Kainos Employee Reviews about "kainos"

Updated Nov 3, 2021

Found 54 of over 337 reviews

4.3
Kainos Managing Director Brendan Mooney
Brendan Mooney
Pros
  • "Knowledge was first class in kainos(in 37 reviews)

• "Flexible working hours that promote a healthy work-life balance(in 20 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Absolutely none - very happy in Kainos(in 31 reviews)

• "The back-office teams in Belfast are hugely under-resourced and therefore disorganised(in 15 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "kainos"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Really good tech employer

Nov 3, 2021 - Senior Platform Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Kainos are genuinely good at what they do and seem to actually care about their employees. The salary is competitive - for Northern Ireland - at least and their are plenty of benefits.

Cons

Progression is rigid; some positions require managing staff even though they're technical - this might not suit everyone.

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company with a few areas of improvement needed

Oct 5, 2021 - Workday Consultant in Belfast, Northern Ireland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible working hours that promote a healthy work-life balance. Supportive management and friendly engaging colleagues. Suitable equipment provided for the job. Clear communication from Senior Management/ Executives.

Cons

Progression paths and development plans are not well structured; it's very complex to progress and/or move into a new role in the business. The salary for Associate/ Senior Associate level is significantly under the market rate (when compared to competitors) and the salary bands between Senior Associate and Consultant level have a major void between them. The benefits are generous but there could be more to offer e.g. re-introducing share incentives for employees OR the 'Skills for Me' offering. The above two points need to be worked on as a number of colleagues have left the business because either A) It's easier to move to a new company than it is to move internally, B) Other companies/ competitors are offering enticing salaries that Kainos DO NOT compete with. Across the last year, the culture has shifted significantly. The lack of being in the office and having work events e.g. 'Pay Day Drinks', Christmas do's, Summer BBQ etc. has slightly taken away the united feeling of the team. The company have multiple Diversity and Inclusion networks throughout the company. However, I feel that more could be done to keep employees up-to-date about the goings on of each community and how they can get involved; more internal promotion is needed.

4 people found this review helpful
    3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

It depends...

Aug 1, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

- company shares - pretty nice refer-a-friend scheme (3k pounds) - people (some of them - see cons) - employee honours program (you can get some money, cinema tickets etc. if someone nominates you)

Cons

- Kainos hires people for specific positions. As an engineer, you can find job offers for .Net, Java, machine learning, data engineering etc. Unfortunately, it doesn't mean that you will work on a project with your desired tech stack. Management can throw you in some random project with a technical stack that you didn't have a chance (and what is most important - you don't want) to work with. It can be especially seen when the entire team is made up of people with 0 prior experience with the project's stack. It feels like Kainos is okay with inexperienced people making software. This doesn't go along with Kainos saying that they support your career path. How can this be when you don't even have a chance to develop yourself in the direction that you have chosen and the company hired you for? It is especially frustrating when you can see a lot of job offers for X engineers and at the same time, they don't want to assign you to a project which uses X technology despite you asking them many times about it. Kainos says that you can request for a project change - that is true, but it doesn't mean that your next project will hit your desired (i.e. the one that the company hired you for) technical stack. What is more, changing the current project isn't a matter of weeks, but rather a matter of months. Sometimes they can just say to you that you have to stay until the end and there is nothing you can do with it. - Changes, changes and changes... One year I have changed the projects 4 times and they didn't ask me once if want to (none of these projects even touched my desired technical stack). - Kainos has some nice sounding company values, which unfortunately are only on paper. It can be seen especially now when the company is hiring a lot of people (which is really good - that shows that the company is growing). Kainos builds new teams with mostly new hires. It is impossible to appreciate these values and teach new hires about company practices, traditions if the majority of the team are newly hired people. It leads to situations where such teams are developing their own ways of working which do not go along with other teams standards. - In Kainos Senior Software Engineer position can mean anything. You can meet seniors who are fantastic professionals and at the same time, you can meet senior engineers who never heard of unit tests, design patterns, KISS, DRY, etc. Now imagine a team consisted of such specialists and add to it the fact that people are being thrown into projects with no prior experience with the project's technical stack. There is no way to develop yourself in such a case, to learn and to do some cool and quality software. It only leads to frustration at each step.

4 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Where company values aren't just a marketing exercise....

May 20, 2021 - Business Development Manager in Birmingham, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

What has impressed me most about Kainos is that the values presented are actively upheld within the company - we've all seen company websites where they talk about being responsible and co-operative but they reality is different. Since I started at Kainos, every new person I have engaged with has gone out of their way to welcome me to Kainos - asking me how I am getting on, if there is anything they can do to help me (even if they aren't directly involved in my role on a day to day basis). The benefits are good and there is a strong opportunity to progress and try new things should you want to.

Cons

No cons for me at the moment. Looking forward to meeting colleagues in person soon!

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Company Culture

May 19, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked at Kainos for almost 4 years, they really do invest in the culture, during this Global Pandemic it is easy to feel cut off from colleagues, but the company have tried and moatly got right bringing it's people together.

Cons

Sometimes can get bogged down in Processes

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A lovely company to work for with genuinely caring and fun people.

Mar 29, 2021 - Associate in Belfast, Northern Ireland
      Business Outlook

Pros

The overall culture is a fair and progressive one. Employees are treated as humans. The employee share scheme is a great initiative and sets an example for other organizations to follow. Casual dress code and flexible working hours, as well as the option to work from home makes Kainos a good employer. The impression you get is one that management genuinely does make an effort to make the company a good place to work for.

Cons

The company is growing and there are growth pains being felt in certain parts of the business. Some processes and systems are not adequate for the new work load and this can leave some staff with very time consuming and inefficient manual tasks. There can also be instances where the growth makes it clear that recruitment has not kept up with growth and teams can feel the pressure at times. Central/corporate employees have felt that they are treated differently to the rest of the business. Entertainment spend for these employees has noticeably been less than those in the BUs, as well as a feeling of overall lower pay and incentives compared to the other BUs, such as a referral payment scheme being taken away for central employees for a period of time but being kept in place for the rest of the firm. This makes central employees feel like they can , at times, be seen as purely a cost to squash and often leads to central employees leaving their roles for roles in other BUs or joining other firms.

2 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Former Intern

Brilliant team.

Jan 21, 2021 - Software Developer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Knowledge was first class in kainos

Cons

Communte to work was long and traffic was bad

8. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Very good place to work at

Oct 26, 2020 - Software Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very good working environment with supportive staff

Cons

I have no cons to comment. I enjoyed my time at Kainos

1 person found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Pandemic chaos but Kainos are strong and steady

Oct 6, 2020 - Content Designer
      Business Outlook

Pros

I joined the company in the midst of lockdown, but Kainos couldn't have made it easier for me. They shipped my kit out to me, and sorted out company induction calls and project introductions without an issue. Since joining I've seen a fantastic culture come to light, where employees are genuinely looked after and supported. Company communications are good and the CEO gives regular updates and likes to speak to people in the company at any level, not just speak through other people as I've seen many times before. The other Kainos employees are on a different level to other workplaces, everyone cares and wants to get the best out of each other. Something you don't see too often in the tech industry.

Cons

I can't comment on the office space as I'm yet to see it.

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Excellent Organisation

Aug 24, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Belfast, Northern Ireland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Look after staff, great benefits, career progression, team environment and great projects!

Cons

Absolutely none - very happy in Kainos

2 people found this review helpful