Hays Account Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Hays CEO Alistair R. Cox
Alistair R. Cox
  1. "Average"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Sandyford

I worked at Hays part-time for less than a year

Pros

Staff were responsive but the onboarding process was average.

Cons

Disorganised Management. Sometimes they forgot to make pay you.

Hays2019-05-29
  2. "Worse than cancer"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Calgary, AB

I worked at Hays full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Absolutely none. Hays is a failing company.

Cons

Having a management team that expects absolute perfection or you're fired. Laughably worse than the competing agencies. Toxic work environment that fosters a workplace around fear and favoritism. I wouldn't wear my seatbelt driving to work in the hope that I would get in an accident. Miserable experience.

Advice to Management

They aren't open to change. No point.

Hays2020-01-14
  3. "Rewarding"

Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Hays full-time

Pros

With any company that has multiple locations, there can be some differences. However, across specialisms and across most locations where I’ve known recruiters and account managers throughout the US, there’s a pretty constant theme of fun people, who are people people, and who want to work hard to get results. I’m a high performing member of the team, which always helps, but my managers will certainly go out of their way to listen to me and allow me flexibility where needed, even though I’m not incredibly senior yet and they’re quite busy in their daily work as well. Also, the career path is nice. If you want to be a high level individual contributor for your career, great. If you want to move into management, great. There are plenty of options for career growth.

Cons

This job is not for everyone. Some folks aren’t used to working hard to be rewarded for it. They want to work minimally hard and be rewarded greatly for it. Or they see well performing members of the team and think they should automatically be that successful and have as much flexibility on day one. You have to work for it. But when you do, you’ll be making bank and calling your own shots. You just have to decide if you want to work for success or hope that it falls in your lap.

Advice to Management

Most have already been addressed and are being implemented, or at least talked through.

Hays2019-12-06
  4. "Great place to learn, probably not to stay long (Hays Japan)"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Tokyo

I worked at Hays full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Best training in the market You'd really have to underperform or do something illegal to get fired here Lots of events, end of year parties, and annual conferences to attend Depending on the team, very relaxed and fun environment Very results-driven environment

Cons

One might argue that the company is set up to benefit those paid on P&L, rather than providing an excellent service to clients and customers. I have heard that middle managers have a terrible time managing between the upper management plans and the staff level realities. One might say this place would only be fitting for new grads who are a bit eccentric. Married, mature, or introverted personal may not fit in well. Sorry, but not a great name in the Tokyo market.

Advice to Management

Have a better understanding of how your staff feel to avoid further staff from leaving. Stamping out the culture of working two years at Hays and leaving for something better should be addressed. Create a more mature environment, that was as results-driven as before.

Hays2019-12-02

"Stay Away: Low pay, no recognition, blatant biases, bad management"

Former Employee - Key Accounts Manager in Toronto, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Hays full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are some good people at the company - fun to work with. Good to get the initial recruitment experience and nothing else. 4 weeks of vacation.

Cons

For a sales job that pays commission, the commission amount is embarrassingly low (5% or so). There is very little financial incentive to hit/exceed targets. Not to mention no one knows how commission is actually calculated. The base salary is also very low, and the benefits (health/dental etc.) are not good. There is no flex time and no remote/work from home options. The managers are micro-managers and will lie to your face about what you can achieve. The managers are the ones raking in the big dollars while the work is done by others. KPIs are their sole focus. Prepare to be micromanaged. You won't be recognized for any sort of accomplishment unless you happen to luck out and inherit some clients. There is very little loyalty shown to employees. The moment any KPI or whatever it may be dips a little, they show no loyalty and thus there is a culture of fear prevalent where anyone can get fired. They will kick you out and forget all about you. Shockingly poor empathy. There are clear biases within some teams. Tenure or whatever does not matter if the manager does not like you, they will give the opportunity to someone else. The VPs in the office have no real qualifications to speak of other than the fact they've been at the company a long time. They don't secure big deals, they don't do work with large established companies because those companies use other recruitment agencies. They conduct meetings in a way a sales person with a year of experience can do, there is nothing special about the leadership and thus don't expect any opportunities or support from them to grow the business.

Advice to Management

Time to replace upper management. Other DIRECT competitors work with far better clients than Hays. All the VPs do is scrape the bottom of the barrel companies. Managers and Team Leads need to learn how to people manage and create a better culture where not everyone is afraid for their job. Tone down the micromanagement. Show some loyalty and empathy. Redo the entire commission structure. No one can explain how commission is calculated. The commission amount is laughable.

Hays2019-11-11
  6. "Good"

Current Employee - Key Account Manager

I have been working at Hays full-time

Pros

diverse, work life balance, nice view

Cons

I can't think of anything.

Hays2019-07-30

"Poor Experience"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Toronto, ON

I worked at Hays full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Organized Training -Friendly staff -Office is in a good location

Cons

-Poor management - Pay structure - Team leads are somewhat unqualified to manage

Advice to Management

-Improve communication

Hays2019-06-24
  8. "Hays"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Hays full-time for more than a year

Pros

Office Culture Commission Structure Access to management Room for growth within company Competitive benefits

Cons

No cons to report at this time

Hays2018-12-17
  9. "Hays"

Current Employee - Associate Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hays full-time for less than a year

Pros

Hays is a great place to work for. They have a great culture within the company and have great benefits to offer employees.

Cons

There are no downsides that I have seen thus far. I have been working with Hays for a couple months and really enjoy it.

Hays2018-05-10
  10. "Love it here!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Hays full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work hard, play hard environment. Prepare to work your tail off, but the reward is great!! Awesome commission structure, lot of money to be made, great team building activities, extremely collaborative environment. Everyone on my team is willing to help if they can. Being a newbie can be daunting, but having the assistance of great managers and teammates makes the transition easy. Awesome training program!

Cons

Long hours, be prepared to put in a lot of work early. Some really long days, but they will pay off in the end.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! The morale of the office and the culture speak for itself.

Hays2018-03-22