InVision App Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

4.5
InVision App CEO Clark Valberg
Clark Valberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Complete flexiblity, people work from home or remotely" (in 25 reviews)

• "All remote work - Yes, you can really work from an airbnb from a different country every month" (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • "You have to be very motivated to work from home" (in 16 reviews)

• "Working remotely can make you feel isolated" (in 19 reviews)

1. Featured Review

""Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success""

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at InVision App full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall, InVision has been a fantastic place to work for the last four months. Does it feel like eight months? Yes. However, I have never felt more supported in my life. The first couple of days/months are always stressful but having leadership around you that genuinely tries to set you up for success is an incredible feeling and does not happen everywhere.

InVision has an excellent benefits package- including a “flexible” PTO policy, 1/2-day Fridays year-round (if you managed your time efficiently), monthly gym reimbursement, continuing education support, phone reimbursement, 401K (No match at this time) and super competitive health care plans. Plus, InVision has a 100% distributed workforce, and they try to give us every resource possible to make sure we can properly work from "anywhere”- Yup, anywhere. Everyone receives a $500 stipend to help create your home office, and a $100 InVision Café Card that gets filled up monthly. These all work great for me, as I am traveling around in my RV. “No Internet access? …Better stop by S-Bucks, and get some work done..” ..It's almost too easy.

Diversity seems to be a focus of InVision and is quite prominent already. This diverse talent brings fresh ideas, perspectives and views to our culture, and products. Plus, different approaches are the recipe for creating better products, and experiences for our customers. You're encouraged to be as authentic as possible, measured by the work you put in, which in turn, pushes you to be the best version of yourself and introduces new challenges..

I’m a firm believer that working remotely is not for everyone. You need to be diligent, hardworking, proactive with a strong sense of time management. There is an initial adjustment period and learning to balance home life and work life all in the same environment can be challenging. Our CEO, Clark wants employees to work wherever they want, and he believes giving people that freedom can increase employee happiness and foster communication that’s better than that of many co-located companies. This also enables us to tap into talent from all across the globe, rather than being limited by geographic locations- we can bring on the best and the brightest regardless of where you live!

As you can see, our CEO, Clark is a true visionary, a kind, authentic person. I have heard rumors that some people don’t think he’s real… ha, He is. :) I had a great chat with him, and he was super down to earth, and was genuinely interested in what made me join InVision, and what makes us better than the competition... That doesn’t happen everywhere you go either.

Cons

If you want to call it a Con- InVision is a startup. Or rather, an “established startup”, but a startup nonetheless. Not everything is polished, and sometimes even has a “Wild Wild West” feel to it.. but for me, I love the ambiguity! It's a fantastic opportunity to prove yourself and grow with the company… And we are growing immensely! The determination and enthusiasm from everyone are reflective of the culture they have established. It doesn’t matter what team, or department you are on, everyone has the same passion and eagerness to get keep the company moving forward in the right direction and staying competitive.

Advice to Management

I am sincerely happy to have the opportunity to work with InVision and can’t wait to see what is next on the horizon! More to come!

"Best of all the worlds"

I have been working at InVision App full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing can compare to working remote. Having the autonomy to do what you want and need in your life- nothing compares. Additionally, they hire top talent, you know you are working with smart and bright people from all over the industry.

Cons

Remote work isn't for everyone
    We are a fast growing company, things change often, you need to be ok with change and being flexible

Advice to Management

It's a continuous challenge when you have 800 people working all over the world, but the team is making great strides to try to connect and continue to communicate with all the teams.

"You can make a difference"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I have been working at InVision App full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Brilliant team, located all over Europe. Everyone is ambitious yet helpful, and the culture is great.
    Whilst it’s a fully remote company, you have access to wework in London and Amsterdam where there are a high number of employees which provides a nice balance to working from home.
    The SVP International setup the business in the US and is now doing the same in Europe. Great to have that experience and everyone on the team loves working for him.
    Fully remote is great but requires high level of motivation. This is fast growing business and the demands are high so you have to be proactive in building relationships remotely to get stuff done.
    The company is still very early stage, particularly in international where many people are less than a year in tenure, so there’s plenty to build/establish in terms of processes which means you can have a real impact on the business still.
    Customers love the product but we’re making exciting investments in this area that will enable us to provide even more value going forward.
    Whilst the sales team is still relatively new, management have established some really strong sales methodology and the training gets better all of the time. We do regular in person training events and meet-ups called IRL (in real life) which has been amazing for building relationships and getting to know your colleagues.

Cons

Not for people that don’t enjoy working hard and building a business. Lots to do at InVision and you’re always required to go beyond your job description to get things done. I like this, but it’s not for everyone.
    Remote isn’t for everyone. There’s always a lot to do, and the expectations are very high. If you think fully remote means easy ride, you’re very mistaken.
    The business made a couple of poor early sales hires as it grew quickly, but the mgmt team seem to be owning and correcting that.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing. Really appreciate the way we’re all treated like owners in the business and how supportive you are through challenges. Recent mgmt hires have made a BIG impact on morale.

