Info-Tech Research Group "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Info-Tech Research Group Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 11 May 2019

3.7
Info-Tech Research Group Founder Joel McLean (no image)
Joel McLean
Pros
  • "Very dynamic environment, great people(in 14 reviews)

• "The company is mostly respectful of the work-life balance, especially in London research(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "old boys club - most upper management have been with the company since day 1(in 9 reviews)

• "The senior management team has absolutely no scruples or ethics of any kind(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"London Research is a great opportunity for new liberal arts grads"

Current Employee - Research Analyst in London, ON

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Research specialists that are hired right out of university have great learning and development opportunities. The London research department culture is very collaborative. My colleagues are very smart. The culture is fun -- lots of philosophy jokes, word play, and technology discussions. The company is mostly respectful of the work-life balance, especially in London research. Management is starting to more seriously focus on leading and managing, and senior management is not micromanaging as much anymore.

Cons

The company is very sales-oriented. The Toronto office research department has been mismanaged resulting in extremely high turnover. Fast pace of change means that poorly performing initiatives are ended quickly, but also that good initiatives can also be ended. Many managers are not trained on how to manage effectively, but they are starting to train them on this. Compensation is good in London for new grads, but hasn't kept up with rises in costs of living (i.e. rent) in Toronto.

Advice to Management

Continue the new focus on training and developing research analysts. Continue to focus more on leading and directing, less on micromanaging.

Info-Tech Research Group2019-05-11

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I can truthfully say that like and respect everyone I work with. There's a great culture of getting things done and support throughout. In addition, there's a strong focus on work-life balance. You receive the benefits and support of a mid-size company without a lot of bureaucracy, and instead an entrepreneurial spirit.

Cons

Some growing pains as the employee base expands and matures. There is a need for overall process improvement. A lot of innovation and changes, which can be both good and bad.

Advice to Management

Avoid the tendency towards becoming overly concerned with "how things should be done". Instead, create employee-focused processes and systems. We are at the edge of becoming bogged down by red tape and losing out small company culture which is really valuable. Finding ways to accomplish our goals while bringing people together and not siloing departments is key.

Info-Tech Research Group2018-08-02

"Cool building to visit, not to work in"

Former Employee - Analyst in Toronto, ON

I worked at Info-Tech Research Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work life balance High level client exposure at a young age Great people Ministry of fun events Free fruit Hard to get fired from research Nice launch pad out of school

Cons

Compensation is not competitive for Toronto market Didn't feel like I was developing No windows Don't mistakes the "perks" (ping pong table, golf sim) as culture Sales is favoured over research

Advice to Management

Morale was low when I left, my feedback was never listened to - Fix that

Info-Tech Research Group2018-04-27

"How do they keep winning Employer of Choice Awards?"

I worked at Info-Tech Research Group full-time

Pros

Got drunk for a year on their dime. Worked on the HR side McLean & Company in research

Cons

Horrible executive and management High turnover especially seasoned professionals who are true to research (19 of us seasoned pros hired in a three month span gone in less six months most dismissal without cause) Lack of ability to stick with one plan for nay period of time Poor correlation between job posting, job description and actual work ( I was not anticipating having to be a graphic designer) Unrealistic time frames, zero work life balance Individuals on IT and HR side who have never worked in either providing consulting Executive wanted a slant on certain research to suit their needs and you were in trouble if you didn't follow it. For a company providing best practices guidance they did not follow it Power struggles at executive level Salary plans and practices all over the map More of a continuation of Ivey school of Business classes and the snobbery that went with it.

Advice to Management

Stop drinking and start paying attention to turnover

Info-Tech Research Group2018-04-02

"If it's "fast-paced," it's because there's no vision"

I worked at Info-Tech Research Group full-time

Pros

There are a lot of great people who work there.

