Innovative Interfaces, Inc "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Innovative Interfaces, Inc Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated 7 Jun 2019

3.7
Innovative Interfaces, Inc CEO Shaheen Javadizadeh
Shaheen Javadizadeh
Cons

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews

"Overlooking Internal Talent in favor of Cronyism"

I have been working at Innovative Interfaces, Inc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you are executive level management you will get your bonuses regardless of performance.

Cons

There are too many upper management positions. It is as if it takes 5 times as much as The company has become far too top heavy and constantly ignores that the front line talent is overworked and leaving the company.

Advice to Management

We need more soldiers in the field and less generals issuing out orders, only to change their minds a week later. Stop throwing your staff under the bus for following your poor direction. When we offer input and constructive criticism, accept it and use it to make the company better. You are not the only ones who can have good ideas.

Innovative Interfaces, Inc2019-06-07

"Senior systems engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Innovative Interfaces, Inc full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good for folks with little experience, just to get your foot in the door and don’t need that much money,

Cons

Promises made, no bonuses and no raises. You may come in the next day with no job. So much upper management and no workers.

Advice to Management

Sell the company to one of your competitors, who know what a library needs

Innovative Interfaces, Inc2019-04-17

"One step forward ..."

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Innovative Interfaces, Inc full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Some great colleagues, good 1st level managers, and some of the best libraries in the world, make Innovative an interesting place to work.

Cons

No pay increases, loss of experienced colleagues, unlimited time off which is not, in fact, unlimited, and some general cluelessness in upper management, makes working at Innovative much harder than it should.

Advice to Management

Here's a clue for upper management: middle management is telling you what you want to hear, not what you need to know. Like everyone else, they're afraid the ax will fall and they will be cut loose.

Innovative Interfaces, Inc2016-12-20

"Stay Away"

in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Innovative Interfaces, Inc for less than a year

Pros

Unlimited PTO if/when you can take it. Flexible schedule. Solid and responsive HR team. Investment in new technology and employee equipment

Cons

Upper management seems to only care about turning a profit. Worker morale has taken a back seat to ensuring the private equity company makes their money back. It's a part of business, but it isn't something I would choose to be a part of moving forward. Two rounds of lay-offs over the last two years and staffing levels have never been corrected. It isn't that the company wasn't making money; just that the bottom line was too high for the private equity apparently. This company operated for many years prior to them getting here with solid staffing numbers, happy employees, and a great company culture. Their attempt to "fix" things has hit a serious snag. My department lost just under 50% of the staff. Senior Management expected the same amount and quality of work to be produced. I would go home and be unable to think from the long, stressful days and received no training, no compensation, or even a formal hand off for the additional responsibilities. If you come to this company and your team member leaves expect the same result. Mismanagement by the previous CEO forced the board to place someone from JMI at the head to try to right this ship taking on water. A lot has been promised, but with private equity calling all the shots it takes MONTHS to get anything effective done. Its a bureaucratic nightmare. Lastly, there is a mass exodus of talented people leaving the company. In their place are people who do not know all of the details of their jobs due to the amount of accumulated knowledge that left with the talent. This causes so many problems and will continue happening until upper management can determine a way to keep their employees happy.

Advice to Management

It doesn't have to be this complicated. The priority is to make money and be a successful business. You have a cash cow that makes a ridiculous amount of money. Treat your workers well, not like they are expendable. Sure someone else can do the job, but not without disrupting the business, our customer service, or the ability to support the rest of the employees first. Good luck.

Innovative Interfaces, Inc2015-11-09

"The new normal, I guess."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

Pros

The people are the best part of this job, far and away. I love my coworkers. The combination of library and computer backgrounds makes for an amazing bunch. Since we got bought by the larger company, a lot has changed - there are a lot of new faces as they hire new people here instead of in California where they'd have to pay them more, and many great people either left or were laid off. But the team we have here and even middle management are really solid characters. I feel like they have my back and commiserate with our issues. I love my work. It's interesting, it's engaging, it's challenging.

