Info-Tech Research Group Employee Reviews about "senior management"

Updated 11 May 2019

3.7
Info-Tech Research Group Founder Joel McLean (no image)
Joel McLean
Pros
  • "Great people and great company culture(in 14 reviews)

• "The company is mostly respectful of the work-life balance, especially in London research(in 10 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "senior management"

Return to all Reviews

"London Research is a great opportunity for new liberal arts grads"

4.0
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in London, ON

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Research specialists that are hired right out of university have great learning and development opportunities. The London research department culture is very collaborative. My colleagues are very smart. The culture is fun -- lots of philosophy jokes, word play, and technology discussions. The company is mostly respectful of the work-life balance, especially in London research. Management is starting to more seriously focus on leading and managing, and senior management is not micromanaging as much anymore.

Cons

The company is very sales-oriented. The Toronto office research department has been mismanaged resulting in extremely high turnover. Fast pace of change means that poorly performing initiatives are ended quickly, but also that good initiatives can also be ended. Many managers are not trained on how to manage effectively, but they are starting to train them on this. Compensation is good in London for new grads, but hasn't kept up with rises in costs of living (i.e. rent) in Toronto.

"A company to avoid"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Director in Toronto, ON

I worked at Info-Tech Research Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Salaries were in line with market

Cons

Senior management and CEO are poor with low people skills and leadership

"The London office is a wonderful place to work"

Current Employee - Consulting Analyst in London, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Senior management is incredibly supportive Lots of opportunity for vertical movement Never a dull day No micromanagement

Cons

Knowledge gap between juniors and seniors is noticeable

August 22, 2018Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review and so happy to hear you feel challenged and supported in your role. Your advice to Management is great and we are already working on ways we can expand employee feedback channels, so watch this space!

"An old adage comes to mind - it’s like watching a slow train wreck - only now you are working in that very train wreck."

Former Employee - IT Consultant in Toronto, ON

I worked at Info-Tech Research Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Absolutely nothing. There were some benefits years ago, but those are all gone now. Occasionally, they’ll get your drunk to remind you how good of an employer they are. They are really good at one thing - making it seem they are a normal, functioning company.

Cons

It’s such a disaster. They constantly violate the Employment Standards Act. An ex colleague I worked with said he worked an additional 1000 hours of unpaid overtime, I’ve never calculated my unpaid time but for most, I would imagine it’s close to that. They hide behind this obscure exception in the ESA for IT workers except that most of the employees are not IT workers, but consultants. Still, no ex employee, including myself, has had the gumption to file a class action lawsuit. I really hope someone does, as these gomers have stolen millions from their employees in the form of lost wages. The senior management team has absolutely no scruples or ethics of any kind. The CEO has fired anyone with a dissenting opinion of any kind and has surrounded himself with “yes” people. They can’t meet a deadline if their life depended on it. The CEO is the worst leader I have ever seen and isn’t even smart. He just spews out nonsense ideas and his blind army of nitwits work 80 hours a week trying to develop his terribly bad ideas. There are about 500 other cons, but I simply do not want to spend the time writing about them. Honestly, if you are considering a job here, for the love of God, don’t do it. This company shouldn’t even be functioning except for the few good people working here and who work hard at their jobs to keep this sinking ship afloat.

Continue reading
  5. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in London, ON

I worked at Info-Tech Research Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Always feel like family. I was there just about 5 years and it was my favourite time with any organization. Good benefits and pay. A lot of perks and employee engagement. CEO is easily approachable and willing to chat and a good guy! All senior management are really good people.

Cons

It can be a very fast paced environment that can be difficult for newer employees to be a handle on. Change management could be better handled in that respect.

September 26, 2017Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you we appreciate your insights and positive feedback. We are very happy to hear you had a positive experience during your time with us.

"Fun and fulfilling work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people doing great work. Lots of room and opportunities to grow. The benefits are good and there are some surprisingly awesome perks. Senior management definitely cares about people.

Cons

Pay is set at industry average.

September 21, 2017Founder

Good to hear! Joel

"Info-Tech Ridiculous Group"

Current Employee - Associate Commercial Director in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free Fruits, Open bar at parties/ events, Intelligent people (in research), fast paced environment, work/life balance is decent too.

