John Lewis & Partners Reviews
68% would recommend to a friend
(3981 total reviews)
82% approve of CEO
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Poor management and lack of engagement." (in 221 reviews)
- "Too many managers in head office and not enough positions below." (in 193 reviews)
- "Long hours and weekend shifts to cover late night and weekend store opening hours but to be expected for retail." (in 138 reviews)
- "Low salaries and bonus not what it once was." (in 48 reviews)
- "No career progression at all" (in 41 reviews)
Found 3,981 of over 4K reviews
Updated 4 Dec 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- 1.06 Oct 2017Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee
They are very focused on building strong teams, lots of fun ways to keep you engaged in the job
Not for people who like to stay physical and active during the day.
- 4.013 Nov 2023Sales AssistantFormer Employee, less than 1 yearBristol, England
Lovely staff, straight forward tasks, once you know what you are doing it gets easier as you do it, care a lot about how you are feeling! I worked in Bristol cribbs causeway John Lewis and they had a big cafeteria and nice food, a quiet room, and a worship room for when you were on break. It’s nice to know the company cares about you.
There are a lot of positive things the only cons i would say are when I worked there in December 2022 as a Christmas temp they couldn’t keep anyone on permanently after if they were good at the job due to financial issues etc which I was gutted about as I really enjoyed working there! And on the job training was okay but didn’t give me enough time to get my head round how to work things but you get used to what you are doing and how things work!
- 1.07 Sept 2023Home Design StylistFormer Employee, more than 3 years
- Up to £695 of free clothing per year (limited brands) in personal stylist/ home design stylist roles - Some of the people are decent (but most have jumped ship) - Sometimes free lunches over Christmas - Free fruit?
- No HR team - Zero support for disabled/neurodivergent individuals - Any attempt at diversity and inclusion is performative at best and at worst down right toxic - Zero career progression - Will work you into the ground for insultingly little pay - No incentive to go above and beyond as the reward for underperforming staff is the same as outstanding staff - No work life balance - Most staff facilities are 'broken' (or purposefully switched off to save money under the guise of 'broken'), including coffee machines, lifts, escalators, work phones, shredders, microwaves etc etc - A totalitarian approach to sickness - Management is SHOCKING - Total disregard for talent retention - Will do a 180 degree turn on strategy so often and poorly it'll give you whiplash - If you experience any kind of sexual harassment it will not be taken seriously. - This place made me so stressed and mentally unwell that I started loosing hair, had multiple burnout episodes, and required therapy. 6 months out and it's like I was never mentally ill.7
- 2.01 Nov 2023Selling AssistantFormer Employee, more than 8 yearsKingston upon Thames, England
Discount, lovely colleagues and lovely customers majority customers age 50+
Management do not listen do not protect you. Instead they will carry on supporting rude managers who will humiliate you right in front of customers!! Esp ground floor extremely freezing in winter too hot one can faint in summer on the top Mment won't listen to partners or customers. Loud out treatment:You are just number your say doesn't matter!!2
- 3.02 Dec 2023PartnerFormer EmployeeAberdeen, Scotland
Great salary, good hours, pleasant atmosphere.
Nasty customers, not neurodiversity-affirming. Avoid if autistic.
John Lewis & Partners Reviews FAQs
John Lewis & Partners has an overall rating of 3.8 out of 5, based on over 4,308 reviews left anonymously by employees. 68% of employees would recommend working at John Lewis & Partners to a friend and 44% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.
68% of John Lewis & Partners employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated John Lewis & Partners 3.5 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.7 for culture and values and 3.2 for career opportunities.