Cons

Yeah, it's clearly obvious that once private equity happens, the new goal is not customer satisfaction or quality products but the bottom line. That's not revolutionary news, it's just an inescapable reality. Middle management is totally on board with us, but it's easy to see that upper management are not playing the same game at all. There is a major divide in interests. Again, I'm not saying anything shocking here, this is business as usual. We all come to work every day knowing this, and we do make the best of it, and we like our work, when we can concentrate on doing it. As a smaller company we sometimes got a bonus, but even in lean times we got a gift card to our local grocery stores for Christmas. Our old president really, genuinely cared about each and every one of us, and that was apparent at all times. The first year we were owned by the larger company... we got a water bottle. We were promised our benefits would be the same or better after the acquisition, and then from the sound of it, upper management was genuinely surprised at all the benefits we had. Those went bye-bye. Sure, health insurance just gets worse year by year everywhere, but our fringe benefits tanked. Remember this: a company will never implement a policy that doesn't directly benefit it. Unlimited PTO sounds fantastic: you're no longer limited to just this many days! Take as many as you need! But what it really means is that you no longer "own" your vacation days. If you don't use them, they don't roll over, they evaporate. You will never be reimbursed for the ones you don't use when you leave. You are always beholden to your superiors for final approval for each day - there's no end-of-year "these days are owed to me, so I need to take them." To use a library metaphor, it's like going from ownership to a license model: it's sold to you as an improvement, but all it means is that you no longer have something that's yours. There are always strings.

Advice to Management

I don't have any. I know your interests are totally divorced from ours. We want to do a good job, make good software, make a smooth experience for our customers, be liked by our customers, help them in their work. You want to profit, and look good, and doing quality work is just peripheral to that - if it benefits you, that's good, but if not doing a good job benefits you more, that's what it'll be. That is your work. There's no persuasion to be done. We're along for the ride, hoping we don't get laid off before we retire, hoping we can help our customers without policy getting in our way.

Innovative Interfaces, Inc2015-06-26

"Sinking ship"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Innovative Interfaces, Inc full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic non-management personnel were a wonder to work with. The initial vibe I got when I first started was that everyone was there to help everyone out and I would actually move up with the company.

Cons

The organization change routed me into a dead-end position not related to the career path I had originally envisioned. High-profile personnel started resigning, upper management and the executives started laying off other personnel resulting in missing information about important systems and forcing individuals into roles that they should not be in.

Advice to Management

Remove the dollar signs from your eyes and listen to the employees. This company stayed afloat for 30+ years without the help of private investors so throwing money at a problem won't make it better.

Innovative Interfaces, Inc2015-04-07

"Actions speak louder than words"

I have been working at Innovative Interfaces, Inc

Pros

What is any company, after all, but the sum of its people and its culture? A shared mission of supporting libraries is what once made this such a great place to work. This used to be a place to be proud of -- not perfect, not at all, but the sense of mission, the partnership with our customers, and the excitement of being a part of library technology were all fantastic. I, along with my mostly rockstar coworkers, took a lot of pride in my work. I was delighted to work here.

Cons

I'm sure that the $300 million the former owner took home is cold comfort as he contemplates the consequences of his decision to sell. The company might not have survived if he didn't sell, but of course we'll never know that. The great coworkers are mostly gone - laid off, fired, chased away, or so thoroughly angered and demoralized that they left. The few remaining talented, experienced staff - and there still are some, but only about one-sixth of the people who were on staff four years ago are left - are trying to shore it up as the software and company crumbles like sand. There aren't enough engineers to do the work the software needs, and there aren't enough people left in positions of authority who understand the customer environment and the software to make it right. The mission now is to make money for the equity investors, at all costs. This is not a shared mission, nor can it ever be - they must be paid at all costs. Those costs are high: not being truthful with customers, laying off valuable staff, failing to retain talented staff, failing to address serious architectural and software deficiencies, and continuing to reduce head counts while the work piles up. Lip service is paid to being champions, but actions speak louder than words. Upper management (and increasingly, middle management) doesn't understand how the software works or how it fits together. Software bugs are deliberately not being fixed. Insufficient staffing and time are being spent on building and bundling. Inexperienced individuals lacking in leadership ability are promoted to management positions. Customers are being sold software that management knows doesn't work - in some cases, hasn't worked in years - but these sales are still being pushed. Sales are what it's all about now ... not solid working library software, just generating the numbers so that the quarterly targets are hit. They are now offering $5000 hiring bonuses, and they still can't get current employees to recommend their friends. Don't you find that interesting?

Advice to Management

Well done. You've extracted the value and have left nothing but crumbs and sadness. Your work here is done - this company is ready to be sold!

Innovative Interfaces, Inc2015-01-28

"Not the same company it was a few years ago"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Pros

Customers are the best. Working with and for libraries is a great way to spend a work day. Many great co-workers.