Cons

Probably one of the most unstructured companies in Canada- You'll absolutely love it the first 2-3 months, the ping pong tables, the chill managers, the masonic temple , you'll think its the coolest job in Ontario. Then you'll realize the quotas, the daily dials requirements, the sketchy and toxic sales environment and "company culture" was all a hoax. First and foremost Management in the Acquire division is absolutely poisonous. They all lie to their team members, they lead by fear and intimidation and give certain people different privileges. Managers talk about each other, the members of the team they should be leading and the founder of the company on a daily basis. The only way to succeed in a company like this is if you suck up to managers or if you're friends with the founder. The Acquire division is basically run by a dictator, instead of enjoying his old age in a rocking chair in the mountains in Europe, he marches around the offices giving orders and creating ridiculous sales targets and cold calling goals. The managers are absolutely afraid to stand up to him and instead just mock and talk about him behind his back (which I don't blame them for). Basically, the Managers are all "YES MEN". It's promising now that the only strong leader is taking charge of Acquire, so great days should be ahead of us. Employees quit/resign on a weekly basis and turnover in sales and in the company in general is extremely high. The CEO recently resigned because of misalignment with Senior Management and the mid managers were absolutely childish throughout that whole ordeal. They never gave him a chance to lead in my opinion. Management is out of touch with reality and challenged when it comes to communication and telling the truth. I think the founder is extremely approachable, hard-working and I have a lot of respect for him. Obviously no company is perfect, but attention should be given to the poor leadership qualities of the managers and that'll be the turning point for basically everything after that.

Continue reading

"sketchy company, barbaric practices, incompetent leadership"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Visit their careers page, their awkwardly run information session, or one of the below 5-star posts written by HR to know the good things (arguable) about info-tech.

Cons

Apart from incompetent leadership that really doesn't do much other than have frat meetings and provide vague directions for so called "research" and "products", there is no transparency in the decision making. More and more are starting to leave at a faster rate, just like clients are, starting from entry-level analysts to those that have stayed with the firm for 5-10 years. Basically, upper executives are those that started with the firm at its early stage, or from a company that actually has a brand and is looking to slowly retire and leech off of the firm. The owner, that is known by everyone in the firm as a vicious tyrant, only cares about sales. Middle-management is composed of yes-man people that have mediocre educational backgrounds. Some had over a decade of random teaching or journalism experiences prior to finally joining what they think is legitimate. Far from being competent, they are just kind of there nodding to the orders from senior management. Entry-levels are ivey grads, masters grads and a few other undergrad young-lings that think they're lucky to be there. My condolences to those who got lured into the telemarketing firm that loves buzz-words and dust. If you think this firm is innovative or has a creative culture like it claims to have, you deserve to be where you are. The party will be over before you know it.

March 3, 2017Founder

I'm really not a tyrant.... (How did this become a thing in Toronto??) You'd like me better if you knew me. You can't say I only care about sales when I've worked in Research 4 out of the last 5 years.... I see your not happy & I'm sorry about that....... but how can you boil all of meetings down to "frat meetings" Our clients do really rave about our products & we have over 100 analysts. I understand I've failed to be in Toronto enough for you to like me, but be respectful to our entire analyst team they are a fantastic group! For the record, I really hate the use of buzz-words. Joel McLean

"Great Place to Kick off your career, but difficult to stay within."

Former Employee - Associate Commercial Director in London, ON

I worked at Info-Tech Research Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

When you start working at Info-Tech, the management team does a great job at selling you "The Dream." Summer Hours is Great! Ping Pong Tables Massage Chairs Young Team

Cons

What I disliked at Info-Tech was there lack of training and development. After you are done training you expect some coaching and direction on how to attain sales but you end up having to figure it out on your own. By the time you start getting better its too late and you are put on a performance plan. They pitch the plan as a good thing but it really isn't. The lack of coaching and development in the Small Enterprise division is amazing to me. They say they need to focus more on SE however nothing changes. There is a lot of favoritism and all the good leads and appointments go to the veteran reps. I completely understand this and I would give my good sales reps the best leads as well. However the rest of the sales reps are left to drown with a bad list of leads on salesforce. The Data that is given to sales-reps are terrible. They expect you to make close to 100 dials a day. This is extremely inefficient, as you are not focusing on quality but more so quantity. I can definitely agree that in the beginning calling as much as you can is good and gives you time to perfect your pitch. However, when you are more experienced and getting the hang of the job focusing on quality is equally as important. Without a good data base this is extremely tough so you have to start looking elsewhere! Oh, did I mention that is on your own time? There is an extreme disconnect between senior management, mid management, and the sales team. Its interesting to see this as the company is not that big and you know eachother by name. You can definitely learn from senior management if they give you the time of day, but don't expect anything. They want you to stick to a slide deck to assist clients the best way but it is the worst way. Its great in the beginning and allows you to understand the process the clients are being assisted in but its better to show clients how interactive the website is as they can picture themselves using the product. The sales management team however feels the deck is the best way and it is definitely not. Hence the disconnect.

Continue reading

"Highs and lows, but eventually needed out"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in London, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

You could make decent money, if you got good leads or some decent accounts to renew.. and they paid.

Cons

It's a hybrid call centre and boys club. A small business mentality with a growing employee base. Drinking at work is encouraged, and in a really cliquey bros club way. Lots of people clearly are only there due to relationship with senior management and not skills.

Found 11 reviews