HubSpot "unlimited vacation" Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

HubSpot Employee Reviews about "unlimited vacation"

Updated 7 Nov 2019

4.8
HubSpot CEO Brian Halligan
Brian Halligan
Pros
Cons
  • "Tough to strike a work life balance sometimes(in 56 reviews)

• "Fast growth creates some growing pains -- like needing to develop new managers/leaders(in 43 reviews)

Reviews about "unlimited vacation"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at HubSpot full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Unlimited vacation are a real thing :) International Environment Culture Salary

Cons

Pressure for the sales team is relatively high

HubSpot2019-10-27
  2. "A great place to be"

Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at HubSpot full-time for more than a year

Pros

Career growth and benefits are great, unlimited vacation plan (if you're on target), work life balance

Cons

None that come to mind

HubSpot2019-01-21

"One of the Best Places to Work - Culture of Growth and Quality of the People is Unparalleled"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore

I have been working at HubSpot full-time for less than a year

Pros

SingSpot is easily the best company I've worked for! First up, let's talk about the perks at SingSpot! Many of these reviews say they're unreal but let me break it down a little. It's a 'known fact' that Singapore's national pastime is eating - SingSpot delivers above and beyond on that front. Here's a list of what's in the mix: Waffle Wednesday, Catered Thursday Lunches, (newly-introduced) Panini Friday,... End-Of-Month (EOM) Pizza and EOM Drinks. Not forgetting the amazing and well-stocked pantry - coconut water, green tea, ice creams, assorted nut dispensers, regional tidbits and 2 beer taps. If you think we're all about food and drinks, we have got in place an on-site gym and an annual gym subsidy for folks to balance the sinful indulgence. It does seem apt that I mention a little about our focus on Health and Wellness, especially after all that speak about eating and drinking. What we got at SingSpot is an insanely good medical and insurance coverage! It even covers visits at the Chiropractor and TCM specialist. What's more, we've even held massage sessions at SingSpot during our Health and Wellness Week. We are also a rather fun-loving and diverse bunch! Fun fact, we have more than 20 nationalities in the APAC region and that really brings on different perspectives. We also get together frequently as small groups and a couple of times every month and every quarter in big groups. Some cool gigs we've hit up in the past- Virtual Reality Park, LaserTag and Fragment Room. We have various interest groups ranging from the cat-lovers group to school alumni groups and women groups to a ping-pong club. It would be an absolute crime to not mention the unlimited vacation program and the flexibility to work from home. I love how the company recognizes how everyone may be wired differently - working remotely may help one to deliver their best work. To appreciate longer-tenured employees, HubSpot also offers a five-year sabbatical program which is a 4-week paid sabbatical with a $5k bonus! For those who may be interested, we do provide Employee Stock Purchase and Grants along with the employment. I do also think that we're quite competitively compensated at SingSpot. I also adore the work-life balance here - leaving work on time means I get to pursue my other passions/interests outside of work which value-adds to my work. Now on to the 'more important' perks! HubSpot values personal development and growth of every single employee. The culture of growth and learning is seen in so much that we do - monthly new hire panel, new hire training program, workshops, AMAs, Specialized Training, Company Wiki and our Internal Online Learning Center. The leadership here is extremely transparent - we even have access to the decks/documents from their off-sites. The extremely feedback-centric culture might feel a little uncomfortable at the start but soon enough, you'll look forward to receiving them and eventually delivering some of your own. One of the rare perks I don't see often in other organizations will be my one-on-one weekly sessions with our Managers and Team Leads. These sessions have been truly critical in removing my learning roadblocks and accelerating my growth at HubSpot. The icing on the cake is the free books program and annual tuition reimbursement of $5k available to us to spend on educating ourselves. Overall, I'm just extremely grateful to be in an organization that values our personal growth and development - putting in place all they can to help us become the best versions of ourselves. My last and favourite perk at HubSpot. I can unequivocally say that it's going to be the people I work with. It's one thing to read about a set of values that a company say it will uphold and one thing to see them truly lived out by everyone day in and day out. At HubSpot, it's the latter - I've seen how each and everyone I've come across has lived the "HEART" values out and it's such a privilege to come to work some of the smartest, knowledgeable, humble folks I've known. The resolve to solve for our customer is really infectious. It's really inspiring to see people who are trying to become the best versions of themselves and in turn if motivates yourself. Also, I've never seen a company so happy for people who are leaving the company for further pursuits. Someone once said, "A good measure of a company is how they treat those who are leaving." and I think we rank pretty high in that regard. We have great vision and plans in the coming few years. Although I can't divulge much, I'm really excited about our growth in the coming years. I guess this my dream company to work for. So you can say that I'm living my dream now!