Cons

A lot of the positive reviews say it is "fast paced" and that's hard to handle. I've worked at lots of fast-paced paces. This place isn't fast-paced. It just changes a lot depending on the whim of the owner. Most of the promotions etc are due to nepotism, not merit. There are a lot of "yes men" and people who don't ask questions or push back even against the owner's ideas. There are smart people with good ideas but who basically get their spirit crushed if it doesn't fit in with whatever the "leadership" happens to be thinking that week. Senior leadership is spineless when it comes to pushing back against him. And if they don't like you or if you cross them or make them look bad you'll be gone. Even if you were right. Then the good ideas don't get brought forward out of fear of the owner's temper. It's his way or the high way. He won't even listen to people who have actual expertise if it contradicts his ideas. Most of the "innovation" that happens is just variations on the same theme. The so-called innovation team is a bunch of kids who happen to get along with the founder and they're coached to be bullies because their status on taht team means they are special. Work/life balance is terrible. You're expected to put in extra hours or stay late at a moment's notice because somebody in management all of a sudden freaked out about something (usually because they weren't paying attention or messed up themselves). It's expected that you put your family second if you work here.

Advice to Management

Get the owner out of the way

Info-Tech Research Group2017-09-26

"Info-Tech Ridiculous Group"

Current Employee - Associate Commercial Director in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free Fruits, Open bar at parties/ events, Intelligent people (in research), fast paced environment, work/life balance is decent too.

Cons

Probably one of the most unstructured companies in Canada- You'll absolutely love it the first 2-3 months, the ping pong tables, the chill managers, the masonic temple , you'll think its the coolest job in Ontario. Then you'll realize the quotas, the daily dials requirements, the sketchy and toxic sales environment and "company culture" was all a hoax. First and foremost Management in the Acquire division is absolutely poisonous. They all lie to their team members, they lead by fear and intimidation and give certain people different privileges. Managers talk about each other, the members of the team they should be leading and the founder of the company on a daily basis. The only way to succeed in a company like this is if you suck up to managers or if you're friends with the founder. The Acquire division is basically run by a dictator, instead of enjoying his old age in a rocking chair in the mountains in Europe, he marches around the offices giving orders and creating ridiculous sales targets and cold calling goals. The managers are absolutely afraid to stand up to him and instead just mock and talk about him behind his back (which I don't blame them for). Basically, the Managers are all "YES MEN". It's promising now that the only strong leader is taking charge of Acquire, so great days should be ahead of us. Employees quit/resign on a weekly basis and turnover in sales and in the company in general is extremely high. The CEO recently resigned because of misalignment with Senior Management and the mid managers were absolutely childish throughout that whole ordeal. They never gave him a chance to lead in my opinion. Management is out of touch with reality and challenged when it comes to communication and telling the truth. I think the founder is extremely approachable, hard-working and I have a lot of respect for him. Obviously no company is perfect, but attention should be given to the poor leadership qualities of the managers and that'll be the turning point for basically everything after that.

Advice to Management

Restructure the management team, its killing the acquire division, decreasing morale and its truly a toxic work environment. Most of the managers intentions aren't for the success of their team, but to the success of their career. Boasting about closing deals for your team and what you did on client meetings for certain teammebrs your team and raving what they achieved because of you, isn't being a leader.

Info-Tech Research Group2017-06-16

"Great place to start for a young professional"

Former Employee - Commercial Director in London, ON

I worked at Info-Tech Research Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun and fast paced environment for young staff and recent graduates. Company does a great job of protecting a work/life balance. Good place to learn sales with a big focus on training and development. Great people!

Cons

Change happens very often around the company and in the sales processes and the communication down to the commercial rep level isn't always the best so you have to be very quick to adjust and learn.

Info-Tech Research Group2017-05-31

"analyst"

Consulting Analyst in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group for more than a year

Pros

great work life balance

Cons

not enough growth opportunity

Info-Tech Research Group2017-05-11
  9. "Great Company"

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time

Pros

I have found my time at Info-Tech to be rewarding and provide experience which I could not have received in such a short period at other organizations. Our founder is a visionary who enables those around him to make change which can be impactful to the company. Info-Tech does not sit on it’s laurels and constantly works to differentiate itself from its competitors. If you are interested in a career at a company which encourages you to strive for more, If you are a self-starter and motivated to make impactful change, then you should join our team.

Cons

Working hard is certainly part of the culture and, at times, can cause difficulty with work-life balance. Be aware of this and you should be able to manage it.

Info-Tech Research Group2017-03-27

"Mediocre"

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group

Pros

-advancement opportunities -great people -high expectations and responsibilities

Cons

-low compensation (even after promotions). Good compensation for senior sales folks. -work/life balance (focused on work) -inequality and favoritism -You are paid better if you work your way up externally and then join. Paid less if you work your way up internally.

Info-Tech Research Group2016-02-22