Magellan Health Senior Care Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Find jobs for Senior Care Manager

Magellan Health Senior Care Manager Reviews

Updated 13 Feb 2019

3.7
Magellan Health CEO Barry Smith (no image)
Barry Smith

"Comparing two companies"

I worked at Magellan Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Having worked for Magellan and now in my current role at another similar company, I can say, Magellan tried hard. If there’s a reward for company who tried the hardest, I would give it to Magellan. I witnessed so many new CEOs come and go; VP’s come and go. They cashed in and left. Sad. I have no clue what Magellan is like now, but I hope it’s better. The company I work for now is super. Well organized, great IT... and hardware to work with. Solid processes in place. People get things done. Sadly, when I left Magellan, it was frustrating because policies and procedures kept changing. Hopefully, they are more settled now. I still have great friends from there, still working and nothing negative to say! I hope Magellan makes it! Lots of great memories! Awesome quarterly bonuses and annual raises!

Cons

Lots of change. High turnover in management and executives

Advice to Management

Affordable health plans, real work life balance( Magellan always did a good job w/ this) year survey is a must. You really need to hear from your employees

Magellan Health2019-02-13
  2. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Care Manager in Fairfax, VA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Magellan Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Health insurance benefits and good

Cons

Slow response from the HR department as lack of coordination between remote workers and the corporate office.

Advice to Management

Improve communication between hr department

Magellan Health2018-04-26

"Would not recommend this company at this location to my worse enemy"

I worked at Magellan Health full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Decent amount of vacation time if you get to schedule it. Co-workers were top notch & dedicated but undervalued.

Cons

They re-vamped our entire work structure for the worse & laid off the people who understood the system. Many left. The end result is primarily a system that not only doesn't work but takes 2-3 times longer to complete tasks with little accuracy. Employees treated like factory workers w/masters degrees, working 10-12 hours daily, no overtime pay and hard to get the time off when you want it. Daily confusion &... frustration because management does not know what they are doing and therefore can't train new comers. Not supportive of employees. Little room for advancement or changing your position.

Advice to Management

In your effort to save money, you have to be losing money & clients. Re-think your processes and streamline them. Train your supervisors and trainers. Be radical and start listening to the needs of your employees if you a) don't want to lose the ones you have left, b) expect to keep new hires and c) expect to keep and attract new business (I assume that's a goal you have).

Magellan Health2017-09-13

"good pay, good benefits, demoralizing environment the last few years"

I worked at Magellan Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

good benefits and good salary

Cons

not feeling valued by supervisor

Advice to Management

appreciate employees

Magellan Health2016-09-21

"Good company overall, lack of medical experience is hurting them in Medicaid contracting"

Current Employee - Senior Care Manager in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time

Pros

I've been with Magellan for over 9 years. Good benefits, good PTO, health insurance has been good. Pretty flexible with schedule and accommodating sick time for kids, etc. After 20 years, we lost our Medicaid contract when Iowa restructured it's Medicaid contract and we were not selected in the RFP process. Too bad, but the fact is, Magellan was not established enough in the medical realm (focus has always been... on behavioral health niche) to get the contract. New contracts are always difficult, so don't put too much stock in naysayers who are in a new role involving a new company/contract. Our focus, at least in my state contract, has always been what's in the best interest of our members/clients. I hope that focus can continue as the world changes and dollars become more scarce. We worked very hard to do the right thing and help the people who wanted help to get it, and did our best to get the people who didn't want to do anything for themselves the resources to help them change their perspective to get the help that they needed.

Cons

As in any corporate, stock driven situation, money is the driving force from the top down. You will see this pretty much anywhere in managed care. Sometimes decisions are made in "corporate" that are attempts to save money, when a better solution could have been implemented months or years earlier through IT changes, or more well defined guidelines/processes and better provider relations/education. You may find... yourself "overworked" when part of your team is on PTO, or on maternity leave and there are not enough "per need" (PRN) staff available to fill in the gaps. Traditionally, hiring has been an issue (can take months to fill an open position) and I don't think marketing is aggressive enough in that department. They rely too much on word of mouth and internal referrals for prospective employees. This is hard on staff when a team is short by a person or two on a team of 5 to 8 people. All of that aside, in my location, and on my teams (I've been in 3 different departments/teams in my 9 years), my co-workers and overall, my direct supervisors have been fantastic and all work to cover each others' backs and help each other out. I think the difficult part, as I stated initially, is the stock driven money, component. Right now, as our contract is ending, I believe the bean counters and the corporate higher ups have been very very slow in considering giving us the resources we need to finish out the end of our contract without doing a disservice to our members. I am disappointed by (at least my perceived) lack of support and really did not expect it.

