Holland & Barrett Retail Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Holland & Barrett Retail Reviews

Updated 19 Jan 2020

3.2
Holland & Barrett Retail CEO Tony Buffin (no image)
Tony Buffin
Pros
Cons
  • "Still quite a lot of lone working but with progression being made hopefully this will reduce in the forseeable future(in 80 reviews)

• "Area Managers don't tend to visit too often(in 58 reviews)

1. "Store associate"

I worked at Holland & Barrett Retail part-time

Pros

Excellent place to work

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

None

Holland & Barrett Retail2019-11-07

"They are not trying to improve"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Holland & Barrett Retail full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are some amazing people who still believe the issues can be fixed.

Cons

Hours Pay Responsibilities do not correspond to job title lack of recognition lack of respest

Advice to Management

Hire some proper directors to direct where you want to go with the company. So many people believe in your mission statement but it is so hard to follow through when you are constantly ignoring basic employee standards

Holland & Barrett Retail2019-12-11
  3. "Great company"

I have been working at Holland & Barrett Retail part-time

Pros

Learn a lot of information

Cons

A lot of information to take in

Holland & Barrett Retail2019-10-23
  4. "Good environment"

I worked at Holland & Barrett Retail full-time

Pros

great management, pay and commission

Cons

unrealistic expectations for selling magazines/reward cards/mystery shop scores

Holland & Barrett Retail2019-10-18

"Thinking about working for Holland and Barrett...don't"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Holland & Barrett Retail full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good on line training scheme

Cons

Be prepared to not be listened to, not be paid correctly or on time. Pay increases after finishing training can take several months to go through, if at all. No way of contacting HR from store level. Hours being reduced on the day of working, ie having to send staff home early and reducing their hrs with no notice all whilst the company announces new store openings. No reply to pay queries for mths if at all, holiday pay not given correctly, payslips constantly changing making it hard to determine correct pay. Total disaster.

Advice to Management

Pay us correctly and on time , let staff contact HR by email, treat us better than just a number

Holland & Barrett Retail2019-10-09
  6. "Great Place to work. Plenty of training"

I have been working at Holland & Barrett Retail full-time

Pros

Great place to work. Work rate is praised. Really good opportunity to progress through the company

Cons

Can’t think of any cons. I’ve really enjoyed the past 12 months here.

Holland & Barrett Retail2019-08-30
  7. "Associate to Assistant Manager to Manager. >3 years"

Current Employee - Retail Manager

I have been working at Holland & Barrett Retail full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great team atmosphere among the region. Discount - 25% Product knowledge training Room to grow if you're interested Team in store normally very close First job as a young person and management saw potential and encouraged and assisted in growth in company.

Cons

Lack of communication from higher ups Lone working Staff turnover Over tasked at times with no extra hours

Advice to Management

Give the extra hours to eliminate lone working as much as possible. It's a detriment to morale, motivation, and theft.

Holland & Barrett Retail2019-08-29
  8. "Rewarding challenge with great support network"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Sligo

I have been working at Holland & Barrett Retail full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Staff discount (50% for a week near christmas), fantastic colleagues and supportive Regional Manager

Cons

You have to lone trade for some hours at work.

Advice to Management

Can not fault my regional manager. Will fight for everything we ask for but would love if communication within company between departments was clearer

Holland & Barrett Retail2019-08-29
  9. "Challenging but often rewarding"

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Holland & Barrett Retail full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work with a fantastic bunch of people, our area is like one big family and I’m lucky enough to have a really supportive RBM. Good team in store 25% staff discount 50% at Christmas Company runs incentives every few months with some really amazing prizes up for grabs. You can study to become healthy experts in food, sports, beauty etc which when passed can increase your rate of pay.

Cons

Deployment is extremely tight so if someone is sick it leaves stores very short staffed. Deliveries are once a week, often large quantities of stock with nowhere to put it in a tiny store room. Trying to comply with health and safety requirements is difficult, smaller deliveries of what we actually need maybe twice a week would work much better in my opinion. Promotion changeovers are difficult to get finished especially if you have a delivery the same day. Tills are constantly freezing Although things have improved considerably over the last 12 months work/life balance for managers could still be better. E.g not having to work Saturday’s. Lots of different targets that need to be reached on a daily basis can be quite stressful.

Advice to Management

Some of your managers go above and beyond their job description. It would be nice to feel appreciated sometimes.

10. "Enjoy my job"

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Holland & Barrett Retail part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Meeting people, training, helping others, learning, challenging, no day is the same, my manager, my team. I enjoy my job as every day it’s something different and I get to help people.

Cons

Promotion changeovers can be stressful, I would like more hours, part time means I only can pick up additional shifts to cover in other stores or when people are on holidays

Holland & Barrett Retail2019-08-28