Imgur Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Imgur Reviews

Updated Nov 11, 2019

4.6
Imgur Founder/CEO Alan Schaaf (no image)
Alan Schaaf
Pros
  • "Start-ups get a bad rap for being known as places with crapy work/life balance(in 8 reviews)

• "the office space is very spacious with lots of places to grab your laptop and work(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some growing pains as teams expand and new processes are put in place to accommodate managing the project pipelines(in 5 reviews)

• "The company is growing fast, so things are happening at a very fast pace(in 4 reviews)

1. "Beyond Your Wildest Memes, Keanu"

Former Employee - Head of Creative Strategy in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Imgur full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Bloody great people. Who let you be yourself. No professional robot version of yourself necessary. Incredible company mission that genuinely glows as a light of positivity in an otherwise toxic social landscape. All the memes you could ever dream of. Really cool "Discover the Magic of the Internet" tagline (okay, I admit it, I came up with that).

Cons

Alan thinks he's the world's best smash Bros player. Which might actually be true, but it's still a con. The view from the office can be a little distracting.

Advice to Management

Keep promoting talent from within when you can.

Imgur2019-11-11
  2. "Fun, challenging, incredible people, incredible mission."

Former Employee - Chief Financial Officer

I worked at Imgur full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People. Kind, smart, motivated and incredibly committed to the company's mission. Work. Fun, engaging and challenging. Community. The Imgur is an incredible group of millions people. Having an impact on the platform that means so much to so many people is a unique opportunity and its amazing to see the things that the community does with it.

Cons

While most people are in SF, a good amount of folks are distributed. This can be challenging for those who aren't used to working on a distributed team. Imgur does a great job of creating an environment where everyone feels connected— even if they're across the globe.

Advice to Management

Keep innovating and building new things, without losing site of the mission. Keep being great to your employees and one another. Don't forget about your former employees who are still rooting from you! ;)

Imgur2019-10-21

"Love it, wish I had come on board sooner"

Current Employee - Senior DevOps Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Imgur full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've been in the industry for 20 years. I've worked for a lot of places and even run my own successful consultancy with quite a few employees at it's peak. I'm giving this information so some context can be applied. This is the best place I've ever worked. Bar none. The culture is amazing. People are genuinely kind, everyone helps everyone, there is a focus on solving the problem. It's honestly so incredibly... refreshing. I have had the distinct pleasure of working with some of the smartest and best people since coming here. It's also really nice to work somewhere that focuses on the users. The users actually come first. Management is technical, while still focusing on soft skills. The CEO is part of the crew, and it's actually fun, he's technical, and nerdy in all the best ways. The mission is really to help people, not to chase numbers. it's to give people a moment of relief when they open the app. A reason to smile. It's nice to do something that pushes back the darkness so many people are dealing with today.

Cons

I don't really have anything negative to say.

Advice to Management

You have lightening in a bottle, don't change.

Imgur2019-09-26

"company changing direction"

Former Employee - Creative Strate
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Imgur full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Exec team transparency - Fun content - Great app

Cons

- denial of company issues - deteriorating company culture -stagnated community and finances

Imgur2019-09-25

"The best job I've ever had"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Imgur full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The CEO is awesome, my coworkers are awesome. Everything is awesome. You can work remote, you can work from a WeWork, you can work hours that work for you. Everyone is nice and professional. The imgur community is so nice too. I just love it.

Cons

I don't think it's a con, but working at imgur is high pace, fast moving, and there's a ton of work to do.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Seriously. Love working here!

Imgur2019-08-18
  6. "Okay part-time job"

Former Employee - Content Moderator in Remote, OR
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Imgur part-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome people to work with Decent pay Was fairly easy work Remote position, so work at home

Cons

The constant training guides and to be expected to remember training The attendance policy strict guidelines/rules If you miss two shifts, you get employment/contract terminated

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, but I felt as if the role was sometimes too strict/much.

Imgur2019-06-07
  7. "A strong team, with a genuine passion"

Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Imgur full-time for more than a year

Pros

Imgur was a breath of fresh air, as an employee, and as an industry professional. Management is direct, straight-forward, and adaptive to change and ideas. They have a genuine desire to make the world a better place, and start with their employees. Remote work is a breeze, both full-time, and as an optional WFH set up. Communication burn-out is a thankfully absent curse at Imgur.

Cons

Inter-team communication could always be better, as is the case in many companies. A clearer understanding for the right hand as to what the left hand is up to is always welcome.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, keep communicating.

Imgur2019-02-05
  8. "I really like working here."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Imgur full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pro that I'd emphasize is all the awesome people. Imgur employs some of the most talented people I've worked with. It's a positive, friendly vibe every day, and I feel like everyone is respected, and differences are valued. The benefits are great, and I get the sense from HR and leadership that they care about their employees and want to do right by them. Fun things are happening all the time, from... supporting sick children through a 24-hour videogameathon, an annual offsite, a company holiday party, bi-weekly all hands, monthly re-occurring events, the fun never stops. The product is good, and it does good. We find the Imgur community is filled with good people who use Imgur to do good things for others. If you're remote, Imgur very much values remote employees and works hard to create a good experience for everyone. For example, during our Thanksgiving day cook-off, remote employees were sent something instead of being able to attend. Additionally, remote employees have many opportunities during the year to travel to the main office. It's fun when everyone's together.

Cons

There's a lot of work to do, but that's actually a good thing!

Advice to Management

Keep it going!

Imgur2018-12-05

"Raising the world's spirits"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Imgur full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun and energetic corporate culture; excellent employee benefits; superb location

Cons

Small company; start-up environment; awash in dogs

Imgur2018-10-08

"Some additional info not found in other reviews"

I have been working at Imgur full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

In addition to the other positive comments made in Glassdoor, I wanted to add that leadership wants to hear from the employees. Good, bad or otherwise. There are many ways to give feedback from regular 1:1s, ability to grab someone from leadership and set up an appointment to talk, asking questions at the all-hands and the CEOs weekly time set aside to hear from employees .

Cons

I have nothing to add here.

Imgur2018-10-08