Handy Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Updated Nov 21, 2019

4.0
Handy CEO Oisin Hanrahan
Oisin Hanrahan
Pros
  • "My wife was using it for cleaning gigs, but they lowered pay for housekeepers so now she only cleans her own houses(in 46 reviews)

• "Flexible schedule is the only pro(in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • "Cleaners pay A LOT of "service fees"(in 90 reviews)

• "The Customer cancellation rate is extremely high(in 68 reviews)

1. "Not a good pay, cleaners coming and going"

Current Employee - House Cleaner

I have been working at Handy part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good when desperate enough to pay your bills.

Cons

Peanuts instead of money. Thhey cant expect professionalism and pay bellow London minimum wage.

Handy2019-11-21

"Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Handy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work environment focused on growth. The company definitely acknowledges peoples' hard work and successes. Feedback is highly encouraged across all levels. Alongside quarterly and annual reviews, most people have regular 1:1s with their team leader as well. Accessible C-Suite/Execs. Good Benefits & Perks (for the most part) - Unlimited PTO (they really do mean it, so long as you get your work done!), great family leave policy, catered lunch and dinner, regular team outings

Cons

Nothing major. No 401K match - but fingers crossed it's happening soon.

Handy2019-09-03
  3. "Amazing company"

Former Employee - Online Marketing Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Handy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Catered lunch, great office, amazing people.

Cons

wages are lower than average

Handy2019-09-10

"Great culture."

I have been working at Handy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- There's a huge focus on feedback. There are channels set up to encourage feedback across all levels and all departments. Hiring managers go through extensive training to ensure they know how to support people as *real* people. Consistent quarterly reviews + annual review for everyone. - So many brilliant and creative coworkers! I feel lucky to work along side the team at Handy. The executive team is well respected but has not been put on some sort of pedestal. Very easy to talk to. Open door policy. - Work hard play hard. Teams are encouraged to go on team outings to get to know each other outside of their day to day jobs. The company wide retreat is something I look forward to every year. - Free snacks, lunch and dinner are always a nice perk too.

Cons

Continue to work on communication and transparency to broader org. It's critical everyone is aligned and has a clear view into upcoming goals and growth.

Handy2019-08-29
  5. "Best Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Handy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Frequent acknowledgment of your hard work, constant new, challenging projects to work on, visibility & transparency on company performance and high-level goals, people managers who actually care and develop their teams, unlimited vacation as long as you're getting your work done, best maternity/paternity leave policy of anywhere I've worked, nice & cool co-workers.

Cons

If you want an easy job where you just coast this isn't the place for you.

Handy2019-08-29

"shady company with shady business practives"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Handy full-time for more than a year

Pros

typically tech company benefits, unlimited* vacation

Cons

this company engages in duplicitous and unethical business practices towards its customers and contractors alike. It's even trying to change laws to screw its contractors even more

Handy2019-07-28

Handy Response

August 30, 2019SVP of People

Thank you for taking the time to post this review to our Glassdoor page. With millions of completed jobs & an average customer rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars, we are proud of our service offerings and disagree with your characterization of how we treat customers & pros alike. And we proudly support efforts to modernize laws that allow companies to provide additional support to workers while also supporting the platforms by clarifying existing laws, ultimately keeping existing jobs and paving the way for future growth. Unfortunately, when someone posts a message to our page, Glassdoor is unable to fully verify their identity in relation to their employment. This means you may or may not actually work here. But if this review is indeed from a Software Engineer at Handy I strongly encourage you to talk to me personally about your concerns. I am likely only sitting a row or two away from you. Or, you can use any of the multitude of internal feedback channels and we will work hard to address any issue that you raise. Thank you, Mike Wanderer SVP, People Operations

Continue reading

"Great job for early career development"

Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Handy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fairly easy to get in Friendly staff Straight forward expectations

Cons

Metrics driven You will be watched like a hawk

Handy2019-05-18

"A Great Place to Advance Yourself"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Handy full-time for less than a year

Pros

I interviewed with a number of companies on my way to accepting my role here, and Handy stood out immediately with the efficiency, honesty, and thoroughness of their recruiting process. After a first email with them, I got on the phone with the recruiter the next day, and scheduled a follow-up call with the department head the following day, where we discussed the role in detail. They gave me a case study to give a presentation on the following week. The project was highly relevant to my role, which gave me confidence that they knew exactly what kind of person they were looking to hire. Handy flew me out to New York for a final round of interviews with the exec team the week after that. I accepted an offer shortly thereafter. The whole process took about 3 weeks altogether. Since I've joined, I've noticed that the efficiency and honesty I enjoyed during my recruiting process are seen throughout this company. Everyone is incredibly bright, projects get off the ground fast, and there really aren't a lot of politics with my work. The open communication here makes all of this possible. Every company should strive for more of this.

Cons

As far as startups go, people tend to work longer hours here than other places. I'd say this is more of a result of the very high bar of expectations rather than a culture of "last person in the office is the most impressive" though. So, not necessarily a bad thing -- for me this was actually a refreshing change of pace, and necessary for my personal career development. But if you aren't willing to have some longer days than you're used to every now and then, it could be a con for you.

Handy2019-01-15
  9. "Companies with development potential and long-term cooperation"

Former Employee - Sales in La Plata

I worked at Handy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I came to Handy to work on the recommendation of my friends. The environment here is really good. Free lunch and dinner. Solve the problem of eating for single people like me. Leaders are also very friendly to their employees. If you are willing to work hard, the company will give you the opportunity to cultivate potential employees, which is a company worth looking forward to.

Cons

Work is tiring, leaders need to be more concerned about the physical and mental health of employees

Handy2019-01-14

"Do not work here - company is going nowhere fast bc of poor management"

I worked at Handy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you like companies that aren't growing where nobody is held accountable for their results, definitely work here! If Oisin and Umang like you, you can keep failing upwards as long as this backwards company stays solvent. People have gotten promoted all the way up to senior leadership despite their projects consistently flopping (just google cheapo cleaning, like seriously) because anyone who's any good left this sinking ship long ago. It's pretty clear that senior leadership should've stayed for their second year at business school instead of dropping out.

Cons

Company is not growing. Your equity will be worth nothing. Company treats the cleaners and handymen on the platform like they're not even human. The only reason the company is still solvent is that the legal team and their lobbyists have succeeded in getting the courts to effectively pay cleaners below min wage as quasi-legal independent contractors. As an engineer, it was very frustrating to have extremely little input in the business side of things when it was clear that the people in charge of the business side had no clue what they were doing.

Handy2019-02-01

Handy Response

March 1, 2019SVP of People

Thank you for taking the time to write this. The issues you raise are concerning and inconsistent with our core values and what I see each day in the office. Particularly on the engineering side where we have a strong and deeply tenured team. Our people and culture are our greatest assets and we are committed to developing a world class team. If you are willing, I would like to take the opportunity to talk to you about this. Please contact me directly to discuss. Thank you, Mike Wanderer SVP, People Operations

Found 110 reviews