Cons

The following may not be con per se but they're definitely areas of concern for some people: - There are really high standards and a really steep learning curve. For some, it might be too metric-driven at times. Therefore, the intensity of the roles might not be for everyone. There's a high chance for burnouts. That said, the management has tried to improve this with health-related workshops (sleep, posture and... nutrition), providing a meditation room, building a safe space and enhancing psychological safety. - It's an extremely fast-changing environment. SingSpot operates a little like its own startup and it's a bit of a double-edged sword. While we're agile and adaptable, we can get a little disorienting for some. We don't have a lot of policies so typically you'll hear UGJ (Use good judgment) but that can have differing interpretations. Some see this as empowerment, trust and autonomy but some view it as a lack of guidelines. To each his own, I personally love it but a little more processes/systems and playbooks wouldn't harm. - We're also not as well-known in APAC and in Singapore as compared to HubSpot in other markets. So you might find yourself trying to even spell out "HubSpot" for some customers. I personally find that really exciting that we're in the process of making ourselves better known in the region. Some other areas for improvement KPI - Some of the metrics connected to performance used in this region may not be the most reflective of an employee's ability and can become customer roadblocks. They can be majorly swayed by cultural perceptions of scoring. Product - While I love the frequent product updates, we can improve the way they're shared. - Product adaptation to meet regional expansion goals can be enhanced. On the product front, more localisation and more language support are very much welcomed, especially in the APAC region. We're trailing behind in terms of mobile play and eCommerce play. - The ideas in the HubSpot Ideas Forum can be worked on more actively (especially those with more than 150 upvotes over an extended period of time). Career Development - Availability of certain roles in other regions may not be available in SingSpot, especially for more product-oriented and niche roles. However, internal mobility is great! Strategy - The playbook for certain markets such as India and some other Southeast Asian markets is still in its early stages and strategies from North America might not be as applicable. Cross-Collaboration - Cross collaboration/function can be improved - introduce more projects that require the involvement of 2 different functions Diversity, Belonging and Inclusion - Even though we are rather diverse in nationalities and ethnicity but we can be more conscious in embracing inclusivity and belonging. Comparing SingSpot to other offices, advocacy in LGBTQ isn't as strong. Also, the choice of restaurants and food preferences during social events can take more into consideration of Muslims, Vegetarians and Vegans. - Also, we have quite a skewed "younger" group of workers (mostly millennials) and the balance of some more senior workers could be useful for us. Giving Back - We can be more environmentally conscious - more conscious with choice of food vendors and in encouraging the use of own reusable cutlery. - We can also give back more to the community in Singapore e.g. Blood Donation Drive, Community Events and helping the elderly etc. Just a caveat here, no company is perfect and some of these are present in most companies of our nature (SaaS company, mid/large scale and trying to localise). These are simply things I hope we can improve on but I would still like to highlight that it's still one of the best companies I've worked for. This is so especially so when I’ve worked already for a few companies prior to HubSpot.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. But be mindful of preserving the core of what makes us who we are while striving to improve in areas we're lacking. I like how we never assume we're perfect but we do really try. I do really appreciate that most feedback is largely action upon swiftly. Looking forward to not just grow but to grow better with HubSpot and to build a company that our future generations will be proud of!

HubSpot2019-11-08

"Absolutely Incredible - I'm never leaving!"

Current Employee - Learning Designer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at HubSpot full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexibility (work from home, remote work, unlimited vacation) intelligent/positive/understanding people, motivated and proactive workforce, leadership is genuine and practices what they preach.

Cons

It's such a flexible work environment that it may be a huge shock to someone coming from the outside or from a very structured and disciplined background. This does not mean there is no structure or discipline, on the contrary, there's structure with purpose.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Thank you for being so open and transparent. The culture is second to none.

HubSpot2019-10-15
  5. "Sweet place"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at HubSpot full-time for less than a year

Pros

Unlimited vacation, flexible hour and awesome work

Cons

Not much i can complain

HubSpot2019-10-21
  6. "A diverse place of smart and inclusive people"

I have been working at HubSpot full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits - (true) unlimited vacation, medical insurance, and generally good work life balance, tuition reimbursement (allows you to pick up a new skill), free books program. People of various backgrounds and nationality bring unique expertise for work and also vibrancy to the culture. The benefits also form a part of the culture for example, weekly meals and wellness weeks are often celebrated by the... company. People are genuinely helpful, you can grow as much as you set yourself to.

