John Hancock Employee Reviews about "good benefits"

Updated 7 Nov 2019

3.9
John Hancock President and CEO Marianne Harrison
Marianne Harrison
Cons

Reviews about "good benefits"

Return to all Reviews

"No room for growth"

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at John Hancock full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours Great benefits Good Training

Cons

Below average Pay Bad management

"Flexible, but very adequate"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at John Hancock full-time for more than a year

Pros

Super flexible, great work/life balance. Fitness reimbursement available. Good benefits overall. Volunteering actually encouraged, lots of "extracurricular" opportunities. The people I've come across are kind and genuine.

Cons

There is a large attitude of "adequacy" at the company. People do just enough and somehow it meets expectations. There is no real upwards mobility, and promotions/pay increases are rare occurrences. People saunter in at 10am and leave the office at 3:59pm, or they just "work from home". A lot of the training/up skilling opportunities are empty offers, and don't truly allow you to develop in your career because there are no available opportunities to apply them afterwards.

September 11, 2019Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your review. We are sorry to hear you are not having the best experience with us. If you wish to follow up further, please email TalentAcquisition@jhancock.com.

3. "I liked working at John Hancock"

Former Employee - Project Director

I worked at John Hancock full-time for more than a year

Pros

They have good benefits and salaries.

Cons

There wasn't a lot of collaboration. Not a team environment.

February 19, 2019Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are happy to hear you had a positive experience.

4. "CSR"

2.0

I have been working at John Hancock full-time

Pros

Good benefits, workplace flexibility

Cons

Little or no room for movement, stressful environment

December 21, 2018Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your review. We are sorry to hear you did not have the best experience with us. If you wish to follow up further, please email TalentAcquisition@jhancock.com.

"Great benefits and great opportunity - as long as you don't have an invisible disability"

2.0
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Boston, MA

I worked at John Hancock full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Good pay (they always tried to at the very least match the market) -Great benefits (good PTO packages even for new hires) -Mentoring available if sought out -Always learning

Cons

-Typical big corporation culture where the bottom line matters more than the employees -Accommodating to people with visible disability, but not invisible (I wasn't even allowed to tell HR what my condition was because they "didn't want to know" - I was fired illegally after the company put me in a position where I could no longer receive necessary medical treatment due to running out of PTO. They were unwilling to help me by creating a reasonable flexible schedule, which my new employer did without hesitation)

November 2, 2018Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are sorry to hear you did not have the best experience with us. If you wish to follow up further, please email TalentAcquisition@jhancock.com.

"Underwriting"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at John Hancock full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Loved my team mates & first 3 managers. Was very proud to work for the company. Good benefits & PTO. Felt the company was honest & focused on the long-term rather than a "quick buck".

Cons

Continuously heavy workload that went on for years. Burned-out, but that would even have been OK if I hadn't been moved to another team with a very difficult manager. Tried to work it out with upper management, but was not given the option to move to a different team. Had to leave, but it was a tough decision to make.

August 30, 2018Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your review and providing feedback.

"Great place to work but stuck in old times"

4.0

I have been working at John Hancock full-time

Pros

Great culture, they do great things for the local community, good benefits

Cons

Many processes are stuck in the Stone Age and slow workflow and productivity.

February 14, 2018Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing a review! We are happy to hear your experience has been positive.

"Network"

Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at John Hancock for more than 10 years

Pros

Decent pay and good benefits. Great teammates, and great location in the heart of Boston

Cons

Bad culture, no mentors for growth ie no focus on staff development,

January 15, 2018Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for writing a review. If you would like to discuss your experience further, please contact us at TalentAcquisition@jhancock.com.

"Be aware of the lies"

1.0
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at John Hancock full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is a cafeteria serving food, its definitely not the best, but if you're running late and couldn't pack your lunch (since you only have 30 minute lunches and theres nothing close enough) it will do in a pinch. The in-office gym is very nice and they do offer good benefits.

Cons

A lot of lying. They will tell you ANYTHING in the interview to make it seem like a good fit for you and a great company culture. Instead, you will receive a lot of lies. There micromanaging is off the charts with how strict it is... you are allowed 15 minutes per day to use the bathroom, can't take a personal phone call for emergencies, are judge on everything down to the slightest, smallest, tiniest mistake, and you are given no flex time for traffic or anything else in the morning. If you are one minute late, you will get written up for a tardy. This is a very elementary school place and they can and will treat you like a school child again.

February 7, 2018Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are sorry to hear you did not have the best experience with us. If you wish to follow up further, please email TalentAcquisition@jhancock.com.

"Good Company - Mediocre Company Culture"

4.0
    Customer Service Representative in Boston, MA

I worked at John Hancock for more than a year

Pros

-Great Benefits - Good people for the most part and very understanding of the work/life balance - Opportunity to make lots of money

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth unless you really put yourself out there. At least in my experience, unless you straight up ask for a promotion you're not getting one. Hard work and consistency isn't enough.

November 28, 2017Head of Talent Acquisition

We appreciate your honest feedback, thank you for writing a review. We are thrilled to know you had a positive experience with us.

Found 59 reviews