JetBlue "travel benefits" Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

JetBlue Employee Reviews about "travel benefits"

Updated 9 Dec 2019

3.8
JetBlue President/CEO Robin Hayes
Robin Hayes
Pros
Cons
  • "A lot of down time in between flights and that prompts the drama among crewmembers(in 47 reviews)

• "Low "top out" for senior hourly employees compared to major airlines(in 42 reviews)

Reviews about "travel benefits"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Not bad"

Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Long Beach, CA

I worked at JetBlue full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great team members. Travel benefits

Cons

Salary. Not paid for all the time you work

Advice to Management

None

JetBlue2019-12-09
  2. "Great Starting Position in Industry"

Current Employee - Airport Operations Crew Member in Boston, MA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at JetBlue full-time for more than a year

Pros

travel benefits, ability to customize schedule (after 90 days), community involvement opportunities

Cons

starting pay, long hours during inclement weather

JetBlue2019-10-21
  3. "Reservations Crew Member"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at JetBlue part-time for less than a year

Pros

Travel benefits and was able to meet many great people.

Cons

Required overtime during irregular operations due to weather.

JetBlue2019-10-27
  4. "Great Benefits"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tampa, FL

I worked at JetBlue part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

PTO, travel benefits, flexible schedule

Cons

working holidays required until gaining security

JetBlue2019-09-13
  5. "My view"

Current Employee - Customer Support Supervisor in Orlando, FL

I have been working at JetBlue full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

great travel benefits, peers and culture

Cons

work life balance can be a challenge in certain parts of the year due to the nature of geography in which jetblue flies

Advice to Management

reactive communication

JetBlue2019-07-30

"Not what it used to be"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at JetBlue full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Travel Benefits, good pay, 401K match 5%, college degree program,

Cons

Zero work/life balance, culture is taking a serious negative turn, the more you climb the ladder the worse you are treated.

JetBlue2019-07-21

"Challenger Brand in Competitive Industry"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Long Island City, NY

I have been working at JetBlue full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've never worked at a company quite like this one- culture is very, very, very important here, and it's at the heart of how the company operates. Anyone who enjoys aviation, or working for a challenger brand/disruptor, will love it here. It'll behoove any candidate to have a passion for working in aviation, and be serious about working with the customer in mind. The company is fairly young (19 years old) and still has a bit of a "startup" feel to it. Especially in the US Airline industry, 19 is YOUNG in a landscape that's littered with entrenched legacy carriers and tons of mergers, bankruptcies and acquisitions. This puts JetBlue in a bit of a "disruptor" position which lends to a lot of interesting work opportunities on the corporate side. There's no shortage of projects to work on, and different things for technologists to sink their teeth into. It's definitely a job you can "live, eat and breathe." Those who are passionate about the industry will find plenty of ways, even in corporate roles, to get involved in/have an impact on the operation itself. There's a stress on the idea that corporate folk aren't just relegated to their desks, they're encouraged to step down from the "ivory tower" and rub shoulders with crewmembers in the operation. The company itself has a good "soul" as corny as that is to say. Our mission is to "inspire humanity" which sounds odd coming from an airline, but I've watched several times as that mission has come to life before mine (and my coworker's) eyes. Whether it was getting a daughter on a last-minute flight to see her mother before she passed, or volunteering on the ground in the wake of Hurricane Maria, you can see that the fabric of the work the company performs does bring back some humanity into our world. I love telling people I work for JetBlue because it's rare that I'll ever hear a negative sentiment from them about the company, which I don't think would be the case if I was working for one of the other major US carriers. The flight (and related travel) benefits are unreal, if you take the time to learn how to use them properly. You truly can use them to see the world for next to nothing. View them as part of your benefits/compensation package, it's no secret that pay overall in the airline industry isn't great, but if you put those travel bennies to use, you'll be making up that 20-30% salary increase you'd see in other industries. Besides the flight benefits, the rest of the benefits package is definitely satisfactory from my point of view. Health insurance has some sticker shock on the deductible level, but the HRA offered by the company (if used correctly) can effectively reduce that deductible down to a few hundred dollars in out-of-pocket cost. The 401K can be very lucrative as well, with the company providing as much as 10% of your annual salary in contributions. Compensation is, I'd say, in line with the rest of the industry. Don't come here (or to any airline) and expect to make bags of money in a salaried position. Cost control in this industry is tight. If cash compensation is your primary driver in choosing where you work, you may end up happier outside the airline industry.

Cons

As a whole, my only true qualm is the lack of work-life balance, which takes shape in a few different ways. Most of the work-life balance challenges I've seen are really just centered around the 24/7 criticality of airline operations. Those who work in IT support positions for operational systems should be used to on-call life. IT leadership has recently committed to re-engineering systems and processes to reduce the 3am phone calls and crisis bridges, which is great, but it's not likely that will ever disappear completely. Those who don't play a role in supporting operational systems should still be used to working overnights and off hours. Deployments and system maintenance are done overnight or on weekends to reduce operational impact. To most who've worked in IT, this isn't anything special, but my in division specifically (IT Infrastructure) this is made less tolerable by the fact that leadership doesn't seem to value flexible working arrangements. There's been many times I've worked an overnight or a 16 hour day deploying something, and still been encouraged to show up at the office at 9am. Very rarely am I offered "comp time" for working outside normal business hours. The company has a flexible work arrangement (FWA) policy allowing employees to create work-from-home agreements, or adjust work hours, but leadership is highly restrictive on who gets approved for these, and how they can be used. Most folks, if they do have an FWA in place, are restricted to at most 1 work from home day per week. This restrictiveness around work from home agreements and "comp time" is, as far as I can tell, not the company norm, and really only exists on the Infrastructure side of IT. Lastly, work-life balance is made difficult by a pretty abysmal PTO package. FT crewmembers only accrue 17 total days of PTO in their first year, which would sound okay if it weren't for the fact that this also includes sick/personal time. The company also only has 6 paid holidays each year, I was gobsmacked when I learned I'd have to use PTO to get off on Christmas Eve. PTO accrual bumps up slightly at the start of year 2, but doesn't really reach a level I'd call "fair" until year 5. In the company's defense, our PTO program is currently under review, and early signs point to a generous increase, so hopefully this will become a non-issue in the near future.

Advice to Management

Install leaders that are ready to live the values, and trust the crewmembers underneath them.

JetBlue2019-05-14
  8. "Outstanding but exhausting with back to back calls sometimes 600+ waiting."

Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Orlando, FL

I have been working at JetBlue part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexibility, Travel benefits. Great management leadership.

Cons

Call volume, duration of call volume.

Advice to Management

Hire more staff , make web chat permanent and weekly.

JetBlue2019-05-07
  9. "Company is 4*but admin in DR is 1*"

Current Employee - Airport Operations in Santo Domingo

I have been working at JetBlue part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Travel benefits Flying paying the taxes for international flights

Cons

Pretty low salary in DR The Local Admins, specially the CEO in the country is not well prepared and nor a good profesional. He is against anyone who is growing in the company.

Advice to Management

Changing Management. And making sure they help people growing up instead of pushing them down.

JetBlue2019-05-05
  10. "Good company"

Current Employee - Airport Operations Crew Member

I have been working at JetBlue part-time for more than a year

Pros

Travel Benefits are great to have. Free

Cons

Low pay, low hours, that’s it

JetBlue2019-04-25