Illumina Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

4.2
Illumina President & CEO Francis deSouza
Francis deSouza

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Depending on your team, very flexible work-life balance" (in 46 reviews)

• "fast paced environment where you can learn a lot" (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance is good but more telecommuting options would help" (in 59 reviews)

• "Ultra fast paced environment, high stress during critical release dates" (in 40 reviews)

"Great Place to Work with Some Growing Pains"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA (US)

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Amazing company mission that everyone rallies around and you can feel proud talking about
    - Lots of great coworkers and smart people to learn from
    - If you work hard, there's solid career growth and learning opportunities as the company goes through such rapid growth
    - Some unique and exciting benefits
    - Great facilities
    - Lots of fun events to bring people together, such as a dodgeball tournament, company picnic, summer concerts, etc.
    - Depending on your team, very flexible work-life balance
    - People are incredibly passionate about what they do, and there's a lot of energy at any of the campuses

Cons

Mostly stemming from the rapid growth, there are some seriously outdated processes and tech solutions that cause a lot of pain. Budget planning is one that comes to mind. Tech investment sometimes seems to be a bit scattered all over the place too, making it difficult to know what tool to use for each situation.
    Some decisions are made way too slowly, some are made too quickly.
    Can be some long hours when it's crunch time.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on creating a great experience for employees. Continue to listen to customers. Continue to strive to be as transparent as possible.

"Sequencing Specialist"

Current Employee - Sequencing Specialist in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sequencing Specialist in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

An awesome company with great products and which that takes care of its employees. Upper management very young and very diverse.

Cons

There were several questionable changes over the past year involving many layoffs, including several good people who had been with the company for many years, people with unique knowledge of niche markets and with important customer relationships.

In Q2 2108, Illumina introduced "unlimited vacation time", which of course is a scam that only benefits the company by reducing its liability and inevitably creating a culture where employees start taking fewer and fewer vacation days. Employees still need to register their vacation time, so we know Illumina is counting how many vacation days each employee take. Is there any doubt that when choosing who to fire in the future, one of the criteria employed by managers will be which employee takes the most vacation days?

Advice to Management

Communication between regions is non-existent, there are no efforts to share best practices across teams. As a result, too much effort is wasted re-inventing the wheel, too many good opportunities are lost.

3. "Outstanding Organization and Work!"

Current Employee - Associate Director in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Director in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Illumina full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Passion for the cause
    - Great teams - work together well with everyone!
    - Fast paced - lots of investment in growth and change
    - Pay and benefits - oustanding!
    - Workplace - fantastic location and offices

Cons

- So much going on - you need to be very good at setting boundaries or it will be easy to get sucked into poor work-life balance

4. "Great company to work"

Current Employee - Buyer in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Buyer in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company culture
    Great mission
    Amazing people

Cons

Some people are not keeping up with changes

5. "Cool science, smart people, good benefits"

Current Employee - Senior DevOps Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I applied for a tech job at Illumina being very up-front about the fact I learned quick but only had a little experience, got an offer, and have spent the last three+ years learning new things very quickly indeed and getting a lot out of it.

They're good about paying for training & certification, and encouraging other kinds of professional development. Because the company's growing, I've been learning new things and jumping in the deep end of new projects the whole time I've been here.

My team is telecommuting-friendly, and accommodates flexible working well, though I hear this varies across the company.

Cons

Sometimes difficult working hours - the company HQ is in San Diego, and lots of the tech/development decision-making happens in that timezone.

There's a tendency to take on more projects than we have people for, and not enough between departments/teams.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing employee surveys and listening to the results.

We could stand to look in more varied efforts towards hiring gender/ethnic diversity for employees in technical roles seems like it's gotten worse in the three years I've been here.

"Intern"

I have been working at Illumina full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Projects are meaningful- you feel like you are really contributing to company work. Work is challenging and keeps you constantly thinking, people also seem interested in your opinions and ideas. Great environment, people are hardworking and very nice.

Cons

Things move really fast and are always changing- this makes understanding what is going on and how your work impacts the outside world difficult. Lots of acronyms too, which makes things confusing...

Advice to Management

Better distribution of tasks because workers' responsibilities are not always clear/overlap with others.

7. "We Move Fast and Embrace Change"

Current Employee - Facilities Engineer
    Current Employee - Facilities Engineer

I have been working at Illumina full-time

Pros

Illumina as a company is changing the world and healthcare as we know it today. What we do is so impactful and meaningful. The company fosters community engagement, work/life balance, volunteering (paid time off and $ match on dontations), and fosters a very open environment that allows for deep collaboration. Culture is very important to fit and thrive at Illumina. One must be for the better good than self serving. Everyone moves fast (physically even) and things change very quickly, thus one must be able to adapt with a positive attitude. Being in engineering that is not always easy for me and can be a struggle. Upward growth is uncapped and encouraged. Benefits are excellent and there are more perks that you can imagine. Everyone that works here is amazingly kind and helpful. If you need a resource (human or tool) the company is fully supportive.

Cons

We move fast and embrace change. Sometimes we move too fast and the details are not winnowed out properly. Sometimes projects I am working on in the building are changed midstream and past work becomes for not. There are a lot of acronyms and that is hard to get used to and fully understand when you first start.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. You clearly have it right! We are growing, we are global leaders, we are changing history in healthcare. Illumina is an amazing company and I am so happy to be a part of it. Kudos!!

8. "field leader and continue to prosperous"

I have been working at Illumina full-time

Pros

rapidly revolving company at the very forefornt of technologies that would have great impact on human health.
    open and fair relationship with the team leader and workmates. Everybody willing to help when you are in need.

Cons

Perfromance are more and more evaluated by plain metrics, some are good but some could restrict personality and sometime creativity.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest on R&D to enhance leadership in sequencing, both in itself and upstream and downstream .

9. "From Contractor to FTE. Illumina is great!"

I have been working at Illumina full-time

Pros

- Great culture
    - Great Benefits
    - Paid week off for "sumnmer break" during the week of 4th of July
    - Work Life Balance
    - Facilitates Growth
    - Great Events (Concerts, Food Trucks Event, Happy Hours, Free Beer)
    - Has a Cafeteria, Gym, Classes (Yoga, Meditation, Spinning), and beautiful landscaping

Cons

- Parking can be bad if you come in anytime past 8:30 and want to be close to your main building.
    - 401k Matching could be better
    - Working remotely is still iffy and not really accepted although it's possible.

Advice to Management

CEO seems to truly care about the environment and our impact to the world.

10. "Illumina makes me happy :)"

Current Employee - Senior Supplier Quality Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Supplier Quality Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Illumina full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is extremely passionate about developing products that immensely impact the health of everyone in the world
    Unlimited vacation time
    Employee stock purchase plan is amazing
    HQ has so many great amenities
    Co-workers are very smart and motivated

Cons

Profit sharing is low - 6%
    401k match is low - 3%

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. The communication with employees is great.