John Hancock "good benefits" Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

John Hancock Employee Reviews about "good benefits"

Updated Nov 7, 2019

3.8
John Hancock CEO Marianne Harrison
Marianne Harrison
Cons

Reviews about "good benefits"

Return to all Reviews

"No room for growth"

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at John Hancock full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours Great benefits Good Training

Cons

Below average Pay Bad management

John Hancock2019-11-07

"Flexible, but very adequate"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at John Hancock full-time for more than a year

Pros

Super flexible, great work/life balance. Fitness reimbursement available. Good benefits overall. Volunteering actually encouraged, lots of "extracurricular" opportunities. The people I've come across are kind and genuine.

Cons

There is a large attitude of "adequacy" at the company. People do just enough and somehow it meets expectations. There is no real upwards mobility, and promotions/pay increases are rare occurrences. People saunter in at 10am and leave the office at 3:59pm, or they just "work from home". A lot of the training/up skilling opportunities are empty offers, and don't truly allow you to develop in your career because there... are no available opportunities to apply them afterwards.

Advice to Management

Compensate your people appropriately, but also hire talent that exceeds expectations - not just meets them. Recognize engagement scores are extremely low, and LISTEN to employees and their ideas about how to address this problem.

John Hancock2019-08-29
  3. "I liked working at John Hancock"

Former Employee - Project Director

I worked at John Hancock full-time for more than a year

Pros

They have good benefits and salaries.

Cons

There wasn't a lot of collaboration. Not a team environment.

John Hancock2019-02-18
  4. "CSR"

I have been working at John Hancock full-time

Pros

Good benefits, workplace flexibility

Cons

Little or no room for movement, stressful environment

John Hancock2018-12-15

"Great benefits and great opportunity - as long as you don't have an invisible disability"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Boston, MA

I worked at John Hancock full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Good pay (they always tried to at the very least match the market) -Great benefits (good PTO packages even for new hires) -Mentoring available if sought out -Always learning

Cons

-Typical big corporation culture where the bottom line matters more than the employees -Accommodating to people with visible disability, but not invisible (I wasn't even allowed to tell HR what my condition was because they "didn't want to know" - I was fired illegally after the company put me in a position where I could no longer receive necessary medical treatment due to running out of PTO. They were unwilling to... help me by creating a reasonable flexible schedule, which my new employer did without hesitation)

Advice to Management

Help all of your employees, both able and disabled - and disabled includes both visible and invisible disabilities. Let your employees talk to HR about serious employment concerns, especially if they related to health.

John Hancock2018-11-01

"Underwriting"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at John Hancock full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Loved my team mates & first 3 managers. Was very proud to work for the company. Good benefits & PTO. Felt the company was honest & focused on the long-term rather than a "quick buck".

Cons

Continuously heavy workload that went on for years. Burned-out, but that would even have been OK if I hadn't been moved to another team with a very difficult manager. Tried to work it out with upper management, but was not given the option to move to a different team. Had to leave, but it was a tough decision to make.

Advice to Management

Sometimes people's personalities & work-styles clash. Give them an opportunity to move elsewhere in the department if differences can't be resolved. It's not always "shifting a problem elsewhere". Be more prepared to adjust staffing to workload.

John Hancock2018-08-28

"Great place to work but stuck in old times"

I have been working at John Hancock full-time

Pros

Great culture, they do great things for the local community, good benefits

Cons

Many processes are stuck in the Stone Age and slow workflow and productivity.

John Hancock2018-02-13

"Network"

Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at John Hancock for more than 10 years

Pros

Decent pay and good benefits. Great teammates, and great location in the heart of Boston

Cons

Bad culture, no mentors for growth ie no focus on staff development,

Advice to Management

Change the culture by adopting more like an agile culture where people are not afraid to fail.

John Hancock2018-01-12

"Be aware of the lies"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at John Hancock full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is a cafeteria serving food, its definitely not the best, but if you're running late and couldn't pack your lunch (since you only have 30 minute lunches and theres nothing close enough) it will do in a pinch. The in-office gym is very nice and they do offer good benefits.

Cons

A lot of lying. They will tell you ANYTHING in the interview to make it seem like a good fit for you and a great company culture. Instead, you will receive a lot of lies. There micromanaging is off the charts with how strict it is... you are allowed 15 minutes per day to use the bathroom, can't take a personal phone call for emergencies, are judge on everything down to the slightest, smallest, tiniest mistake, and... you are given no flex time for traffic or anything else in the morning. If you are one minute late, you will get written up for a tardy. This is a very elementary school place and they can and will treat you like a school child again.

Advice to Management

Be honest when interviewing. No one likes to be stuck in a job they hate and you send too much time and money training employees, it's unfortunate so many leave so early.

John Hancock2018-02-02

"Good Company - Mediocre Company Culture"

Customer Service Representative in Boston, MA

I worked at John Hancock for more than a year

Pros

-Great Benefits - Good people for the most part and very understanding of the work/life balance - Opportunity to make lots of money

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth unless you really put yourself out there. At least in my experience, unless you straight up ask for a promotion you're not getting one. Hard work and consistency isn't enough.

Advice to Management

Notice employees hard work and ask them where they see themselves with the company. Would create less turnover among younger employees

John Hancock2017-11-20