Hays Employee Reviews about "work hard play"

Updated 19 May 2020

3.8
Hays CEO Alistair R. Cox
Alistair R. Cox
1,500 Ratings
Pros
  • "There are lots of incentives to work towards eg race days or office parties, very sociable and young working environment 'work hard play hard'(in 148 reviews)

• "Good benefits and training also good career progression, great people(in 147 reviews)

Cons
  • "Developing a successful career as an agency Recruiter does require long hours at times(in 467 reviews)

• "I would say just the working hours(in 132 reviews)

Reviews about "work hard play"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Hays full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture, work hard play hard. Staff are outgoing and easy to get along with

Cons

Hours can be long, but you are always kept busy.

2. "Excellent Career Progression"

Senior Recruitment Consultant in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Hays

Pros

Supportive management, great training, clear progression paths, rewarding job, constantly meeting new people and great work hard play hard culture.

Cons

Base salary is quite low but if you work hard the commission can more than make up for that, you have to be willing to put in the work though as with everything.

January 19, 2017Head of Internal Recruitment

Thank you Dublin! Great to receive your feedback and we wish you the best in your future career.

3. "Good place to work"

4.0

I have been working at Hays

Pros

Top class training, work hard play hard culture, good benefits

Cons

Base salary is poor. Turnover can be high

January 19, 2017Head of Internal Recruitment

Thanks for your comments and taking the time to complete a review. I will struggle to respond to your cons as I do not know your location - feel free to add it to your review and I can certainly give you further insight into packages and turnover.

"Great company culture who hire the best people!"

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Hays full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great atmosphere in the office, fantastic training and opportunities to fast track your career. Hays always hire great people, you cna develop really great working relationships with your colleagues. Work hard play hard-with plenty of opportuites for socialising. You are given the atonumy to run your own business, and your suggestions and ideas are very much welcomed by management.

Cons

Base salary is very low, and commission structure could be better, but there are plenty of opportunities to win incenitves. The earning potential can vary from desk to desk and is not always down to the individual who works on it!

August 11, 2016Head of Internal Recruitment

Appreciate your review and glad to hear all about your pros. In relation to your cons, we do bench mark our salaries so they are competitive in the market and the commissions structure is uncapped. Granted, anyone who's motivated by money would love to see a better comms scheme and a higher base salary so I understand why you've mentioned that. The one sure way to increase your base salary is to gain a promotion. Do you have a promotion contract in place with your manager? If not, it might be worth looking into that and you'll be able to find details on the intranet or, by all means, give me a call on 0203 465 0202 and I'm happy to guide you through the process.

5. "Opportunities are Fantastic"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Hays full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you are an ambitious person you can progress quickly. The training and development is fantastic. Hays are a work hard play hard company who like to reward staff with different incentives throughout the year.

Cons

Recruitment is a challenging role - it has its up's and down's and the hours can be long.

6. "Accelerate career growth and meritocratic culture"

Current Employee - Team Manager

I have been working at Hays full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The workplace runs with a meritocratic and work-hard play-hard culture. It provides clear career advancement and promotion goals and plans. As a fresh grad that joined, given the clear goals and direction provided, I am able step into management in an accelerated timeline. The place celebrates and rewards top performers and high achievers. After a couple years, the place also gives opportunities for me to explore new challenges and initiatives.

Cons

As the place has relatively higher standards in terms terms of targets or productivity level. For the first few years, new joiners will need to put in extra effort and time if we are to aim for fast-track promotions - this can be tough for many new joiners when they are adapting at first.

Continue reading
  7. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter

I have been working at Hays full-time

Pros

Hard work gets recognized, can make great money if in a local market.

Cons

If you do not like competing, and making a name for yourself & don’t like the phones this will not be for you.

April 6, 2020Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your 5 start review. Glad you are here at Hays.

8. "Hays Wakefield- A great office if you are looking to build a career in recruitment"

Current Employee - Business Manager in Wakefield, England

I have been working at Hays full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The Hays Wakefield office is a fun, friendly, work hard, play hard environment, good office culture and the autonomy to build your own desk, motivational management who have a wealth of experience and knowledge and offer support accordingly to help with career progression.

Cons

Long hours of work, but you get out of it what you put in to it.

9. "Great training and development opportunities"

Current Employee - Manager in Melbourne

I have been working at Hays full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good training, a clear development path to leadership. Work hard play hard culture.

Cons

Can be a little political, salaries and commission could be higher.

March 5, 2020HR Advisor ANZ

We are delighted to hear about your positive experience with our industry leading training and development opportunities at Hays. We are proud of our fair and transparent commission structure that allows employees unlimited earning potential based on performance. We would recommend that you share your feedback with your Manager or our HR Advisor, Danielle Marshall at Danielle.Marshall@hays.com.au.

10. "Amazing place to start a career in recruitment if you're willing to work hard"

Current Intern - Sourcing Partner
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Hays for less than a year

Pros

The social side of the office is fantastic, there's always charity events going on, nights out being planned and after work drinks, and the Christmas party was amazing. As soon as I walked in on my first day in the office I was invited to join the 5 a side football team by about 5 different people, told about the next few nights out that were planned and introduced to everyone on my team. After just a couple of weeks I pretty much knew everyone in the office. The company really focuses on training in your first 6 months, both from your manager, in classroom based week-long sessions with other colleagues from different offices at a similar level to you, and through online training modules. Although the hours are long, (42.5 hrs a week is standard), I'd disagree with people saying that work-life-balance is a con of working at Hays - they've introduced flexi time (although this is at your managers discretion and needs to be pre-arranged), there's the ability to purchase extra holiday days, and there is no expectation to take your work home - your weekends are completely yours and so are your evenings, often you cannot even access your emails outside of work. Hard work is always rewarded, from 'Star of the Week' awards as voted by other members of your team, lunches and after work drinks on your director if you hit targets, bonuses, and eventually promotions. Higher billers also get the opportunity to be entered into a company holiday competition, period end afternoons off for a lunch and drinks. Management are also incredibly supportive of both personal life and career progression, and will give up their time to have one-to-one meetings with staff to offer advice and help. I've often seen my director having meetings with junior staff giving them career advice, and also being very understanding of other staff members when they've had issues in their personal lives. This is something that I know a lot of the staff really appreciate. Every 4th Friday (period end) we all have beers/prosecco together towards the end of the day, and the whole office gets together to celebrate the achievements from the past 4 weeks, give out some company updates, congratulate people on promotions and have a laugh at some of the embarrassing things people have done in the past week. Usually everyone goes to the pub after, and then the younger members of staff tend to stay out quite a bit later. There's loads of benefits, but for me the best one, and the one I've utilised the most, is the online GP appointment service. You can literally book an appointment and have a video call with a GP on your phone for free within half an hour where they can diagnose symptoms and email a digital prescription for you to go and pick up on the same day. If you do need to go to an appointment face-to-face, management will allow you to flexi-time your work around it. I have to stress this is based on my experience in my team in my office, I think different people in different offices will have had different experiences compared with me.

Cons

KPI targets are set as standard, and don't always reflect the difficulty of the desk that you have. Some KPIs are unrealistic and unattainable. It's a very large company so (especially in compliance-heavy sectors) there's a lot of red tape and it's hard to be innovative. Some desks are very competitive, but that's the nature of recruitment. As an intern, doing the exact same job as other members of staff, it can be frustrating when you pay is substantially lower. The rate of pay was something that really put me off applying for this internship, but in the end I'm glad I did.

Found 148 reviews