Cons

Depending on the department you are in, it could lead to different experiences of team culture and management style. Some management styles do not suit certain individuals. However, this is something you can learn more of during the hiring process before making a decision (e.g knowing the direct manager you are working with, speaking to someone from HubSpot on the same role you are interested in). The manager you... work under most directly influence your experience at HubSpot on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Do not shy away from internal friction or close an eye to feedback, employees will always appreciate the management trying to resolve issues and acknowledging them, as much as there may be no solution at that point in time. We are doing well in many areas, but not getting complacent and continuously seek improvement will further enhance work culture for everyone to thrive in.

HubSpot2019-10-18
  7. "A job that I am truly happy to come into work for everyday"

Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Executive in Sydney

I have been working at HubSpot full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company has a very clear mission of helping millions of businesses grow better, and from the top, all the way down there is a true sense of actually caring for the customers, which makes working here very fulfilling. Especially when our greatest lead source is referrals because people have such great experiences of working with our team. The work/life balance is incredible, and although Sales can be very... stressful in any position, HubSpot does everything it possibly can to prevent burn out. Unlimited vacation time, benefits for exercise, free snacks and drinks, loads of team events, it makes it truly fun to work here. Not to mention, HubSpot is still a rocket ship, even years after going public, and there is no sign of slowing down. It is clear that with the number of promotions that building a career in the Sydney office has a very true path to personal career growth. One of the greatest parts of the office is how international it is, with the leadership team really focussing hiring the best talent possible.

Cons

Sometimes ANZ does feel like a true satellite office with other departments that we work with being located in either our EMEA or USA offices. It would be great if we had members of specific teams that we need to engage with located closer to Australia.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in growing the Sydney office, ANZ looks very promising!

HubSpot2019-10-14

"Not paid enough to do this job"

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Cambridge, MA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at HubSpot full-time for less than a year

Pros

Unlimited vacation time. Use it! Free snacks but all fairly junk food related besides rice crackers and raw veggies that people stick their hands all over.

Cons

You are 100% NOT paid fairly for the work they ask of you. I have been repeatedly been told that the first 6 months of training to be an entry level customer support rep is like "a firehouse to the face" with information. Too comfortable with blurry lines between management and team. I am going to a job to be there and better my job career not to socialize.

HubSpot2019-10-25
  9. "Best Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at HubSpot full-time for less than a year

Pros

Hubspot is the absolute best place to work for so many reasons. More than anything else, HubSpot puts their people first. Everything from working from home, flexible hours, unlimited vacation, parental leave.. (the list goes on) is such a powerful testament to how much HubSpot truly cares about their people. Being a relatively new HubSpotter that works from home - I feely truly valued and included, everyone does... such a great job of making you feel like part of a big family! I feel like I have all the resources I need to do my job well and truly appreciate all the amazing people I work with.

Cons

There are none.

Advice to Management

You guys do such a great job at making everyone feel like they belong and supported in their career and personal growth. Keep up the great work!

HubSpot2019-10-11
  10. "Culture"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at HubSpot full-time for less than a year

Pros

I really like the emphasis HubSpot has made on making an inclusive and belonging environment. Compared to everywhere else I've worked, the company seems so much more accepting of people with a variety of expressions, backgrounds, and experiences. Management also acknowledges that there is always room for improvement (and continues to take action to improve). There are many opportunities to get involved in DI&B... initiatives. There are a lot of perks like free food, dogs in the office, an onsite gym, working from home, and expensed team outings. I also view my coworkers as friends. My manager keeps my career growth in mind, and I receive clear and actionable feedback to work towards an eventual promotion. I also have a lot of independence to determine my own schedule/hours and the projects I would like to work on. Initially, I was skeptical of the Unlimited Vacation policy, but I have had no difficulty taking time off. My manager suggested taking off about 4 weeks per year + holidays which is more than what other companies I looked at offer for my role. I can also extend holidays by working remotely.

Cons

As HubSpot has grown, the culture and hubspotlife has not fully scaled. For example, the new office expansions (1C and 10C) have substantially fewer amenities and a much less social atmosphere than the main buildings. It's also been harder to sign up for traditions like Mystery Dinner and company outings. For software engineers, the work-life balance and burden of being on call can very greatly depending on the... team. For example, some teams are almost never paged, while others are paged multiple times a day.

HubSpot2019-10-11