MailChimp Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

MailChimp Founder/CEO Ben Chestnut
Ben Chestnut

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "The company is growing fast, and like any growing business, things can change at a break-neck pace" (in 3 reviews)

• "Some of the pros I listed aren't as significant in customer support positions" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Best place I've ever worked"

I worked at MailChimp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

MailChimp earnestly cared about its employees. They invested so much time and resources into the growth of its employees. It was a fun place to work. Management was accessible, open, and willing to listen.

Cons

The open office was challenging. There were a lot of loud people which made it hard to focus on work sometimes.

Advice to Management

Always stay open to feedback and remain humble.

2. "Great place to work"

I have been working at MailChimp full-time

Pros

Very positive culture, growing fast but doing a good job at it

Cons

Still figuring some parts of process out, different teams have very different culture sometimes

"Challenging, exciting tech company filled with genuine people."

Former Employee - Tech Support in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Tech Support in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at MailChimp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Deciding to work for MailChimp was one of the best major life decisions I've made. I was hired as a technical support agent. In that time, I was challenged and pushed to my limits, and I learned SO much. I developed an abundance of technical skills and knowledge, I became an excellent problem-solver, and my written communication skills improved. Not only that, but I also learned a lot about myself (sounds cheesy, I know.) The role was so incredibly varied that I quickly figured out what I liked and didn't like about it, and used that knowledge to figure out where I wanted to go from there. I worked hard to excel in my role, and eventually I applied for and received a promotion to do a different job that I enjoyed even more.
    That job was also challenging, but in entirely new ways, was incredibly rewarding, and solidified my idea of where I want my career to go.
    Throughout my time at MailChimp, I was always surrounded by supportive, kind people. I think that's the best part about MailChimp, even better than the generous benefits and competitive pay, the opportunities for growth & personal development, the snacks, etc.... The people are just great, and the culture allows for you to feel comfortable getting to know just about anyone, and that makes it tough to be unhappy :)

Cons

I was at MailChimp during a transitional period of fast growth and big changes, and not always for the better. There were some unpopular decisions made that affected a lot of employees -- granted, these were changes that were necessary as a result of MailChimp's unprecedented growth, but they were not always implemented smoothly, and many people felt their voices were not heard. Fortunately, MailChimp has an incredibly open culture, so I hope that people currently there continue to feel that they can voice such grievances.

Advice to Management

While I was there, I saw big improvements in top-down and cross-departmental communication. Continue to focus on that, since as the company continues to grow and spread across multiple locations, communication will likely continue to be a struggle.

"A company that treats its employees with respect"

I have been working at MailChimp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pros:

- My wife and I both work and have a young boy to take care of. I LOVE that I work for a company that respects that. Flexible scheduling and telecommuting options have helped my wife and I respond to emergencies, game-day traffic, and winter weather.
    - Co-workers are friendly with each other, and I have developed great relationships with my fellow chimpers.
    - My co-workers are actually excited about the work they are doing, and it's contagious!
    - The leadership at MailChimp takes time to breath. In my early days here we paused business to have an open forum discussion with all employees about a national tragedy. 2 hours of paused productivity just to let their employees blow off steam. This is nothing I have ever experienced before.

Cons

- The company has added employees at a breakneck pace, it can be hard to hit a stride when there are always new employees to on-board.
    - With the number of new employees starting on a weekly basis, the organizational structure of your team can look totally different after just a few months. It can make you wonder about your place in it, and you can start to become curious about where your own growth comes from.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

5. "Customer support technician"

I worked at MailChimp full-time

Pros

It’s a lot of things I can say about this company. One thing in particular is that I miss my co-workers. Some of the most interesting, intelligent and beautiful souls are employed here. Get to know your coworkers as they can be a lifeline.

Cons

Management could be a lot better and should consider employees when making big decisions that could affect them.

6. "Excellent Company"

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at MailChimp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great work environment, they take really good care of us

Cons

There are no cons here

7. "I love it here"

Current Employee - Customer Support Technician
    Current Employee - Customer Support Technician

I have been working at MailChimp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The C-level guys are still down to Earth and genuinely care about their employees & it shows.

Cons

None. This place is wonderful and I hope it only ever changes for the better.

Advice to Management

Keep listening hard <3

"Technical Support"

Former Employee - Technical Support in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Technical Support in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at MailChimp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual culture with a very comfortable work space. Good pay and lots of small benefits; stocked snacks, office parties/events, tons of swag, etc.

Cons

Mailchimp suffers from a major Culture of Nice: disagreement and debate are frowned upon. Frequently no one is willing to rock the boat or challenge the status quo.

Additionally, for many years the company was fantastic for internal growth and many of the higher ranked members will mention how they started entry level and moved up. With the recent growth explosion, this is no longer the case; the company now looks externally for talent rather than internally, and a lot of the previous expectations of what it takes to move up no longer apply.

Advice to Management

Take a look in the mirror and understand that while the company is great it's no longer the spunky start-up it once was. Transparency with employees will be required to not become just another employment mill at the lower levels.

"So much growth"

Current Employee - Customer Support Technician in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Support Technician in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at MailChimp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing benefits, 401k options, work from home flexibility, and a great company culture.

Cons

I would say the work from home options could be greater, but that's in the process now. Right now, Support has designated work from home days and flexibility in the event of emergencies, illnesses, etc. We'd love to see more completely remote options.

Advice to Management

I would love to see more completely remote options available.

"Not the company it used to be"

Current Employee - Designer in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Designer in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at MailChimp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really talented group of people. Great benefits and great product. If feels good to work for a company that's making something that benefits others. They also support a lot of local organizations and are proud to be from Atlanta (even though they just opened offices in Brooklyn and SF)

Cons

I'm sure in some departments this is a dream job, but the design team is a mess. No one is direct and honest about feedback. There is no career growth.. Every issue is solved by creating 10 more issues that weren't there from the beginning. They also don't trust the in house team with any large projects and have started to outsource A LOT. There is a lot of under utilized talent that work here.

Advice to Management

listen hard!!