JetBlue Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Updated Nov 15, 2019

3.9
JetBlue President/CEO Robin Hayes
Robin Hayes
  1. "Travel is fun and Exciting!"

Current Employee - Manager, Human Resources

I have been working at JetBlue full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, great times and travel!

Cons

None that I can think of.

JetBlue2019-11-01
  2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Long Island City, NY

I have been working at JetBlue full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Senior Leadership open to questions

Cons

Not all leadership is the same across all departments

JetBlue2019-10-31
  3. "Bad Company"

Former Employee - Senior Manager

I worked at JetBlue part-time for less than a year

Pros

No Pros at all. Nothing.

Cons

Absolutely stupid company. Bad Enviornment

Advice to Management

Value people.

JetBlue2019-11-15
  4. "Finance"

Former Employee - Financial Manager in New Delhi

I worked at JetBlue full-time for more than a year

Pros

Well with good will

Cons

Orver advance and soo on

Advice to Management

Create well environment in company

JetBlue2019-07-17

"Not what it used to be"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at JetBlue full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Travel Benefits, good pay, 401K match 5%, college degree program,

Cons

Zero work/life balance, culture is taking a serious negative turn, the more you climb the ladder the worse you are treated.

JetBlue2019-07-21

"Great mission & people with growing pains"

Former Employee - Talent Manager
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at JetBlue full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Attracts great people and talent. - Great product which customers love - The mission "Inspire Humanity", CSR and volunteer opportunities - Flight benefits! (other benefits are pretty good too, e.g 401K 5% match)

Cons

- Loss of talent including some of the best Sr Leaders. Made some financial commitments that they've not been meeting and squeezed now, - Cost-cutting and inadequate investment in systems needed to succeed in future - Lost engagement with some frontline Crewmembers and as a result, Flight and Inflight have unionized. Other departments could follow - Change management and related communication with Crewmemembers

JetBlue2019-06-26

"Challenger Brand in Competitive Industry"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Long Island City, NY

I have been working at JetBlue full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've never worked at a company quite like this one- culture is very, very, very important here, and it's at the heart of how the company operates. Anyone who enjoys aviation, or working for a challenger brand/disruptor, will love it here. It'll behoove any candidate to have a passion for working in aviation, and be serious about working with the customer in mind. The company is fairly young (19 years old) and... still has a bit of a "startup" feel to it. Especially in the US Airline industry, 19 is YOUNG in a landscape that's littered with entrenched legacy carriers and tons of mergers, bankruptcies and acquisitions. This puts JetBlue in a bit of a "disruptor" position which lends to a lot of interesting work opportunities on the corporate side. There's no shortage of projects to work on, and different things for technologists to sink their teeth into. It's definitely a job you can "live, eat and breathe." Those who are passionate about the industry will find plenty of ways, even in corporate roles, to get involved in/have an impact on the operation itself. There's a stress on the idea that corporate folk aren't just relegated to their desks, they're encouraged to step down from the "ivory tower" and rub shoulders with crewmembers in the operation. The company itself has a good "soul" as corny as that is to say. Our mission is to "inspire humanity" which sounds odd coming from an airline, but I've watched several times as that mission has come to life before mine (and my coworker's) eyes. Whether it was getting a daughter on a last-minute flight to see her mother before she passed, or volunteering on the ground in the wake of Hurricane Maria, you can see that the fabric of the work the company performs does bring back some humanity into our world. I love telling people I work for JetBlue because it's rare that I'll ever hear a negative sentiment from them about the company, which I don't think would be the case if I was working for one of the other major US carriers. The flight (and related travel) benefits are unreal, if you take the time to learn how to use them properly. You truly can use them to see the world for next to nothing. View them as part of your benefits/compensation package, it's no secret that pay overall in the airline industry isn't great, but if you put those travel bennies to use, you'll be making up that 20-30% salary increase you'd see in other industries. Besides the flight benefits, the rest of the benefits package is definitely satisfactory from my point of view. Health insurance has some sticker shock on the deductible level, but the HRA offered by the company (if used correctly) can effectively reduce that deductible down to a few hundred dollars in out-of-pocket cost. The 401K can be very lucrative as well, with the company providing as much as 10% of your annual salary in contributions. Compensation is, I'd say, in line with the rest of the industry. Don't come here (or to any airline) and expect to make bags of money in a salaried position. Cost control in this industry is tight. If cash compensation is your primary driver in choosing where you work, you may end up happier outside the airline industry.

