JD Sports Fashion Weekend Sales Assistant Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Updated 8 Dec 2016

3.4
JD Sports Fashion CEO Peter Cowgill
Peter Cowgill

"Good for getting work experience, terrible place for a career"

Former Employee - Weekend Sales Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at JD Sports Fashion part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people to work with, good products (especially footwear), uniform provided

Cons

- Lack of training and development - spent 2 years working there and was never till-trained - Again in my whole 2 years I never once received my staff discount due to lazy management who were unwilling to sort this for me - Staff at my shop were never able to leave on time at the end of the shift if the store had closed - there were occasions we were held for up to 45 mins late - Weekend staff were treated less... favourably than full-time staff who often called in sick on weekends - Very poor management - often supervisors & managers were spiteful and nasty and we often had new starts leave after their first weekend because of how they were treated - Nightmare customers

Advice to Management

Listen to and engage with your employees more often and make sure management have a consistent approach to all employees

JD Sports Fashion2016-12-08
  2. "Overworked and Underpaid but discount is good"

Current Employee - Weekend Sales Assistant

I have been working at JD Sports Fashion part-time for more than a year

Pros

The best bit about the job is the discount by far. Also get a lot of hours consistently. People are good.

Cons

Pay is treble for the amount that you have to do , you spend most of your time running around like a headless chicken especially working as a sales assistant. Management is good however they are only driven by their hefty bonuses which sometimes results in staff being treated badly if they do a single thing wrong. Finally some of the customers that you have to deal with on a daily basis are repulsive.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the younger and less well paid staff rather than treating them like they are nothing.

JD Sports Fashion2016-05-15
  3. "My experiences"

Current Employee - Weekend Sales Assistant

I have been working at JD Sports Fashion part-time

Pros

The staff are very friendly and easy to get along with, when I first started I was so scared but JD is like one big happy family they all stick together, they overcome barriers together and they never make anyone feel unwelcome. once you have been there for 3 months you start to get a 25% discount.

Cons

It can get tough when you have problems at home etc and you cant make it into they don't understand so they go mad and tell you to get in.

JD Sports Fashion2015-10-08
  4. "Weekend Sales Assistant"

Weekend Sales Assistant in Buxton, East Midlands, England

I have been working at JD Sports Fashion

Pros

Friendly work place, nice atmosphere to be in. Amazing management, really easy to get along with. Fellow employees are also lovely, really happy who I work with.

Cons

Not really anything to complain about, is overall a really nice place to work. Sometimes could be tidier in the stock room during the day, but we do clean up at the end of every shift.

Advice to Management

N/A

JD Sports Fashion2015-10-01
  5. "Mixed Ideas - Management Depdendant"

Former Employee - Weekend Sales Assistant in London, England

I worked at JD Sports Fashion part-time for more than a year

Pros

- Previously had a brilliant manager who had work the company for many years and would always help - Most customers are really great - The people I worked with were lovely and the only management team were great.

Cons

- Once new management team took over, the store went downhill. Any personal changes made by the previous manager regarding shift patterns were soon thrown out the window. - The management were rude about staff and ridiculed them to everyone else in the store.

Advice to Management

Management need to learn to put their personal views of staff to one side and to consider the staffs personal needs - not just their own - as this is the reason many of the staff, including myself, had to resign.

JD Sports Fashion2015-06-21
  6. "Lovely colleagues but management is poor and the pay is dreadful."

Current Employee - Weekend Sales Assistant in Manchester, England

I have been working at JD Sports Fashion part-time for more than a year

Pros

The people that work there are lovely. I'm always swapping sections (departments) so the job very rarely gets boring. Sometimes management lets you go home early which is always a relief. There is a pension scheme in which the employer pays in as well as you, but it seems unnecessary as most people consider this a temporary job while at college/ university or another opportunity comes along.

Cons

Management is extremely condescending, unmotivating and unsupportive. Do not always get enough hours and the pay is terrible. the career opportunities are very bleak and unflattering. I think (and most of my colleagues would agree) that the only way to progress further in regards to their career is to look for another job (advisably away from retail).

Advice to Management

Work alongside the staff, motivate them, offer incentives. Offer quick breaks in between hard tasks (heavy lifting during delivery etc..) and also better facilities in the staff room.

JD Sports Fashion2014-06-02