4. "Best Remote Tech Company"

I have been working at InVision App full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can work from anywhere in the world and they're flexible about your work schedule, as long as you can make important meetings. Family friendly and good work life balance. Great marketing team -- they've built a fantastic brand.

Cons

Engineering is lagging behind in experience and skills.

5. "Sales - growing pains"

Pros

Remote work - great for work life balance
    High potential product
    Top down sales - strong
    Great opportunity for non-sales roles except for Sales support roles

Cons

Majority of enterprise sales reps are miles away from their quarterly and annual number
    Lack of leadership response to growing concerns over challenges to revenue (product delays, competition)
    Competing compensation with different role types within account teams which is causing major friction
    Sales team morale is low
    Feedback mechanisms are definitely in place but their is fear of being tagged as a complainer

Advice to Management

If license seat count preservation is more important than total revenue within an account, everyones comp plans should reflect this goal. Take action to address morale if 2/3 of the main part of your sales group is at 50% attainment while the combined sales number is at 100% attainment.

"Best job I've ever had"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at InVision App full-time (More than a year)

Pros

#1 for most people is probably the flexibility of working remotely. After living and working in the SF bay area for two years, I was grateful for an opportunity to leave and still work with an A-class software company.

#2 is that it's 100% remote, not just partially. A 100% remote company has lots of advantages over a partially remote one. 100% remote makes everyone feel like they're equally as informed as everyone else.

Others:
    - The product is loved by customers. It's kinda nice being able to tell people you work at InVision at social events and getting a positive response.
    - The business is growing, moral is high
    - Clear promotion/advancement criteria and processes. This was developed and implemented over the course of my time at the company.

For engineers:
    - Engineering best practices are well, practiced. The company's tech stack isn't fossilized and tech debt is kept at pretty reasonable levels. In my two years there I saw the few codebases/services that were just really bad (spaghetti code, no tests, etc) completely replaced with clean, well documented, tested, properly monitored & alerted services.

Cons

Only for some people:
    - The company tries to stick to US hours. I started with the company in the US and moved to Taiwan, so I ended up working all night long and sleeping half the day. This obviously doesn't apply if you're anywhere in the Americas.

"Bait and Swith"

Former Employee - Operations in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Operations in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at InVision App full-time (More than a year)

Pros

remote culture, autonomy*, ability to push boundaries and be innovative*, working on a brand that many love and follow. *= formerly, not so true any longer.

Cons

remote challenges, namely communication. Often times it feels like information does not trickle down and leadership seems to purposely side step important issues and challenges. Working here feels like surviving an abusive relationship. I was here almost two years and watched early promises fizzle along with a culture that is quickly eroding in the name of scaling and growth. Really bad leadership is being let in the door. I watched the trust and autonomy that was prized in this culture vanish almost overnight, replaced with a very top down approach. By the end it felt like working for any old generic Inc. They get you in the door with big promises but fail to follow through. It's like surviving an abusive relationship, I kept thinking things would get better, but they never did. I now only regret not leaving earlier.
    The worst part of this company is the lack of work life balance. They talk about it all the time. Senior leadership will preach defining your boundaries and shutting work off after hours, as they send you long emails and requests at every hour in the middle of the night. So much hypocrisy here. It's very difficult to take real time off, because the pain of what you'll return to isn't worth the short break. I worked so many weekends, 1 out of every two Sundays, and so many late night hours here, yet never felt caught up. This place has a work life balance crisis.

Advice to Management

I have no idea what to say; what is happening here is a sad case of chasing IPO, a very common story in startups, where culture and long term planning is sacrificed for the short term gain of reaching IPO. I don't see that changing.

"Want a toxic workplace with egomaniacs? Join InVision!"

I worked at InVision App full-time

Pros

They talk a good game. Endless rounds of funding which if you're intelligent you know is concerning how fast they burn through money... but they think they got it all figured out.
    Nice laptops!

Cons

Everything else. Another poster said it's like an abusive relationship, couldn't be more true.
    Horrible execs. CEO/COO who are 1000% inexperienced and making knee jerk, emotional decisions. How do investors not see this? No CTO or CFO! Think they're going to IPO without a CFO?! and a Software Co without a CTO? Joke. Their C- of HR doesn't seem to know HR and has made numerous comments in front of others where he and the company could have been sued.
    Nonstop work. Think working from home you will get to see your family? Not at INVision. If you do not answer slack within a few minutes you will be on a surprise call with HR asking "Do you really want to work here?" Happens daily.
    I've never been so happy to be out of a company.

Advice to Management

sell to adobe.

"a terrible employer"

Former Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)

I worked at InVision App full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly can't really think of anything good to say about this company.

Cons

Micromanagement dressed up as remote working. Woeful leadership. Terrible culture. Avoid at all costs.

"Amazing Place to work at"

I have been working at InVision App full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, Culture, Remote Work

Cons

Can be hard to get used to working remotely.