Kainos Reviews

Updated 13 Jan 2021

4.2
Kainos Managing Director Brendan Mooney (no image)
Brendan Mooney
Pros
  • "Great place to work overall with great people who are understanding of personal circumstances(in 17 reviews)

• "Flexible working hours, good company culture(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "The back-office teams in Belfast are hugely under-resourced and therefore disorganised(in 16 reviews)

• "Has grown quickly and is experiencing growing pains in Corporate teams/processes and communication but these are recognised and they plan to fix these(in 10 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Kainos full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent benefits Flexible working arrangements Top quality, talented staff

Cons

Some travel may be required, depending on location

Kainos Response

January 7, 2016Managing Director

Thanks for posting your comments. (I like your brief style of feedback!) Brendan

"Not a long term option but a stepping stone"

I worked at Kainos full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Paid vacation leave and sick leave. Vhi medical insurance. Fruit and tea/coffee in home office. Opportunities to work on customer sites. Laptop and laptop bag provided. Opportunities to go on certified training courses. Christmas parties.

Cons

Role was made redundant. Ultimately the best career advice and mentoring came from clients on customer site rather than assigned "career coaches". Wasn't supported to move to other business units or change roles. Promotion/career advancement seemed unclear for regular staff who weren't company favourites.

Kainos Response

January 6, 2016Managing Director

Thanks very much for taking the time to provide the feedback. I like the reference to 'the laptop bag' being a 'pro' - it made me smile, which I guess was the intention! In terms of promotions and career advancement I thought that it was transparent - in the first 9 months of this year 160 people have been promoted (I don't have the exact figure for those that were unsuccessful in promotion - I'm guessing no more than 20-30 people). There are regular calls for promotion recommendations - the recommendation can be made by virtually anybody in the company although it is usually from someone's career coach or their day-to-day manager. There are clear and published criteria against which people are assessed on their ability to successfully undertake the next career level. The promotion process is also supported by the career development activity - which includes a formal, documented career, talent and performance review every six months. So while this feels pretty comprehensive, it may be that it did not work perfectly for you - if that is the case, please accept my apologies. Thanks again for providing the feedback. Best wishes, Brendan

"Excellent company in which to build a career"

4.0
    Current Employee - Architect in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Kainos full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great opportunities exist for all delivery staff, enabling rapid progression from entry level positions to a varied range of roles across many industries and geographies. Very professional in dealings with customers and well respected and commended by clients. If you have a good idea, you can take it to management and it can be implemented. People are typically excellent, best I've seen in any organisation. Workplace maintains a friendly, helpful atmosphere. Lots of support around training. If you are good at what you do, that will be recognised, and you will do well. Management are approachable and listen to staff and communication flows both ways.

Cons

At times, internal admin functions are HQ-centric, slow to react, and lowest cost wins, despite the employee inconvenience or long-term aims of the company. Not sufficient diversification in projects across industries and locations for all staff at and all levels. On occasion, different BUs within the organisation work for their own good, rather than for the advancement of the company.

4. "Friendly"

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Kainos full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work environment built around learning and improvement. Very relaxed and friendly teams that encourage both personal and professional growth. Open and honest management structure giving employees a transparent view of the projects.

Cons

Not as highly paid as others in the industry

5. "They are great"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Kainos full-time

Pros

Management is very friendly and working hours are flexible

Cons

No cons experienced as of yet

6. "company focused on employees"

Current Employee - Delivery Manager

I have been working at Kainos full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

work life balance is encouraged, great leadership, decisions transparency, stock options

Cons

salary could be more competitive

7. "Great company and directors but depends on your project"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Reading, England

I worked at Kainos full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Everyone has good skills and supports you

Cons

not all projects are equal

8. COVID-19

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Kainos full-time for more than a year

Pros

Employees are treated well, especially during the pandemic. Dedicated graduate training with a look to empower new grads to contribute to projects.

Cons

None I can think of.

"Excellent company to work for"

Current Employee - Manager in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Kainos full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexibility, communication, rewarding, everyone treated the same, great place to work

Cons

Historically make dominated, but trying to change that

10. COVID-19

"Great employer, really cares about staff wellbeing and job satisfaction"

Current Employee - IT Senior Consultant in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Kainos full-time

Pros

Staff share save scheme. Share Incentive Programme. Diverse benefits package. Team members work "with" their managers not "for" them. Exec team take time to listen to & action employee feedback.

Cons

Only con I can think of would be that pre-covid travel could be a bit intensive at times. However, the new normal is likely to entail more WFH and customers requiring less on-site presence than before.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 172 English Reviews