Advice to Management

1) Recognize your limitations and the reality of a situation. Magellan does not have enough experience in the medical arena to "create it" and expect to win contracts against companies who do have that experience. The mental health/behavioral component is a small piece of the pie, comparatively. Merge/acquire/partner with someone the next time you attempt to bid for a comprehensive contract. Don't take your... relationships in a state for granted and assume that's going to be enough. It's not. 2) Maintain your reputation for future gain. Don't let contracts that did not get renewed go south in a hand-basket because you want to save a handful of dollars ($7 million for example). Give the people who are trying their best to do what is right for their clients (and the company) what they need in order to do the right thing. 3) Prior to losing a contract: When a front line employee brings an issue to his/her supervisor and says "this is going to be a problem, we need to correct it", you should actually look into the situation, plan ahead, and make the correction that is needed. Don't wait for it to become a "crisis" 2 1/2 years later and then determine that the solution is for front line, masters level staff to do 20% more data entry work to "correct" the problem. That is not an efficient use of resources. 4) This is for any management, anywhere. Just because a person is a good "X", doesn't mean that person will be a good "Y". Don't shortchange your employees or candidates, based on an imperfect technology system or per-determined system of qualifications that is either inaccurate or ineffective when determining your next hire. 5) Establish written guidelines or policies, for just about everything you do. Make those known and accessible. Employees are generally willing to make decisions, within the parameters that are given to work with. This will free up your supervisor's/manager's time. Have those guidelines/policies accessible to people who may need to fill in for someone else at the spur of the moment. Don't rely on people to learn that information while they are training "on the job" by following/watching more established employees. Everything should have a procedure, even exceptions to procedure. Create a training manual. Use it. Update it. Pay for the staff needed to do that. 6) Increase marketing for open positions. Don't save $34,000 at the expensive of burning out your already hired/trained/functioning employees.

Magellan Health2015-10-23
  6. "mostly good experience"

Current Employee - Senior Care Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Feel like I'm making a difference. Good pay for social services field. Good benefits. Great relationships are built. There is a good value system and the St. Louis office makes a point of giving back. Good succession planning program. Flexible regarding needing to take time off.

Cons

No opportunity for growth unless you are part of the "in" crowd. Promotion is based more on personal preference rather than ability to lead. Thus, some of the middle management lacks good management skills and sometimes good work ethic.

Advice to Management

Promotion should be more objective and less subjective. Based on ability to lead, quality of work and experience.

Magellan Health2015-01-17
  7. "Overall, it was a good opportunity and experience."

Former Employee - Care Manager Senior in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at Magellan Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

There were many people who worked there for many years who had a lot of knowledge. Also, there was a lot of effort put in to keep the energy and morale high.

Cons

Often co-workers were too busy on phones to help you when you needed help with clinical case questions.

Advice to Management

Management needed to stay focus on a strategy, it changed too often and care managers were caught in the middle. Unfortunately, this location is no longer open.

Magellan Health2014-09-08

"Good for Awhile Then Poor Work Atmosphere"

Former Employee - Senior Care Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Magellan Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Decent salary and pleasant co--workers

Cons

unreasonable workload; toxic supervisors; work environment is not supportive

Advice to Management

Treat employees better

Magellan Health2014-06-07
  9. "Clinical Social Worker, Care management, MH intake and concurrent reviews"

Current Employee - Senior Care Manager in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

salary and benefits are better than average in this area...

Cons

the company seems to want to shed the MH MCO business and is scrimping on hiring and especially in supporting current staff

Advice to Management

If you want to sell off the MCO MH piece, be upfront with staff instead of letting us suffer in silence in wondering about our future with the company....it appears that you want us gone... we are the backbone that you built the corporation on...

Magellan Health2014-05-26

"Not a good place to work"

Former Employee - Care Manager Senior in Miami, FL

I worked at Magellan Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good overtime pay and vacation time

Cons

Management was abusive and not interested in employees.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

Magellan Health2014-01-11