outside talent for higher up roles, so a lot of director level folks are just like, 5th year seniors - hanging around, but don't actually have the leadership abilities or experience - they've just been at Mailchimp forever and everybody likes them! They are nice ppl, like everyone here, but it is really hard to do your job when your leader is basically just an individual contributor who they didn't have another job for and no one had the guts to point out that that person is not ready. It is also just really sad to watch someone struggle and fail repeatedly in a role they are not ready for and see people get promoted into director roles where you know, and everyone around them knows they are going to fail.

- Gossip. Never worked anywhere with so many whispered conversations. Feels like high school, at least in product management. Who is moving to what team? What team is going to be moved under another team? Your manager tells you that you are moving to a different team but but not to tell your teammates....then at lunch you chat with a soon to be ex- teammate and they tell you the secret their manager told them... People say "I don't know if i'm supposed to know this, but.." To me, this is a trickle down of having director level folks who are fluent in Mailchimp, but are not supported by senior leadership in getting the more training about how to lead teams.

Advice to Management

- Create new IC roles so that great individual contributors can keep moving up the ladder without being put into roles they are not trained or ready for.

- Take a look at the fear of hiring folks from outside for higher up roles. And why on earth people don't get training when they move into those roles. It's a weird, small business that has been incredibly successful but that fear of outsiders and becoming like a "big" company is still there, and slowing the company down.

- Give concrete, strategic reasons for staffing changes -- no one likes to feel like your leaders don't actually have a plan.

5. "Good place"

I worked at Mailchimp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

all the best company really fun

Cons

not really i could recall as if now

Advice to Management

not really

6. "Good place to work, great for Atlanta"

I have been working at Mailchimp full-time

Pros

Lots of exciting work opportunities, fast paced, constantly changing so you won't get bored, kind and enjoyable people to work with, well compensated especially for Atlanta. Amazing benefits, super fun place to work, great offices and an inspiring company mission. Enough autonomy and opportunity to explore things that excite you and make a name for yourself.

Cons

Going through a lot of changes so you need to be comfortable with having a different job every 6 months. Hiring lots of new leadership so opportunities can be limited. Career pathing is immature; ambiguity when it comes to how to grow and gain more responsibility in the company.

7. "Best place I've ever worked"

I worked at Mailchimp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

MailChimp earnestly cared about its employees. They invested so much time and resources into the growth of its employees. It was a fun place to work. Management was accessible, open, and willing to listen.

Cons

The open office was challenging. There were a lot of loud people which made it hard to focus on work sometimes.

Advice to Management

Always stay open to feedback and remain humble.

8. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Mailchimp full-time

Pros

Very positive culture, growing fast but doing a good job at it

Cons

Still figuring some parts of process out, different teams have very different culture sometimes

"Challenging, exciting tech company filled with genuine people."

Former Employee - Tech Support in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Tech Support in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Mailchimp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Deciding to work for MailChimp was one of the best major life decisions I've made. I was hired as a technical support agent. In that time, I was challenged and pushed to my limits, and I learned SO much. I developed an abundance of technical skills and knowledge, I became an excellent problem-solver, and my written communication skills improved. Not only that, but I also learned a lot about myself (sounds cheesy, I know.) The role was so incredibly varied that I quickly figured out what I liked and didn't like about it, and used that knowledge to figure out where I wanted to go from there. I worked hard to excel in my role, and eventually I applied for and received a promotion to do a different job that I enjoyed even more.
    That job was also challenging, but in entirely new ways, was incredibly rewarding, and solidified my idea of where I want my career to go.
    Throughout my time at MailChimp, I was always surrounded by supportive, kind people. I think that's the best part about MailChimp, even better than the generous benefits and competitive pay, the opportunities for growth & personal development, the snacks, etc.... The people are just great, and the culture allows for you to feel comfortable getting to know just about anyone, and that makes it tough to be unhappy :)

Cons

I was at MailChimp during a transitional period of fast growth and big changes, and not always for the better. There were some unpopular decisions made that affected a lot of employees -- granted, these were changes that were necessary as a result of MailChimp's unprecedented growth, but they were not always implemented smoothly, and many people felt their voices were not heard. Fortunately, MailChimp has an incredibly open culture, so I hope that people currently there continue to feel that they can voice such grievances.

Advice to Management

While I was there, I saw big improvements in top-down and cross-departmental communication. Continue to focus on that, since as the company continues to grow and spread across multiple locations, communication will likely continue to be a struggle.

"A company that treats its employees with respect"

I have been working at Mailchimp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pros:

- My wife and I both work and have a young boy to take care of. I LOVE that I work for a company that respects that. Flexible scheduling and telecommuting options have helped my wife and I respond to emergencies, game-day traffic, and winter weather.
    - Co-workers are friendly with each other, and I have developed great relationships with my fellow chimpers.
    - My co-workers are actually excited about the work they are doing, and it's contagious!
    - The leadership at MailChimp takes time to breath. In my early days here we paused business to have an open forum discussion with all employees about a national tragedy. 2 hours of paused productivity just to let their employees blow off steam. This is nothing I have ever experienced before.

Cons

- The company has added employees at a breakneck pace, it can be hard to hit a stride when there are always new employees to on-board.
    - With the number of new employees starting on a weekly basis, the organizational structure of your team can look totally different after just a few months. It can make you wonder about your place in it, and you can start to become curious about where your own growth comes from.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!