Cons

As a whole, my only true qualm is the lack of work-life balance, which takes shape in a few different ways. Most of the work-life balance challenges I've seen are really just centered around the 24/7 criticality of airline operations. Those who work in IT support positions for operational systems should be used to on-call life. IT leadership has recently committed to re-engineering systems and processes to reduce... the 3am phone calls and crisis bridges, which is great, but it's not likely that will ever disappear completely. Those who don't play a role in supporting operational systems should still be used to working overnights and off hours. Deployments and system maintenance are done overnight or on weekends to reduce operational impact. To most who've worked in IT, this isn't anything special, but my in division specifically (IT Infrastructure) this is made less tolerable by the fact that leadership doesn't seem to value flexible working arrangements. There's been many times I've worked an overnight or a 16 hour day deploying something, and still been encouraged to show up at the office at 9am. Very rarely am I offered "comp time" for working outside normal business hours. The company has a flexible work arrangement (FWA) policy allowing employees to create work-from-home agreements, or adjust work hours, but leadership is highly restrictive on who gets approved for these, and how they can be used. Most folks, if they do have an FWA in place, are restricted to at most 1 work from home day per week. This restrictiveness around work from home agreements and "comp time" is, as far as I can tell, not the company norm, and really only exists on the Infrastructure side of IT. Lastly, work-life balance is made difficult by a pretty abysmal PTO package. FT crewmembers only accrue 17 total days of PTO in their first year, which would sound okay if it weren't for the fact that this also includes sick/personal time. The company also only has 6 paid holidays each year, I was gobsmacked when I learned I'd have to use PTO to get off on Christmas Eve. PTO accrual bumps up slightly at the start of year 2, but doesn't really reach a level I'd call "fair" until year 5. In the company's defense, our PTO program is currently under review, and early signs point to a generous increase, so hopefully this will become a non-issue in the near future.

Advice to Management

Install leaders that are ready to live the values, and trust the crewmembers underneath them.

JetBlue2019-05-14

"Average"

Current Employee - Accounting Manager in New York, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at JetBlue full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flights benefits, hours are predictable

Cons

Internal opps lacking, recognition non-existing

Advice to Management

Develop talents

JetBlue2019-03-04

"Cabin Crew Manager"

Former Employee - Cabin Crew Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at JetBlue full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent opportunity for advancement, fantastic travel benefits, competitive pay.

Cons

Sometimes the ideas brewing in some high level executive meeting rooms make their way into the frontlines, with zero checks and balances. Sometimes in the face of adversity, middle management will vaporize years of good will gained from their staff for the sake of the bottom line and to impress upper management.

Advice to Management

Optimization by means of stretching schedules, is always a bad idea. Your frontline employees i.e. Flight Attendant, Pilots, Check in personnel, are the reason this company rose so quickly and became the darling of aviation. Be mindful that by flying or working these employees to edge of the envelope with minimum rest days and not balancing that equation with pay packages, you burn the candle at both ends. This... exercise may look good in a quarterly financial report, but is demoralizing and eliminates your point of difference in regards to other US carriers, superlative customer service.

JetBlue2018-10-17

"Manager"

Former Employee - General Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at JetBlue full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

culture, flight benefits, pay, travel

Cons

lacked proper tools to assist customers, NE centric

JetBlue2018-06-22