MEC "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

MEC Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 9 May 2018

3.3
MEC CEO Tim Castree
Tim Castree
Pros
  • "MEC has great people and a clear vision for the future(in 28 reviews)

• "Work from home up to 2 days a week and great flexibility around work life balance(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • "berstunden - Work-Life Balance muss optimiert werden(in 31 reviews)

• "Pressure to answer to your clients and sometimes long hours(in 30 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Assitant Planner"

I worked at MEC full-time

Pros

- Cool Perks - Fun at times - Good people

Cons

- HORRIBLE WORK LIFE BALANCE

Advice to Management

Improve hours please

MEC2018-05-09
  2. "Digital Investment Manager"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at MEC full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company culture is inclusive and fun

Cons

Not great work life balance

MEC2017-11-04
  3. "merchandiser for hardgoods"

Current Employee - Product Merchandiser in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at MEC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

quality products and some great people ok work life balance

Cons

not a lot of growth opportunity within the job. Poor communication around organizational changes. Lack of respect for history and long term employees. Ageism No pension

Advice to Management

Accountability for problems should be with senior managers not shunted off to mid level employees. Treat people with respect and respect the history that long term employees have done for the company.

MEC2017-08-30
  4. "Overworked and underpaid: forget about your private life"

Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England

I have been working at MEC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Mostly standard stuff that all companies offer: holiday, pension, season ticket loan. Nothing to get too excited about.

Cons

Standard office hours mean nothing to MEC. You are expected to be on call 24x7. Even the CEO sent an all-company email saying he expects us to check emails evening and weekends in case clients have any work to be done. If you go on holiday it's expected that you take your laptop and check-in every day. (I was even asked by my manager to attend a conference call, because there was nobody else to cover whilst I was away). In short, it's a terrible company to work for and you will have zero work life balance.

Advice to Management

Stress levels are high and people are unhappy. Reduce the workload, or face more problems to come.

MEC2017-06-12
  5. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at MEC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great workplace & peers and team culture, people are generally laid back and really helpful. Work from home up to 2 days a week and great flexibility around work life balance. Funding to buy necessary equipment to work from home (monitors, keyboards, etc..) plus additional annual funding for your Thrive project (which basically means you're getting funded to do something you're passionate about, brilliant right?) Great line management and employee career progression plus focus on personal development plan which I haven't experienced in any other company. There's a great focus on the employee happiness and would definitely recommend working for MEC to anyone.

Cons

Project management and admin tools need improving.

Advice to Management

More focus on teams alignment to avoid double work and streamline processes.

MEC2017-04-30

"Planner"

I worked at MEC full-time

Pros

Got to work on a cool account--Paramount, the team joked around funny sometimes. Sometimes had good rapport. The top top level people were very kind and caring. Allowed you to work offsite if needed. Got to learn a lot.

Cons

There was no client management at all. There were too many late nights, occasional ones, sure. But it was a habit. No adops...meaning no actual expertise, it was just a bunch of fresh out of college kids trying to figure out the basics of adserving and then because of the lack of understanding in the adops space, delivering to analytics team subpar reporting. Management -- mid-level management (supervisors/directors) played favorites at the time I was there. It was blatantly obvious and also didn't really treat anyone with respect and would offend people. They kicked off all the good people on the team and moved them elsewhere or basically pushed them to leave. We had HR in the LA office after a while finally and all they cared about was doing events and team bonding--sorry HR we were already spending so much time at work and having stressful times that we don't need to be hanging out with the same people even more. We needed you guys to help make work life balance and work environment/expectations better and work with management to better manage teams.

Advice to Management

I learned a lot, good place to learn the business. But please reward those who truly work hard-play a little less politics and be kind. Empathy goes a long way, don't treat people and their responsibilities as beneath you. That will go along way and also keep team members happy.

MEC2017-04-27
  7. "Digital Analyst"

Former Employee - Digital Analyst in Sydney

I worked at MEC full-time for less than a year

Pros

Perks include lunches with advertisers Free snacks and fruit Discounts to gym

Cons

Awful work life balance - there is none The pay is peanuts No training, you're encouraged to learn on your own

MEC2017-03-19

"Mediocre Media Agency"

I worked at MEC full-time

Pros

room for growth vacation days work/life balance

Cons

under paid lack of management

Advice to Management

stop undervaluing/underpaying hard working employees.

MEC2017-02-17

"It is what you make it"

Current Employee - Manager, Hybrid in New York, NY

I have been working at MEC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to start your career, but you almost have to have a referral For the most part the people here are wonderful-- from admins to exco. The Exco make themselves approachable and most of the upper management are great leaders. I've been fortunate enough to have several directors that looked out for what was best in my career and provide great opportunities for growth. There is a good mixture of accounts with varying structure (hybrid/traditional) that allow for transfers and maximum growth. Access to planning tools and an excellent analytics team (if scoped) Culture is "work hard play hard" and encourages a work life balance (although with any agency late nights are inevitable) Resources available you wouldn't find at a smaller agency.

Cons

Management can be hit or miss. There are a fair amount of people "skating through" and if you're unlucky enough to work with these people there's not much you can do but ask for a transfer. The training opportunities are few and far between, and fill up very fast. You can easily be just a number in this company unless you make management notice you/take advantage of pitches/ training opportunities/etc. Morale recently has been very low with several large accounts leaving. Pay seems to be lower than competitor agencies. Vacation is in line with competitive agencies.

Advice to Management

Be more pro active about growth, development, and recognition at lower level. If more people felt valued as I do turnover would improve. Audit upper management. These people are the ones shaping the lower level employees.

MEC2017-02-11

"Very stressful place to work"

I worked at MEC full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice office. Subsidised bar / restaurant.

Cons

There is a feeling of being expected to work late every single night. The feeling of being judged if you dare to take a lunch hour, feeling as though you have to justify why. Extreme micro management throughout the workplace. There is no work life balance.. expect to never make a plan on a weekday evening as you will always have to cancel. It's hard to have a life outside of MEC.

Advice to Management

Please consider people's stress levels. You are losing intelligent and hard working staff because they're not prepared to work all hours of the day.

MEC2017-02-28