Cons

Pay is a bit on the low side for a tech firm, unless you're in upper management. We used to get a holiday bonus but that is a thing of the past. I used to know almost everyone in the company, but now people come and go at an alarming rate. So many of the people that have gone were amazing, valuable resources. We have a truly lousy ticketing system that might get replaced someday - too bad they didn't listen to us when we told them how bad it was before they bought it! I used to be really love my job, but it's getting harder when you are underpaid, under-appreciated, and you know management would replace you in a heartbeat if they could find someone to do the work for less. If it weren't for the wonderful customers that I get to work with, I'd be gone from here.

Advice to Management

Stop the layoffs. Pay better. Reinstate our holiday bonus.

Innovative Interfaces, Inc2014-12-20

"Business in transition with lost identity"

I worked at Innovative Interfaces, Inc full-time

Pros

Dedicated and highly-skilled staff who care about making a difference for libraries. Nice location in the bay area, close to Oakland and San Francisco. After many staff have left of been laid off parking is usually not a problem.

Cons

Complete lack of focus on the core business from upper management. Poor communication to staff about business decisions and strategy. Inability to retain highly-skilled staff, people are fleeing at a constant pace. Morale at headquarters is distressful, hard to find people genuinely smiling at work, constant gossip and general discontent. It is possible the mood at the newly acquired companies is better. Too many changes, too quickly and not carefully planned. Impact on staff sometimes looks as an afterthought.

Advice to Management

Listen carefully to staff and communicate clearly and constantly about business plans and decisions. Many members of upper management are new to a company that used to have a strong culture and values, and seems they do not realize trust from staff is something they must gain and not take as a given. Trust is the result of long and hard work, earn it.

Innovative Interfaces, Inc2014-06-28

"Interesting, frustrating, underpaid, and"

Systems Librarian

I have been working at Innovative Interfaces, Inc

Pros

The coworkers are incredibly intelligent, educated, diverse and passionate people (1/3 of the employees have a master's in library science and many have multiple degrees). They are extremely hardworking, pleasant, creative people - and the customers are some of the best around. Innovative offers good health care and a reasonable amount of PTO (paid time off). Middle management is great and as protective of its employees as any one could want. In fact, three of the greatest managers I've ever had are at Innovative. The company isn't "evil" - it's appealing to work for a company that does so much to help libraries do their so-very-important thing. It's a way to be in the library field and still make money, for one. Also, unlike most other software companies, developers are not required to work around the clock to hit a deadline or a software launch. For many people, the work day really can end at 5 pm. There have been some significant positive changes at the senior management level in the past 6 months, and there are a few more retirements due in the next year or two. There are signs that the new regime might correct a lot of what is wrong there, but change comes very slowly to this basically conservative company.

Cons

The company has a serious case of "founderitis", although there's hope that with some recent senior management changes the company can overcome it. Until 2010, no one at the executive level had ever worked elsewhere - a real problem in a 30-year-old company long-since outgrown the spare bedroom. The company produces great software. The problem is that it is difficult to install, tortuous to maintain and herculean to upgrade. Ideas, plans, projects get squashed without rationale (even after executive buy-in or direction), temper tantrums from the top are embarrassingly common, and there has been a huge leadership vacuum between the VPs and middle management. Decision-makers have been actively and publicly vacillating on necessary changes for over for ten years. Really poor personnel management at the executive level allowed some truly awful, lawsuit-worthy situations to develop in the upper management tiers. A really good example of how things have gone astray and the nail in the coffin for many (not for myself) - was the change in the PTO policy about 18 months ago. III used to have a great work-life balance - most employees were salaried and managers had the flexibility to handle their employee's schedules as they saw fit. 18 months ago this policy was changed; now, even salaried employees must account for every minute. So if you have an 8 am dentist appointment you have to take off 4 hours of PTO. Officially, there's no more working from home, and all employees had to change their schedule to be 8am-5pm. These changes were announced on a Friday afternoon, effective the following Monday. All the people who had painstakingly crafted slightly alternate schedules (to accommodate children, carpools, parental care, etc) were given precisely 0 days to make other arrangements. After a huge uproar, III backpedaled and agreed that perhaps there were circumstances under which other schedules might be permitted. III is within its rights, barely, on the salaried-employees-must-account-for-every-minute policy, but the implementation of it is a good example of what makes working at Innovative less and less appealing. The reality is that now everyone is sneaking around to try to maintain a sane and humane work-life balance for their employees. It's a shame.

Advice to Management

Communicate, communicate, communicate. Explain what's going on on a regular basis. Make decisions, even if the decision is no. Talk to your employees on a frequent, regular schedule. Get management training. Also, pay more, or give more soft benefits - like training, bringing in outside experts, organizing events that tie the company to the two industries of which it is a part -- the library world and the software world. Make us love working for you again.

Innovative Interfaces, Inc2011-01-21