Hays Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 9 Jun 2020

3.8
Hays CEO Alistair R. Cox
Alistair R. Cox
1,482 Ratings
Pros
  • "There are lots of incentives to work towards eg race days or office parties, very sociable and young working environment 'work hard play hard'(in 148 reviews)

• "Brilliant opportunities for career progression(in 145 reviews)

Cons
  • "Developing a successful career as an agency Recruiter does require long hours at times(in 464 reviews)

• "I would say just the working hours(in 131 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great place to work, good crack & great career path!"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Hays full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you put the work in, you get rewarded. Always know what your next promotion is and how to get there. Promotions are there if you work for them, with a salary increase each time. Great people to work with, everyone is friendly and pleasant it makes work easier. Great crack and work-life balance, Christmas party was in a lovely hotel for the night and all expenses dinner/drinks. Training is excellent, constant support from managers and no one minds answering any questions or helping out. I went one a couple of group days out in including go- karting, sky walk at croke park, pizza making and a couple more. These were half days, at company expense and a couple of drinks and food after, to bond with teams etc. It is great fun with lots of support. Would highly recommend!

Cons

I have made a great living from working at Hays because I put the work in, I read a review that says the salary is low but obviously that person wasn't working hard enough. It is a sales job!

2. "A great organisation and career progression"

Current Employee - Director in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Hays full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Open communication with Senior Management, excellent training and career progression. Clear understanding of performance expectations and support to receive this. Flexible approach to work life balance.

Cons

Compared to other industries benefits are ok. A reasonable proportion of pay is commission based which can be challenging as people mature and want to buy a property.

Continue reading
  3. "Great enviroment, great career plan"

Current Employee - Recruiter Trainee in Bogotá, Bogota

I have been working at Hays full-time for less than a year

Pros

Career plan, salary, work-life balance, inspiring leaders

Cons

Way too goal oriented, not so much people oriented

4. "Great place to work"

4.0
    Former Employee - Credit Controller in Sydney

I worked at Hays full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic place to work. Strong, supportive and approachable management team. Great work life balance

Cons

Can be intense at times. Work hard Play hard environment

April 15, 2020HR Advisor ANZ

We are delighted to hear about your experience with Hays, highlighting our supportive and meritocratic culture. Thank you for sharing your feedback and all the best for the future.

5. "it was a very great experience"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Lyon

I worked at Hays full-time for more than a year

Pros

work life/balance salary and comissions

Cons

nothing to say it was nice

6. "Amazing place to start a career in recruitment if you're willing to work hard"

Current Intern - Sourcing Partner
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Hays for less than a year

Pros

The social side of the office is fantastic, there's always charity events going on, nights out being planned and after work drinks, and the Christmas party was amazing. As soon as I walked in on my first day in the office I was invited to join the 5 a side football team by about 5 different people, told about the next few nights out that were planned and introduced to everyone on my team. After just a couple of weeks I pretty much knew everyone in the office. The company really focuses on training in your first 6 months, both from your manager, in classroom based week-long sessions with other colleagues from different offices at a similar level to you, and through online training modules. Although the hours are long, (42.5 hrs a week is standard), I'd disagree with people saying that work-life-balance is a con of working at Hays - they've introduced flexi time (although this is at your managers discretion and needs to be pre-arranged), there's the ability to purchase extra holiday days, and there is no expectation to take your work home - your weekends are completely yours and so are your evenings, often you cannot even access your emails outside of work. Hard work is always rewarded, from 'Star of the Week' awards as voted by other members of your team, lunches and after work drinks on your director if you hit targets, bonuses, and eventually promotions. Higher billers also get the opportunity to be entered into a company holiday competition, period end afternoons off for a lunch and drinks. Management are also incredibly supportive of both personal life and career progression, and will give up their time to have one-to-one meetings with staff to offer advice and help. I've often seen my director having meetings with junior staff giving them career advice, and also being very understanding of other staff members when they've had issues in their personal lives. This is something that I know a lot of the staff really appreciate. Every 4th Friday (period end) we all have beers/prosecco together towards the end of the day, and the whole office gets together to celebrate the achievements from the past 4 weeks, give out some company updates, congratulate people on promotions and have a laugh at some of the embarrassing things people have done in the past week. Usually everyone goes to the pub after, and then the younger members of staff tend to stay out quite a bit later. There's loads of benefits, but for me the best one, and the one I've utilised the most, is the online GP appointment service. You can literally book an appointment and have a video call with a GP on your phone for free within half an hour where they can diagnose symptoms and email a digital prescription for you to go and pick up on the same day. If you do need to go to an appointment face-to-face, management will allow you to flexi-time your work around it. I have to stress this is based on my experience in my team in my office, I think different people in different offices will have had different experiences compared with me.

Cons

KPI targets are set as standard, and don't always reflect the difficulty of the desk that you have. Some KPIs are unrealistic and unattainable. It's a very large company so (especially in compliance-heavy sectors) there's a lot of red tape and it's hard to be innovative. Some desks are very competitive, but that's the nature of recruitment. As an intern, doing the exact same job as other members of staff, it can be frustrating when you pay is substantially lower. The rate of pay was something that really put me off applying for this internship, but in the end I'm glad I did.

7. "Amazing Culture"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Hays full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have worked at Hays for sometime now and absolutely love the people I work with and the job I get to do. It is a challenging faced paced environment with a lot of support from the senior management team. They have a great on boarding and training program to help you succeed. You will get constant check ins and one on ones to help you achieve goals. The work life balance was a challenge at first but once you get a handle on the role and the urgency required to succeed it becomes much better. I would recommend Hays Calgary to anyone looking for an opportunity to grow their career and be challenged everyday. I cannot say enough good things about the culture and environment I work in, and the people I get to work with!

Cons

Not really a con, you need to be self driven and motived to succeed but if you are, you’ll love it at Hays!

Continue reading
  8. "Great culture and co-workers"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Plantation, FL

I have been working at Hays full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work-life balance. You reap the benefits of your efforts.

Cons

It takes patience and consistency build those relationships that will bring you steady business

January 27, 2020Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your experience. Wishing you all the best.

9. "Amazing opportunities"

Current Intern - Internship in Singapore

I have been working at Hays for less than a year

Pros

A very conducive environment with a very well structured training programme. Regular bonding activites such as wake boarding, rock climbing, laser tag, month end dinners etc. Work life balance is encourage! Work hard play hard!

Cons

You get the most out of it if you have a CEI!

10. "Global company that cares about each employee"

Current Employee - Regional Office Administrator

I have been working at Hays full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits, pay, work/life balance, awesome co-workers

Cons

need more flexibility to work remote

December 16, 2019Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review!

Found 43 reviews